Breakfast ideas?

My daughter is getting fed up with weetabix and cheerios which are the cereals we tend to have. Any suggestions of alternatives that are not packed with sugar but which children like?

She also eats yogurt, toast and fruit but that's about the extent of our breakfast menu and I think she would welcome a change!

Clare

My kids tend to have a selection of shreddies, rice krispies, cornflakes, cheerios & weetabix. Porridge always goes down well, I put raisins in it for them. They never have just one of those options, always two, and they tend to both choose different combinations which is sometimes a bit much for my brain to cope with early in the morning! But I figure if it means they'll eat a decent amount of breakfast I'll do it.

As a "special weekend treat" last weekend I gave them cocoa pops and neither one liked them, they both asked for "normal" rice krispies. Oh well, looks like Mummy will have to finish the box then... :)

English muffins (not the sugar packed American ones), crumpets, toasted bagels, baked beans or spaghetti hoops (we go for the low sugar/low salt variety). Our kids also reject sugary cereals (for treats), even though they like the look of them if they see an ad. Funnily enough I have one that will only eat rice crispies for breakfast even though he is offered a choice.

I've started making Bircher muesli and my 2 year old loves it. Dead easy; soak whole oats in good quality apple juice overnight in the fridge then top with fruit (grated apple, fruit purees, blueberries or whatever) and a dollop of yoghurt. I make a big batch and we eat it all week. Yum.

Grating fruit (apples, pears etc.) a good tip which a friend gave me, makes oats or rice pops more interesting. Son 1 likes bran flakes but I try to mix with other cereals so not too much refined sugar.

Other cereal - oatibix, special k, rice crispies, all favourites in our house. As our weetabix minis with raisins in, but surprisingly sugary.

I tend not to worry so much about variety at breakfast though, and just try to vary stuff later on.