Curse of gentification

sally buying

Back in the dim golden past when urchins frolicked in the chip papers and everyone used the bagwash and had paraffin heaters, shops were open five and a half days at best with no Sunday trading and half day closing.

But we were happy then, though we were poor

Because we were poor! We used to live in a tiny old house...etc etc.

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> sounds more like a challenge than a request!

Couple of throw pillows and a faux Banksy and wallop. Grand Designs and the cover of the Observer Mag. dead cert

You all scoff but the sad reality is gentrification continues to divide communities between the haves and have nots more strinkingly than ever. Yes there are positives, but the negatives far outweigh those. If you allow the market to run riot, humanity becomes nothing more than a transit commodity, whose worth is dependent on its monetary value. Very sad.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> You all scoff but the sad reality is

> gentrification continues to divide communities

> between the haves and have nots more strinkingly

> than ever.

There have always been haves and have nots.

Have you not noticed?

All business people are opportunists, DF. Whether what they trade in appeals to your personal tastes or not, they all depend on the business working commercially - no minimum wage for the self-employed. Even charities, whose primary motivation isn't profit, have to be financially viable. These days it's only in the public sector that workers are cushioned and removed from this reality.

Any area may be in one of three modes - stasis; gentrification (improvement?); decay. Some clearly prefer stasis (but in fact that can rarely be achieved and many would consider it unattractive) - in which case of the choices gentrification or decay I would prefer gentrification. Stasis can only work/ will only happen when the population is entirely static, and when the economy is stagnant - if you live in a dynamic city (and I like doing so) then change is inevitable, and I would prefer change to be improving, not decaying, my environment.

Houses of Parliament..

In a state of Decay.. Full of asbestos.. Dangerous wiring.. Crumbling masonry.. no longer fit for purpose..

Lets have some Gentrification here. Pull it down and build a new one.

Why spend Millions on trying to repair it. ? Perhaps keep The Elizabeth Tower.

Fox

Sell it to Malaysians, they can repair it and make it into an hotel or apartments, move Parliament to Birmingham. And give no second home allowances so all the MPs have to live in a clean but basic hostel. Then we'd get genuine public servants who have a calling instead of failed lawyers who like the trappings and the expense accounts.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

>

> The grimmest place I ever worked was Windermere,

The grimmest place I ever worked (well, did a placement) was Collier's Wood.

:(