Hindmans Road gathering

Twirly

Anyone know what the deal is at the section of Hindmans Road between Tyrell Road and Nortcross Road?

Last Friday my wife walked past about 11:30pm and said that she had been disturbed to see the whole road filled with people generally milling around, but in complete silence.

Tonight I walked past at midnight and the road was full of literally hundreds of predominantly black people just milling around, and an eerie 'murmuring' where they were all chatting, but not loudly. Some music, but not very loud.

Lots of BMWs Mercs etc, all double parked, but you'd have trouble driving through the crowd.

It felt really creepy, because you'd normally expect to hear loud music and 'party' level conversations and shouting etc. Instead you just walk around the corner and into a vast crowd in the dark.

Is it some sort of vigil, silent disco, dogging even?

Anyone know what is going on on Hindmans Road tonight?

I've just driven up it on my way home at about 1.45am and there were lots of people milling about on the stretch between Upland Road and Tyrrell Road. That's not a problem, but what was were the dozen or so cars double parked on the left hand side. Had to drive up the right hand side and was very lucky there wasn't anything coming southbound.

It's the second time I've noticed this on that road - last time was during the day in the last couple of weeks, and there were only 2-3 cars double parked (I was on foot that time), also a lot of people milling about drinking.

Last Friday morning there was a massive group of people out on the streets after what seemed to be a funeral or memorial service at the church, lots of people drinking, lots of extra cars etc. Do you think it's something to do with the church?

A woman died at a fire in Peckham last week and it is at her mother?s property the wake was held. Yesterday was the ninth day after the death, and traditionally that is the big get together. Around 150 people+ attended.

Why they could not be in her big garden (30meters +) rather than in the front of her house, I have no idea.

Thanks for the explanation Selma.

I was a bit worried that it was going to become a regular occurence I have to admit, twice in one week. However it was clearly for a specific reason. It was the double parking that got me last night. Even at 1.30 in the morning, that shouldn't be happening no matter what is going on as it's potentially dangerous. Fantastic send off though - must've been quite a party. Very sad circumstances though.

The tradition is that people visit up to the 9th day (hence you would have seen people all week) but the ninth day (i.e. last night) was the ?big one?.

As a resident of Hindmans Rd I am happy to relate there should be no more gatherings.

Yes I'm on hindmans too. Had assumed it was bereavement (I am of caribbean stock)but only found out this morning it was the daughter who died. Quite shocking news. Poor commentary on my neighbourliness that it took so long for me to find out. I am told authoritatively that it's unusual for each of the 'nine nights' to be observed so fulsomely.Will have to pop round to offer condolences. A terrible blow for the family.

We live a few doors away and have no complaints.One of the residents of the house came round yesterday evening to tell us there would be a lot of people and that it would be the final night. Sure - there were a lot of cars double parked but still plenty of room to drive by. It was a very peaceful occasion and not at all 'creepy'. I hope we can live together accepting other people's traditions.

I often notice funeral gatherings in the pub down the road (non-black people), but there's lots of drinking involved, hanging around the streets pretty late and quite a bit of noise. Parking is also a problem on these occasions.

The large gathering of people and double parked cars on this occasion shows how well respected and well-known the person was, that so many wanted to pay their respects.

Everyone celebrates their funerals/wakes/memorials differently, we need to be considerate of that and not assume there's some kind of gangland activity going on.

Why can't the mourners do both? Why not be respectful of the deceased and his/her relatives as well as the people who live nearby who have their own lives to get on with? The idea that the whole of the street should genuflect to another, non-local group (ie. the mourners who, if coming by car, are obviously not from the exact locale) is erroneous. It is sad that someone should die and it is commendable that her friends and family should pay their respects so fulsomely, but it is also sad - and very solipsistic - that that any mourner should think he has the right to ignore those of the living people around them.

No, I am coming across as fair and balanced. Did you read the line in which I praised the mourners' commitment to honouring their bereaved friend/relative? Did you understand that I support their sticking to their cultural practices? My point is (see the word 'solipsistic') that well-functioning societies require thought about others at all times, and that waving the 'this is my tradition' flag doesn't mean you can do what the heck you like, no matter who you are.

Prissy to you, respecting of others to me. Perhaps you think there is some cultural/racial/class undertone to my comments, but I assure you there is not. I just do not think it acceptable for anyone to keep awake other people by congregating in the streets well into the early mornings because of extended mourning. We live hugger-mugger in London, practically cheek by jowl, and what might have worked in other parts of the country/world doesn't always work as well here.

No, no Nero it's not the content of what you say. It really is the tone. Do this solipsism-busting mental exercise. Visualise yourself standing on the doorstep of the disabled elderly woman whose daughter has just perished in a fire. Now picture her face as you expound your treatise on cultural relativisn. See what I mean about prissy and dickish ?

We lost a loved one last night, we are all finding out way with the grief, funeral next week, that might help people through. Feel free to comment on our grieving process, moan about the inconvenience of our parking at the funeral and score points over whatever you like, if it lets these poor people grieve for their daughter without judgement.