> last year when he jumped a light and he cycled off

> without saying a word, despite almost coming off

> himself. It winded me and I couldn't get up for

> several minutes. It's made me view them as a

> danger and they really don't like to hear that

> they are dangerous. I think they are battling

> through traffic all day and just see pedestrians

> as another thing to battle. In the pecking order,

> pedestrians are at the bottom of the pile.

I'm very sorry to hear you got knocked down. I'm a cyclist and I certainly wouldn't leave the scene of an accident like that. The one time I've been involved in one - a pedestrian looking in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic marched quickly across the width of the pavement and into the road - I stopped.

But that takes me to the point I was going to make. I'm afraid to say pedestrians are the biggest danger I face as I cycle through 8 miles of London each way each day. They do the daftest things with no warning whatsoever. So many of them are plugged into ear-wrenching music that ringing your bell (and mine's loud) makes not a jot of difference. It's pretty much every day that I see a very near miss involving a pedestrian and some kind of wheeled transport.

None of that justifies careering around frightening people, blazing through red lights, leaving the scene of an accident. I just wanted to point out that as a cyclist I view pedestrians with extreme suspicion and try to always be on the watch for what they might do next. It's a reason not to whistle past them at close quarters!

Also a cyclist that leaves the scene of an accident is committing the same offence as a driver who does so. There is no excuse for any cyclist jumping red lights, hitting anyone and then cycling off, as I think every one would agree.

On the London roads though, cyclists do have to be assertive and ride defensively.

Not just on roads, we should cycle defensively pretty much everywhere. Since Dulwich Park was quiet tonight, I did a few laps of it just for the fun of it. On one of the laps, I spotted a guy walking along the edge of the road with a dog lead in his hand but no dog in sight... so I slowed down just in case his dog suddenly came bounding along.

On my commute, I know the roads where pedestrians are likely to behave unpredictably (near stations primarily) just as I know the junctions where drivers are more likely to go through on amber and you tailor your riding accordingly.

Cowbells? Hmm.... perhaps we should convert D-locks into bells - would have the advantage not only of alerting others but acting as a useful theft deterrent when locked up.

Just something that I have to put up with; I usually use the Greendale Cycle path when out riding it and always gets me that people walk on the cycle path instead of the footpath and then when I announce that I'm coming up behind them I get moaned at even though they are walking on the cycle route.

Pearson- you wear Rapha??? I could only dream of affording Rapha. I'm afraid its Decathlon cycle clothing for the likes of me!