Ignorant Cyclists in the Park

Does anybody else have a problem with the cyclists in Peckham Rye Park? Whilst walking my dog most mornings, a cyclist will speed past me in the quiet, narrow Woodland Walk area, startling me uncomfortably. They do not apologise, greet 'good morning' or acknowledge me in any other way. I think they are ignorant and completely oblivious to any other person (adults and children) in the local park. Whatever happened to the bicycle bells when you knew the cyclists were passing? I say bring the bicycle bells back.

Hello Sarnge

I'm a cyclist (not usually in Peckham Rye) and I find the bicyle bell thing a bit of a conundrum. I worry if it seems like I'm trying to get people to get out of my way rather than just alert pedestrians to my presence. I tend to try to ring it gently (!) slow down and call out "Excuse me and thank you" like a mad, old lady from the 1950's

sarnge Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anybody else have a problem with the cyclists

> in Peckham Rye Park? Whilst walking my dog most

> mornings, a cyclist will speed past me in the

> quiet, narrow Woodland Walk area, startling me

> uncomfortably. They do not apologise, greet 'good

> morning' or acknowledge me in any other way. I

> think they are ignorant and completely oblivious

> to any other person (adults and children) in the

> local park. Whatever happened to the bicycle bells

> when you knew the cyclists were passing? I say

> bring the bicycle bells back.

So the problem was that you didn't hear a cyclist approaching you?

And so you expect them to make loud noise to ensure you hear them..

And this one cyclist is an ambassador and voice for EVERY OTHER CYCLIST IN THE WORLD yes?

Jeezuz, is this a joke??!!

Why don't you just have a word with 'that' cyclist and tell them what you think of them rather than tarnishing us all with the same brush.

Thank you kindly.

it is not just one cyclist this happens to me all the time you cannot even compare it to a dog most dogs are under control with responsible owners in my experience you are all the same no consideration for anyone else what was a bicycle bell invented for

Well your dog pisses me off shitting all over the park.

Yup, your dog is like all the other dogs in the world and

i bet you don't pick up the poo like all the other dog

owners in the world..

.................pointless discussion eh/

Why are so many cyclists so freaking defensive ? Is it beyond your powers of empathy to grasp that someone on foot just MIGHT feel vulnerabje if buzzed by someone on a bike. Jeez. I always try to give people as wide a berth as possible in similar circumstances. Fair play to Bawdy for at being alive to the sensibilities of others. Sarange, as a casual cyclist I apologise for the hateful Lycra louts.

I share bawdy-nan's conundrum over whether a bell is ruder than a comment or just giving the pedestrian enough room. Would a shout or bell may potentially more alarming than the gentle whirr of the bike... and if the pedestrian has headphones, then how do you alert them? Surely just taking some care and ensuring you're giving them sufficient room should be enough.

However, I must chuckle at the assertion that most dogs are under control; I can't count how many times I've had to ride defensively in Dulwich Park as a dog runs across the road. And don't get me started on kids in those damned recumbent things which never seem to go in a straight line.

Freaking defensive?!?! well the OP making sweeping assumptions that all cyclists are the same.

So that means you too my 'lycra' clad friend.

I have full empathy for the OP's situation and fully understand there are 'louts' on two wheels.

I'm just bored of the recent cyclist bashing threads in this here forum.

There are as i've said before bad peds and bad drivers too...

(I'll have you know i wear Rapha by the way!)

northlondoner Wrote:

> Why are so many cyclists so freaking defensive ?

Because it feels a bit like all cyclists are under attack from all comers. Drivers moan, pedestrians moan, the blind are trying to ban cyclists in a town centre. And there's little acknowledgement that the majority of regular cyclists are law-abiding, normal human beings and don't deserve the vitriol being sent their way. Or that no matter what bans/rules you put in place, the people who ignore the current ones are the ones who will ignore any new ones too - so the only ones who end up hurt (and if they will literally be hurt if the public's antipathy towards bad cyclists stops investment in infrastructure) are the good ones... so that's possibly why we can feel a little defensive at times because *we* have done nothing wrong but are expected to take the blame for others.

Would it appease the OP to know that i am as angry with 'some' cyclist bad manners, as i am as a driver with 'some' motorists, as i am also with 'some' pedestrians when i am a pedestrian.

But not all cyclist, motorist and pedestrians.... that would just be immature and silly!

Applespider Wrote:

> northlondoner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Why are so many cyclists so freaking defensive

> ?

>

> Because it feels a bit like all cyclists are under

> attack from all comers. Drivers moan, pedestrians

> moan, the blind are trying to ban cyclists in a

> town centre. And there's little acknowledgement

> that the majority of regular cyclists are

> law-abiding, normal human beings and don't deserve

> the vitriol being sent their way. Or that no

> matter what bans/rules you put in place, the

> people who ignore the current ones are the ones

> who will ignore any new ones too - so the only

> ones who end up hurt (and if they will literally

> be hurt if the public's antipathy towards bad

> cyclists stops investment in infrastructure) are

> the good ones... so that's possibly why we can

> feel a little defensive at times because *we* have

> done nothing wrong but are expected to take the

> blame for others.

+1

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> Hello Sarnge

>

> I'm a cyclist (not usually in Peckham Rye) and I

> find the bicyle bell thing a bit of a conundrum. I

> worry if it seems like I'm trying to get people to

> get out of my way rather than just alert

> pedestrians to my presence. I tend to try to ring

> it gently (!) slow down and call out "Excuse me

> and thank you" like a mad, old lady from the

> 1950's

i too would be interested to know what Sarnges view are on this.

Ringing a bell on a shared public foot/cycle path would be considered rude

by some folks standards (in a 'get out of my way' kind of way)

yet the OP deems it rude if we don't ring our bells.

I would be most grateful for some clarification Sarnge.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> I'm with Pearson. The vitriol aimed at cyclists on

> this forum has been shocking at times.

Some numbers.

In 2008, there were 236 pedestrian casualties in pedal cycle incidents*

In 2008, there were 4,699 dog bite casualties**

According to Battersea Dogs Home there are 8.3m dogs in the UK***

According to Chris Boardman there are 20m bicycles****

That makes a dog around 30 times more dangerous than a bicycle.

It's not vitriol, it's guilt.

* DFT (pdf)

** NHS

*** Battersea Dogs Home

**** Guardian

What relevance are dogs to a post about whether or not cyclists are rude? Just because the OP mentioned she/he has a dog doesn't make it relevant to the thread.... And the 'cyclists' outraged by the OP are no better dragging dogs and their owners into it! They are doing exactly the same as they are complaining of theirselves!!

Why can't people unable to live and let live not choose to live in such a built up City!

There are some cyclists that think they own the road, what ticks me off is as a pedestrian they jump the red lights which can cause accidents. I had full blown argument with a cyclist last year when he jump a red light and almost knock me over luckily enough there was a policeman?s that saw everything dealt with him good style there needs to be consideration on both sides a cyclist is a pedestrian when he comes of his/hers bicycle.