Thwarted burglary? 3am doorbell

legalalien

Doorbell just rang at 3am - took me a little while to get downstairs, when I got there there were three sets of people on scooters / motorbikes parked across the road, they yelled something at me, appeared to be consulting a map or piece of paper, and then rode off. There had been a loud knock at the door at around 9:15 or 9:30 last night that I didn?t answer. It?s a potential burglary, no? Am now a bit anxious. Tried ringing 101 to report suspicious activity but gave up after being on hold for over 15 minutes with message that there was a lengthy wait time. Should I ring a police station or fill in the online form (bit pointless as nothing very concrete to tell them)? Feel like I should tell someone.

Yes do tell the police - if nothing else it'll help them build up a picture of potential areas to watch - and next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) something like this happens, call 999. Police advice is to use 999 "when someone suspected of a crime is nearby" - I think three lots of scooterists ringing your bell at 3AM certainly makes them suspicious. The police will take you seriously and anyway, the worst that can happen is that the operator will transfer you to 101. Hope you're not too shaken.

It's becoming worryingly difficult to get support from the police in non-emergency situations. In the last few weeks I filed a crime report online (no response apart from the automated one), called 101 (permahold + 'we're busy dealing with emergencies' message - why, when I called the non-emergency number?) and called the local Safer Neighbourhood Team ('no one available right now', left a message, no response).

Sad lack of funding means petty criminals have been given tacit permission to do as they like, with no fear of consequences, and we're now on our own.

If it's non urgent I'll just report it online and not expect a response - if it's certain crimes you do need a crime number and that's all the police expect you want.

I don't expect an individual investigation but if a higher level team is investigating I'd expect it to be added to their list (as it were).

legalalien Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rang 101 this morning and reported - much shorter

> wait time so I guess there are more operators on

> at 7am than at 3am!

Or also probably less potential crime at 7am than 3am?

Hope you aren't too shaken, it sounds very scary.

In general I would avoid answering the door in the early hours, unless you have good reason to suppose that someone legitimate might be calling. If you don't have a door viewer it is worth getting one installed so that you can see who's there (and a chain so you don't have to open a door fully, if you have to open it at all). A collection of moped riders outside your house at 3:00am and ringing your door would warrant a 999 call in my view. This was, at least potentially, an active incident.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Perhaps some link with the travellers who were

> camped close by last week?

Perhaps some link with many possible people.

Why single out travellers who evidently aren't even there any more?

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Because it's very recent and they were responsible

> for a number of crimes while they were there:

> breaking and entering, trespass, damage to

> property, dumping of industrial waste and theft

> being the main ones, as far as I'm aware.

But that was all related to the place where they were staying, wasn't it?

There was no evidence that they committed any crimes anywhere else, was there?