Another nappy thread...too much wee!

Hi

I have a bit of a nappy problem and need some advice - my daughter goes to bed around 6.30pm and we put her in a size 3 pampers baby dry nappy. (she is currently around 12 lb 6). At 11pm we give her a dream feed and at 3am I give her another dream feed (we are waiting until after her 12 week growth spurt where we will start leaving her to wake to see how long she can go!). The problem is that her nappy only lasts as long as the 3am feed and even then it is starting to leak. She seems to wee so much that I have to change her which then obviously wakes her up, cue screaming and general wide awakeness. If and when she starts sleeping through the night I dont want to have to wake her just because of a nappy change but otherwise not only are her clothes wet, it goes through her sleeping bag and sheet and I cant be washing these every day! I thought it might be worth perhaps trying her in a size 4 nappy at her bedtime and seeing how long that goes, has anyone else tried this?? SOunds stupid but we have just bought loads of size 3 nappies and I dont want to spend money on a size 4 if it wont work or if it is too big.

So, anyone else had this problem, how do your babies get through the night?? Does my girl just have a huge amount of wee!!???

Jenny

I have been through this same problem and without the dream feeds (although there were frequent unscheduled breastfeeds). In my case the nappies where the problem - we were using Huggies and they were useless.

I can recommend the Pampers active baby ones - we are still using the size 3 at 6 months. They are very light and thin out of the pack but seem super absorbent. I also used to change baby at around 11 to minimise chance of leaking in middle of the night.

Perhaps start to reduce the amount you give at 3am so as to phase out that feed eventually? If she is between nappy sizes that may add to the problem.

Ah its such a pain isnt it!!!?? I might try the active baby ones in case they help, thanks for the advice. Eventually I am going to try and phase out the 3am feed but just want to get her growth spurt out of the way in case it makes everything go wrong in the meantime! When you changed at 11pm did you find there was no leaking?

Jenny

The change at 11 helped (changed before giving a feed) but not always. Seriously the Huggies nappies used to leak day or night sometimes the wee simply went everywhere but inside the nappy. The minute we switched to the Pampers active ones we stopped having the problem. He still sometimes leaks in the morning but that's without any changes since around 7pm and one dreamfeed at 11.

Have to say I would be surprised if she was a size 4 though - my 2 yr old still fits into size 4!! My 11 wk old is in size 2's by night and cloth by day - and has a couple of night feeds - you are welcome to have a go with one of my cloth nappies if you like? Maybe even just a wrap over a disposable could help?

I suppose the nappies all work differently depending on shape/boy girl etc...

Maybe try a couple if different brands. I found huggies terrible for leaks but didn't really like pampers either. Of the ones I've tried I found sainsburys little ones Eco to be really absorbent, soft and slim. Also seem more generously sized than the pampers. My baby is about 17lbs now and still in the sainsburys size 3 whereas 'the pampers size 3 are too small. Also as the night feeds cut down she should wee less at night.

Thanks everyone! Yes we change her before the feed, most necessary due to her protest at being woken for a change! I think we'll try changing her at 11 instead of 3 and see if that helps. As she feeds less from 7pm-7am hopefully she might wee less!

Thanks for the offer of the cloth nappy - I might take you up on the offer after I try size 4 and changing the time, we've tried all the brands including all the unrecognisable brands in the pharmacy. Pampers seem to be the noblest bur granted they all seem to have good and bad. I do agree huggies were terrible, really awful!

Shes not even 3 months yet but the size 2 is snug so size 3 and 4 it is!!!

Weird isn't it - my littlest is def heavier than yours Jenny and I reckon over the advised weight but size 2 fit just fine...

ps Has anyone tried the ocado 'eco' nappies Attitude - they are RUBBISH!! An entire pack of size 1/2 going spare here...