>

> > The packs

>

> Sally Eva organises cycle packs.

>

> She should be able to tell us what guidelines she

> has in place to minimise her packs intimidation of

> individual cyclists.

Oh don't be so ridiculous. Sally Eva and Southwark Cyclists offer a slow paced guided ride to small groups of novice cyclists who want to be shown safe routes into town. Making out that they're some sort of highspeed intimidating pro peloton just makes you look foolish and demonstrates your frequently displayed bias against cyclists.

ETA I've passed the "bike trains" several times and they're notable for their caution and courtesy. Personally I find half ton chunks of metal travelling at 30MPH+ (and often +++), often piloted by aggressive, distracted and/or unskilled persons, somewhat more intimidating than a small group of people pootling into town on bicycles.

wulfhound Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I like cycling but I wouldn't want to in London.

>

>

> Out of interest, what do you think the main

> barrier is? Only because, personal experience,

> country roads can be worse than town: high speeds,

> blind bends, and when you do encounter an "A" road

> it's a 70mph dual carriageway with two miles

> between crossing points. Also the wide spaced road

> grid in the country, and bigger distances

> generally, means less chance of finding a direct,

> and therefore short enough to cycle, route between

> any points A and B. Cycling in rural Ireland is

> lovely, for example (apart from at pub closing

> time) but at the same time pretty useless for

> actually getting anything done as everything is so

> spread out.

There are just too many bad drivers in cars and larger vehicles for me to feel comfortable enough to cycle around here. I have seen many near misses and a handful of times seen cyclists laying in the road after accidents (luckily none too serious) and I have no interest in becoming one of these.

Champ Wrote:

> There are just too many bad drivers in cars and

> larger vehicles for me to feel comfortable enough

> to cycle around here. I have seen many near misses

> and a handful of times seen cyclists laying in the

> road after accidents (luckily none too serious)

> and I have no interest in becoming one of these.

I do sympathize but worth noting that with the new segregated cycle paths it's now possible to get from Peckham Library to Canary Wharf, Hyde Park Corner/Lancaster Gate and Farringdon without sharing the road with cars except for a half a mile of quiet backstreet between Burgess Park and Elephant - plus more to come.

edcam Wrote:

> Promising.

> https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/camberwell-br

> idge-set-re-open-vehicle-traffic-next-year/

It would be great if the bridge opened to cars again. It is not clear from the article if re-opening is slated for Feb/March or a date for TFL to try to fix the cracked beam? Either way fingers crossed. Most routes into or out of ED seem beset by large scale works and blocks of some type. Very poor management by Southwark.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New update from Southwark

"Network Rail plan to carry out safety works to the bridge involving replacement of part of the substructure. These works are due to commence in mid May but require the removal of the entire infrastructure above the bridge. Consequently, to avoid opening the bridge for only a few weeks followed by significant disruption removing the recently installed infrastructure, and to significantly reduce the costs to the council, [assuming objections to reopening are overruled] the width restriction, street furniture, and associated traffic signal works will be carried out following completion of the Network Rail works.

...The worst case scenario is that the bridge will be open to 3 tonne vehicles by the beginning of August."

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/roadworks-and-highway-improvements/bridges-subways-and-walls?chapter=2

• 3 weeks later...

Letter through the door today from Southwark and Network Rail saying that FINALLY the works are timetabled.

14th May - 2nd August. Phased closures of parts of the Grove, footpaths and cycle path section at the bridge.

They say this info will be available at this link - http://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/roadworks-and-highway-improvements/bridges-subways-and-walls?chapter=2

But nothing showing there yet, so roughly:

14/05 - 02/08 (daytimes) Full road closure and one footway open. Cyclists to dismount.

25/05 - 29/05 (day and night) Full closure to all traffic, pedestrians and cyclists (including closure of McNeil Road)

Scheduled to reopen for vehicles of less than 3 tonnes from Friday 3rd August.

Frankly can't wait!