Rubbish in Melbourne Grove

Luana - I completely agree with you! I have my suspicions about who it is but can't see why they leave it in thin bags on the street KNOWING that the contents get thrown all across the street - it's disgusting and selfish. I have posted a thread on this and posted on the East Dulwich Councillor thread (this was before I saw your piece). Could you also post to the councillor too so we can get something moving on this?

P.s - Minder I don't think she was blaming the foxes and cats, merely the selfish idiots who do this on a weekly basis. It's bloody horrible treading in bits of leftover food, broken glass, nappies and even a used sanitary towel (yes, I know it sounds funny but it's true). It's also really unfair on the poor litter collector and council workers too. If it was right on your doorstep you wouldn't like it all

Hello there, I wonder if you can help. We have someone on Melbourne Grove that continually leaves their rubbish on top of, or around the public street bin near the old Post Office opposite No.5. This rubbish is left out exposed on the street EVERY single week (usually on a Sunday/Monday) and because there are a lot of foxes in the area, without fail the bin's contents will be scattered across the whole area when it gets dark. Obviously this is extremely unhygienic as well as dangerous because often there are food products, sharp tins, sanitary refuse as well as broken glass strewn across the whole street attracting vermin such as rats, as well as foxes and pigeons (as seen in the picture).

Plenty of times I myself have put the bins in my own wheelie and tried to help, but sometimes I get to it too late and a hungry fox has already ripped the bags open and spilled the contents everywhere. I think that whoever is doing this is creating a lot of work for the poor litter-collector that regularly cleans the street (and does a fine job) as well as spoiling the area and making it generally unhygienic and dangerous as mentioned - basically I worry that one day a small child may be injured on this broken glass.

I would like some help with a solution - maybe a sign could go up about fly-tipping on the lamppost beside the bin, and if the residents who are doing it don't have a wheelie bin (maybe they are in a flat with no front entrance) perhaps they could be supplied with an industrial wheelie bin with a lock or be allocated with one nearby.

Please help!

• 4 months later...

Just wondering where this got to with the councillor? I can't see any update on the thread but I've noticed it is still an issue. It's depressing to see all that rubbish strewn across the pavement on the way to the station. It seems crazy that the council pay for a street cleaner to clean Melbourne Grove pretty much every day, but don't address persistent offenders.

And yes, I have already reported it :)

Hi bel123,

I'm afraid i can't keep tabs of every thread on the forum if by councillor you mean me.

Southwark Council have changed their street cleaning regime. They now sweep our streets once a month and litter pick roughly every other day. So around those parameters our street will look messy to varying degrees.

I voted against these changes but sadly they were passed.

Hi James

In this instance I think it is a specific site / offender that is a routine issue (rather than the general level of cleanliness in Southwark) that is being referred to. It is on Melbourne Grove on the approach to the station before it goes round the corner near the row of shops. I pedal past each day and rubbish is routinely strewn across the street. Easily fixed and whoever leaves their rubbish out in a loose bag ought to be ashamed of themselves / taken to coventry / issued with an ASBO or whatever...

Judging by the thread above this was specifically reported on 9th May but it is still happening. I don't know if those that reported it have a reference or anything.

More generally, if the streets are being cleaned every other day, then the street cleaners must be seeing this on a very frequent basis. Is there any mechanism to collect feedback from the street cleaners so that things like this can be addressed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I posted the original message and I believe the issue has worsened and with the refuse collections being cut this is even more of a problem. Every week poor Melbourne Grove and the area near the station is littered with rubbish and I know it is flats No5-No7 and I also know that this has been reported many times to Southwark Council, but it's still happening as unfortunately the council are toothless.

I know that as No5-No7 are flats they are not allowed wheelie bins and as James Barber told me they cannot leave wheelie bins out as they have no driveway. However I disagree strongly with this, as surely unsanitary mess caused by rubbish strewn across the street only to be picked at by vermin such as rats, pigeons and foxes is far worse than some bins taking some of the real estate off the pavement?

With the new flats that are being built in place of the old Post Office and Thai restaurant this issue is only going to get worse. I do feel very strongly about it as it reflects badly on the whole of East Dulwich as Melbourne Grove is an area that sees a huge amount of traffic, as is the Train Station which also feels the affects of this littering. Also the bin outside Mark & Son is often on fire - the newsagent owner told me that lit cigarettes are often thrown in the bin and the workers have to get about 10 buckets of water to put it out each time. This has got worse since there are less collections and one day something terrible will happen if there's a fire and they aren't around.

Now really the solutions are simple:

1. Get a bin which has a cigarette disposal unit built on top

2. Give the flats wheelie bins OR a specially designated area for industrial bins that they have access to nearby

3. More litter collections

4. Here's a thought - let's stop wasting money on putting down speed humps that will only be removed when the buses are diverted down Melbourne Grove again (in case TFL sue them for ruining their vehicles), only for the humps to be put back a week later... and so the cycle of madness goes on.

Bravo Kate Ford!

Couldn't agree more - I'd rather have wheelie bins taking up a bit of space than continually wade through old tins and nappies. I called Southwark Council as well and a nice lady said she was aware of this problem as it has been reported many, many times.

And it's still happening. Sort it out please Mr Barber!!!

Kate Ford are you sure it's the flats? Round my way( hindmans ) the street cleaners take the blue bin bags out of the street bins and thoughtfully leave them out overnight for the foxes to tear open .And generally , the streets of ED do look pretty filthy. But hey, at least the council can turn out funky new recycling bins . Good to know they've got their priorities straight.

I was just thinking how dirty the streets of Derwent Grove have become since I moved here 5 years a go, where on earth are the street cleaners - I haven't ever seen one (ok I don't go out of my way to try and catch one)..

I am hoping that the additional revenue raised from CPZ's (controlled parking zones) will go toward the general upkeep of our streets.

End of rant, and the beginning of realisation that my post probably doesn't belong to this thread...

Could not agree more with katefords post! As a resident of that end of m. Grove I am disgusted most mornings on my walk to the station.

Several flat tenants have approached the council on numerous occasions re getting bins of some sort and have had no help, on my last call we were told the only option would be to collectively organise collections (as the shops do) but it would be at our expense. They have refused outright a large bin as they state there is nowhere suitable to put it even though a. The pizza place has one outside (albeit business) and b. We have suggested appropriate places (I.e by the old hospital entrance).

The response we consistently get is to continue putting bags in the street and also keep reminding us it's against the law to use other people's bins or place on top of litter bins.

So really we have no alternative and most do put their bins out first thing so rubbish is not strewn about but we would really like a solution to this also.