More antisocial behaviour since installation of super bright street lighting

Ever since extra, brighter street lights were installed on my road there has been an increase in individuals hanginging out at night. Currently there is a football game going on at gone midnight which has woken my baby. The council at the time installed several light shields to address complaints about the direct effect on peoples ability to sleep, but there is no mitigation do the sleepless nights caused by bored youths who now congregate in the floodlit street. Apparently the lights were upgraded because it makes people feel safer. But I wonder if there is any evidence of whether it effects low level antsocial /nuisance behaviour?

Hi rahrahrah,

Please email me where you're experiencing this problem and we'll try and resolve it.

NB. the brighter street lighting not only reduces the fear of crime, in some instances will reduc crime hotspots and uses significantly less electricity than the previous light fittings.

Hi kford,

Referinig people to a campaign against street lighting is hardly likely to be a balanced website.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi rahrahrah,

> Please email me where you're experiencing this

> problem and we'll try and resolve it.

> NB. the brighter street lighting not only reduces

> the fear of crime, in some instances will reduc

> crime hotspots and uses significantly less

> electricity than the previous light fittings.

>

> Hi kford,

> Referinig people to a campaign against street

> lighting is hardly likely to be a balanced

> website.

James, that is not a "campaign against street lighting", as you put it.

I quote:

CfDS is a campaign for quality lighting. The Campaign acknowledges the need for lights at night, and we do not suggest switching off any necessary, unobtrusive light.

What CfDS campaigns against is the misuse of lighting. Lights should be no brighter than needed, and they should only illuminate the area needed to be lit for the time necessary - not neighbouring areas and the night sky. If street lighting is present, it should be just that: illuminating only the street, and not shining into people's homes without their permission, or above the horizontal.

As you will see if you scroll down that page, there are sections on *both* sides of the argument.

So James, the big, big heading that goes...

"Lighting does reduce crime: The evidence"

and all the subsequent links...?

such as

Home Office Research Study 251, Effects of improved street lighting on Crime: a systematic review by Farrington & Welsh

You're telling us that's not on that page at all?