Burglars

Polly D

Came home from honeymoon to find we'd been burgled ... they 'only' got into our communal area but this was enough to steal a v expensive bike. They ripped our letterbox off and maybe squeezed a (thin) arm or some device to open the door. This was the top end of Upland Road so watch out chaps (it happened last Monday night, late we think).

I am sorry to hear that Polly. Which end of Upland is considered the top end?? It seems to be becoming a bit of a hotspot, attempted muggings in Northcross Rd with the poor child escaping to Upland Road... motorbikes repeatedly pushed over & now burglaries. I say up the community spirit & I will most definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for anything untowards.

GG

The end which comes out onto Lordship Lane, past the library. Yeah, the mugging in North Cross is a horrid story and I hope the poor girl isn't too traumatised by it.

I have to say, our neighbours were brilliant and sorted a lot of stuff out for us while we were away, like getting door fixed, sorting out keys, coming in and turning different lights on etc. so we do feel the community sprit is working. However, in the middle of the night, I reckon it's a different story.

Still, could have been worse and I just wanted to warn others that there could be other similar incidents; check what can be seen through your own letterbox.

What a horrid thing to come home to. Thanks for the warning! The local bobbie used to do an update which would tell people if there had been a spate of burglaries in the area recently. Haven't seen that newsletter for a while though - does it still exist?

"They ripped our letterbox off and maybe squeezed a (thin) arm or some device to open the door."

On a very practical point, folks (let's get something out of a sad story) - deadlocks, deadlocks, deadlocks! If I have understood Polly's description of the method of entry correctly, this would not have been possible if there had been a good deadlock that could only be opened with a key. The problem with Yale-type snib-locks is the moment anyone gets a hand to them (through door, window, letterbox - whatever) they can open them. A deadlock can only be opened from either side of the door if someone has a key (or is good at picking locks - I accept that, but burglars tend to go for the easy option). This means that, even if a burglar gets in through a window, patio etc, they still can't use your front door to make off with your larger items. We have a nice locksmith on LL so maybe folk might think of reviewing their security. And, no, I have absolutely no connection with or commercial interest in Callow but simply wanted to point the needy in a local direction.

Sad story, nonetheless, but I am sure Polly would be pleased to know that others have become safer as a result of her post.

yep deadlocks are the definitely the best method here - especially if you are in a flat!

We insist on having the main front door deadlocked at all times - the yale locks are just way to easy to open via the 'slip' method or even a doctored key. If you know what you're doing you can easily slip a yale lock with a plastic coke bottle - I know I've done it myself...when locked out of my flat!

another tip for you all....if you are going on holiday and you decide to get a taxi with your baggage - make sure you use a reputable firm - it's very obvious to the taxi driver that you will be away for a while - it only takes a word from them to a mate and ........

A burglar would always go for the easiest option they would burgle a house without alarm than

one that does.Get a huge alarm box outside your front door and that in itself should be a good enough

deterrent.If my neighbours went off at night and it rand loud and long enough then of course ill see

whats happening.