Dodgy (?) guy calling door to door

edanna

We've just had someone round claiming to be from a company doing some kind of 'free assessment' of the outside of houses, but he was very hazy on what they actually do and much keener to find out when we're normally in and what our phone no. is. Sounds suspicious to me. According to him the phone no. on his literature is 'just an information line and so not much use really'. Mmmm. Especially having read the burglary thread, I'd be wary of giving this guy any info.

A young Asian girl called on our house last Sunday with the same story. It was something to do with a survey in the area about subsidence. She also was keen on finding out a good time to ring us in the evening to discuss it further, but we didn't give her any information. About half an hour after coming to our house, I saw her running down the street giggling with another male "colleague" or whoever. Very dodgy. All this door to door soliciting by power companies/gas companies is also becoming obnoxious. I feel like investing in a "beware of the dog" sign!

I was at home this afternoon at about 3pm when a guy called at the door. As I was about to go out and didn't want to be delayed with gas meter reading or whatever, I didn't answer, but expected him to drop something in the door along the lines of "sorry we missed you" etc. He rang the doorbell twice (looked like he had a clipboard of sorts) but he didn't leave a calling card which I though was a little weird, but now on reading this it's possibly suspicious. When I left the house a few minutes later I didn't see any likely utility van or anything around. (happened on Heber Road)

A young guy came round a couple of days ago, he must have been no more than 15 or 16 years old. He had a clipboard and said he was working for a company that assesses the exteriors of houses, for damaged brickwork, etc. He said that the company would make an appointment to call for a free assessment. He was reading directly from a script on his clipboard so was clearly very inexperienced and I think I noticed someone working the other side of the road too. He offered me a flyer but I told him I wasn't interested and he didn't get pushy. I don't think he was necessarily scoping the house for burglary purposes but I also don't think a company that user such people to canvas for business would be reputable either.

In the last couple of weeks we've had a few 'Cold Callers'. Can't stand 'em, don't care who they or what they want, (even if they flash a plastic badge at me) they get a very hostile reaction when they ring my doorbell - the fact the my dog goes mental as well usually sends them back over the gate. I get concerned for my elderly neighbours though. Time we had a No Cold Calling Zone in SE22.

Last Tues night a man called at our door at 2am. He claimed to be looking for an address but never apologised for waking my partner or myself up. He had a clipboard and said he was looking for Kinsale or Kensal Rd - he said he had to deliver something had got lost and currently had no money on his mobile phone with which to call the address. He then asked if he could use our phone, my partner was thinking of letting him use it on the doorstep at which point I hit the roof, told him to make him leave and to call the Police, which he did (although I must say reluctantly!). Peckham Police Station said it sounded suspicious but that they hadn't had any other complaints about this character yet. He was a black man in his late 20's about 5ft 11". The Police also sent a squad car round to see if he was on the streets, which made me feel a lot better. My partner at the time said he thought it might have been legit and felt uneasy about turning the man away despite my fears, but once he'd had a chance to reflect, he also realised he had been ridiculously naive, I put it down to him being half asleep. Something was obviously going on though I'm not sure what he was hoping to achieve... maybe he was legit but who cares... it was 2am!!!