FREE infant first aid/resuscitation training

To all parents...

If anyone is interested in doing an infant resuscitation/first aid course, can I recommend the training session offered by London Ambulance Service. They offer a free one hour session that covers choking, resuscitation, burns and scalds, and knocks and scrapes. A load of us did the training today, and it was very good, if a little scary.

The course is free, although technically you need to hire out a room as they do not do the training in private homes. However, the chap who did our training said that he would be willing to bend the rules and do it in a home with sufficient space as he recognises it is not easy to find an appropriate space. We used the room at the back of the Gardens cafe by Peckham Rye - this usually charges around ?20 per hour but we negotiated it for free on the promise we'd all buy lunch and coffees!

It is also possible to do the training on a weekend, although you would need to book quite a way in advance I think, so Dads can attend too...

The chap to contact is called Norman Abbott, and his email is [email protected], telephone 0771 780 7054.

I would strongly urge any new parents who haven't attended a first aid to contact them.

Alternatively you can get a free guide to infant resuscitation from St Johns Ambulance at this link: https://www.sja.org.uk/sja/support-us/the-difference/get-a-free-first-aid-guide.aspx

Suzy

Is v good that it's free (and some training better than none) but that's alot to cram into 1hr - how big was the group and did you all get to practice the resuscitation and choking techniques??

Will declare a bit of interest (purely for transparency) as I occasionally teach for The Parent Company; but would suggest that if learning first aid, while bumps/burns/wounds can be talked through and you'll learn, for resuscitation and choking hands on practice is essential in making it a skill that is remembered (whoever teaches you).

I did the London Ambulance course a while ago. I hired the space at The Herne for a few forumites. The landlord did say to us, if in the future he could add one of his staff to the course, he'd donate the space for free. As I say it was a while ago but worth asking if anyone's considering getting a group together.

I did the London Ambulance course a few years ago and it was really, very good. Having done a 'proper' first aid course (i.e 2hours a week over a term) some years ago I can reassure you Buggie that I learned & retained as much with LAS as I did with the longer course. When I did the LAS course with some friends they did two types. One for small babies, and one for toddlers and you chose which course was appropriate for you. Do they still offer this?

Glad to hear it SW, is just that I'm use to how I teach it and for all listed to be done in an hour, with hands on practice included for resus/choking (and me to be able to check/help each participant with technique) I'd struggle to have more than 2 people in the class... guess I'm a resus perfectionist!! :))

We had about 15 people in the class I'd say, and Norman had about 6 dolls to practice on. He went round checking technique and I'd feel confident (or as confident as you could be if it actually happened) to use the techniques.

I'd say that the LAS is worth using, and if you feel you need more practice, then you could always do a longer course.

Just fyi I have posted this same thread in the family room classifieds section, and there are a couple of people interested there too.

And yes, I think they do still offer two separate courses for babies up to a year and toddlers.

The space needs to be as big as the number of people coming. Norman's attitude was the more the merrier as long as everyone can see and hear him.

Glad this was useful.

I did an antenatal class in the room above the Mag, we all meet every friday afternoon for a babyclub and so I am planning on asking all the mums there if anyone wants to do it, potentially we could use that space as it would be big enough for 20 or so I reckon.

I'm interested too - although what do you do wih toddler and baby whilst doing class??? Think it may not be logistically possible to find a time I can do (work pt and then have two babies other days) but would like to try.

Hi everyone, just to say I did get the private messages so thanks. I'll have a chat on Friday at babyclub and see what happens with the mag, will report back. Reckon there are prob at least 10-15 who are interested. I'll call the number too and see what the deal is and then post a message!