Sickened by the amount of dog poo in the streets of ED

Dog owners of South East London: most of you are vigilant and responsible when it comes to cleaning up dog poo in the streets however there is a small minority of selfish owners/ walkers who seem to think it is ok to leave mess on the pavement for someone else to stand on. As a dog owner with a dog who likes to poo in random street places, I would not dream of leaving MY mess for someone else to deal with. Is it too much to ask peoPle to ALWAYS carry poop bags with them and to clean up after their furry friends? It is true that we could do with more binz but sadly, not even that would encourage the lazy/ selfiah minority to act properly. Does anyone else out there agree with me?

Frankito,

Of course, all community minded dog owners pick up after their dogs, because we don't like stepping in dog doo either. In the same way, most of us put our litter in bins, adhere to speed limits and would give up a seat on the bus for an elderly person- it's called being socially aware, and I believe those who break one part of the code are likely to break the rest.

"What to do about all the dog pooh in Dulwich." - we had the same problem in Jennings Road but a small, underground, action group put up some signs and we have all been watching out for some time for offending owners and their dogs - guess what- it seems to have worked - it's just the foxes now it seems!

Take action into your own hands!

PandG

We have a little doggy and always pick up, i wouldn't dream of not doing. At least 2 mornings a week we open our front door and there is a pile in front of our door or Jacks Cafe, it annoys me so much. Unfortunately there is a small minority of people around these parts that think a dog is a fashion accessory and to pick up a pile of poo and be a responsible dog owner would be extremely "uncool". The last time i confronted someone i was told to foxtrot oscar. I'd rather pick it up myself than go through that again. It's only going to get worse in my opinion as the streets are getting filthier with the government cutting back on street sweeping....:X

My solutions are as follow:

be responsible for the path outside your house and if it is covered with any kind of litter, including dog or even fox poo, pick up and dispose of in your bin. If you see dog poo whilst out and about and you can bear to do so, pick up and dispose of in nearest bin. If we all got in the habit of carrying a few plastic bags it would be feasible.

Of course, you can also monitor and watch for offenders, but may expend a lot of time and energy without the results you want.

Finally, if someone is caught in the act of not picking up after their dog, they should be fined, very heavily. They won't do it again.

I'm sure the bulk of people will find the first suggestion risble/beyond the pale but I really don't think we can always rely on the council to get this stuff right- pulling together as a community to do the dirty work , as well as the fun stuff, may produce the best results.

PandG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "What to do about all the dog pooh in Dulwich." -

> we had the same problem in Jennings Road but a

> small, underground, action group put up some signs

> and we have all been watching out for some time

> for offending owners and their dogs - guess what-

> it seems to have worked - it's just the foxes now

> it seems!

>

> Take action into your own hands!

>

> PandG

Totally! Me and Mr KM1 were commenting just this evening how the 'action group' (big thank you owed to you Mr PandG) seems to have worked, we've gone from a poo slalom to relatively faeces-free street, fabulous!

PandG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "What to do about all the dog pooh in Dulwich." -

> we had the same problem in Jennings Road but a

> small, underground, action group put up some signs

> and we have all been watching out for some time

> for offending owners and their dogs - guess what-

> it seems to have worked - it's just the foxes now

> it seems!

>

> Take action into your own hands!

>

> PandG

I love it! Poo Patrol go.

the situation is going to get worse, having picked up some poo bags from the library today and was told that Southwark are no longer supplying waste bags and that once current stocks are gone we will have buy bags from the pound shop!

PandG,

Want to add my congrats to your action group for Jennings road I walk through there everyday with my dog and have noticed the difference and it was quick! Was just wondering if your group actually caught anyone or was it the threat that solved the problem???

IMHO getting poo bags from pound shop is not really a lot and you get 300 in a box so it lasts months and in this area of ED the council's provided at least 1 bin in each street for us to put it in so we don't have to carry it too far.

If memory serves me right wasn't there a link somewhere for dog DNA? I know it would be costly to start with but put fines up for the culprits and it will pay for itself???

The Jennings Road action group against dog pooh continues its close monitoring, as it's an underground group we cannot divulge details of the actions we are and continue to take! However we can say a big thank you to the dog owners who have respected our signs by taking correct and appropriate actions when their dogs do doo doos! The action group may well alter signage accordingly! Another thought - all the signs that were placed in the road by the action group have, to date, been left untouched!

PandG