Burglars

Polly D

Polly, so sorry to hear of burgulary. We were burgled a few months ago. All asleep upstairs at the time, which is a bit scary. Stair gates probably saved us them coming upstairs. They got in because we had not deadlocked the front door (my fear of fire)and thankfully only stole mobile phones and car keys - three Mercedes parked out the front - two very expensive ones and our A class, they probably thought they had hit the jackpot but alas only got our 6 year old cheap version. Apparently used it to empty two other houses that night. No longer fear fires and deadlock door every night.

Here's a simple tip - just get a desk lamp or other light in your living room and attach one of those plug timers to it so it comes on during the evenings when you would normally be up and about!

Maybe even have your radio come on too.

So simple to do and may make your house/flat not such an obvious and easy target!

Also get a trusted neighbour to pop in every few days.

Polly.. sorry for goonish unsensitive post.

Communal area security is often problematic and therefore neglected: flat A wants a buzz-in system, flat B is too tight to contribute to the cost, flat C has a deathly fear of being deadlocked inside a burning building and not being able to find the key, flat D doesn't want to come down three flights of stairs to open the door.. been there!

Glad to hear the DL is in place.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Polly.. sorry for goonish unsensitive post.

>

> Communal area security is often problematic and

> therefore neglected: flat A wants a buzz-in

> system, flat B is too tight to contribute to the

> cost, flat C has a deathly fear of being

> deadlocked inside a burning building and not being

> able to find the key, flat D doesn't want to come

> down three flights of stairs to open the door..

> been there!

>

> Glad to hear the DL is in place.

Why not solve this issue by fitting BOTH a Yale-type snib lock and also a five lever mortice deadlock? That way you could enjoy the security benefits of locking your door with two locks but if, in the middle of the night your house catches fire, you could open the door swiftly with the snib-lock; yet, on those occasions when you have more time, you could open the door by unlocking the deadlock? Simple!

We had an attempted break in on thursday night, we live at teh top of LL near Upland Road as well so that is obviosuly the area they are targetting at the moment. My wife got in at 10pm, and discoverd it. Luckily our door was deadlocked, so they just did a lot of damage but didnt get in. We have an alarm (which was on) with a box on the front, and that didnt deter them. We also have a bus stop within full view of our house, so amazed no one heard or saw anything on such a busy road as LL... Anyway we were lucky, and just need a new door, I hope the police manage to catch them soon.

Domitianus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>> >> Why not solve this issue by fitting BOTH a

> Yale-type snib lock and also a five lever mortice

> deadlock? That way you could enjoy the security

> benefits of locking your door with two locks but

> if, in the middle of the night your house catches

> fire, you could open the door swiftly with the

> snib-lock; yet, on those occasions when you have

> more time, you could open the door by unlocking

> the deadlock? Simple!

What's a snib lock?