cycle route to Oxford Circus

bawdy-nan

If you want to avoid the elephant roundabouts go through Hampton Street, Churchyard Row, Brook Drive and then onto Kennington Rd and from there up to Westminster Bridge. Well, that's the way I used to do it. Should only take about 20 mins from Elephant to Oxford Circus.

The only way really is to go round parlaiment square, up whitehall, up lower regents street and onto regents street and there you are.

It's not too bad because the roads are wide, you could faff around wiggling through covent garden and soho if you go over waterloo but I think that's more dangerous and much longer.

I agree with Asset - head Parliment Sq, Green park and up onto the bond street area, much easier. Also get on the Old Kent Road as quick as possible, its fast, lots of cyclist's and a big bus lane never had any problems. Head Past Imperial war museum, over lambeth bridge and into Parliment Square.

Both Asset and AllforNun are right. I used to go through Camberwell and hit the Vauxhall Bridge head-on, hang right and up past the Tate (Atterbury St, Marsham St, Broad Sanctuary) to Parliament Square - mainly because E&C isn't good with a hangover, and hangovers always follow the route most travelled. But I've just had a look at the 14km route that TfL's Journey Planner recommends, and it includes Vauxhall Bridge, which is a fairly good indication that the Lambeth Bridge route will be better. Happily, it includes no other streets that have been, or are likely to be, recommended.

After getting to Parliament Square, I prefer Horse Guards Road (past St James' Park) to Whitehall. If you've got a thing for bendy buses or bearskins, Whitehall's fun, but I prefer pelicans. Then right and through Admiralty Arch, turn sharpish left, along to Piccadilly Circus and up Regents' Street. Come to think of it, that bypasses Parliament Square (you turn left off Broad Sanctuary into what might be Little Sanctuary, nipping up past the Red Lion (?). It's a cobbly bit, and interesting when it rains.

I work just up the road in Portland Place and go over waterloo bridge, through Covent Garden, onto Charring Cross Road, then take a left off Tottenham Court Road. Have never had any problems with this route - takes me between 40 and 45 mins.