The Curry Cabin

seanmlow

I'm dissapointed to hear that Dodo1. I was hoping things might have changed since I last (and first time) tried the CC when I moved to the area nearly 4 years ago and felt exactly the same way. Their claim to fame is that they were the very first curry house in South London. Unfortunately, nothing seems to have moved on although I must admit that from memory the staff were very hospitable and welcoming. I hope they read this thread because it would be good to get another decent curry house close to Dulwich Heights.

Curry Cabin serve the same bog-standard, grease drenched curries you'll find all over the country. The same goes for most of the places on LL. It's fine if you just want somthing to soak up the beer, but Tandoori Nights is the only one I'd go for something which actually tastes good (and doesn't repeat on you for 24 hrs).

I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this. It's definitely food for when you've stayed a bit longer than you'd intended in the Bishop and don't fancy cooking. I'd disagree that it's like that all over the country though - there are some excellent places on Brick Lane.

I only went back to CC because I thought it might have improved but really there's not much to choose between the curry houses on LL. I've tried them all and they're really hit and miss - even TN can be disappointing if they're having a really busy night. There's a lot of corner cutting going on too - you order a sag dhall and then find it's been bulked up with sweetcorn instead of lentils.

Oh ok - I see what you meant!

Preem on Brick Lane is really good - I went there with a mate recently and the food was exactly as described on the menu. You could taste all the spices and there was very little grease.

I was too when I moved to Lordship Lane in '99. It was great - and so was Day of the Raj (now Pistachio Club).

LL looked a bit different then. Nick Weston still had Spaghetti Western (now Gourmet Burger King) which I think he should have kept as it was - it had real character. Franklins was called SE22, The Palmerston was called the Lord Palmerston and was a spit and sawdust down-to-earth boozer. The Bishop was called The Forresters - same kind of thing. Then there was the original Somerfield which was a LOT more basic than the air conditioned shop you've got now.

One of the nicest places was Redgewells - which is now Green and Blue - you could get a great cooked breakfast in there.

The feel of Spaghetti Western was great - it was a very cosy, funky little restaurant and he had a great chef there for a while (Anthony Worrall Thompson-trained). He tried to go upmarket with Westons and all the character was lost.

Curry Cabin is OK. However, there is one great dish in there which is the only one worth having and that is the lamb shank bhuna - they get the lamb shank from William Rose and marinate it for 24 hours, very tasty. Rest of the food is average though.

Cant beat Tandori Nights, every dish cooked from scratch with fresh ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...

is the oldest indian on LL i think they started in about 1970ish they are from bangladesh AND the specials often delicious ,i always ask for dishes i know not to contain colour try captains patilla or chicken tapeli the methi dish is always good and the prawn puri starter YUMMY

the staff are welcoming and friendly the service amusing they will add garlic add corainderjust ask .if you are all fooled by the ikea restyles of the like of surma and pistachio club then good luck to you and at the risk of libel action i have seen the inside of the kitchen of most of your guys favourite restaurant and it need a damn good clean !!!!

i rate kastoori in tooting its vegetarian its fabulous its delicious especially mr thankis noted tomato curry thye are friends of the guys in smbs as i recall

Frisco Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "I loved it when it first opened....when it was

> practically a gutted shell of a house with small

> dark rooms, hard seats but fantastic cakes and

> great coffee served in cafetieres..."

>

> Seconded. However, the last time I went in there

> it seemed a shadow of its former self.

Its been crap for all of the 21st century.

I've just got home and, having got off the 176 at Budgens, the first thing that hit me was the smell of the Curry Cabin. Then I thought, 'shall I go in and just get a curry?' but remembered what happened a few Fridays ago when I got a takeaway from there and suffered the consequences next morning. They should create a new special and call it Grease Madras (aged cheaply-sourced chicken offcuts, disintegrates quickly in the mouth, marinated im generic, overly-spiced sub-Somerfield reheated fatty sauce, guaranteed to irritate your bowel next morning). Another delighted customer!

Domitianus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The popularity of the Blue Mountain never ceases

> to amaze me. Rude management, indifferent staff,

> mediocre menu, high prices, cramped....exactly

> what is it that I am missing?

I thought I was the only person who thought this! They are especially rude and unhelpful about children, and they are always full of kids. I wouldn't bother with it...Jacks rules in our household.