Denmark Hill to London Bridge Closure

Alan Dale

And while they are about it that could reinstate the London Bridge overnight Royal Mail trains.

Very useful as they usually had a couple of passenger coaches that could be used for early hours untimetabled stops.

Seems that some have not been using London Bridge for very long. The Puzzle to me is why the service is worse than the LBSCR provided in the 1880s.

I'm 99% sure that online petitions are a waste of time.

Therefore the fact that I "signed" it demonstrates how strongly I feel about this... the public transport sucks already in this corner of London, I can't believe anyone is even considering a reduction in services.

I cannot believe TfL is even considering _reducing_ public transport anywhere in London, let alone in the SE "urban" area. Peckham might only be 3 miles from London Bridge but the bus can easily take 45 minutes in the morning. For reference, Tonbridge to London Bridge currently takes 36 minutes in the morning.

I've spent some time in the past trying to work with civil servants and am seriously worried by the tone of the transport document in question: this looks like a done deal.

(p145) "This option would remove direct services from Clapham High Street, Wandsworth Road and Denmark Hill to London Bridge. There would be a slight reduction in services to London Bridge at Peckham Rye. Crowding from these stations would therefore be expected to increase if the option were implemented in isolation.

The option would add services from stations between Nunhead and Bellingham (or potentially beyond) to Victoria. This would lead to reduced crowding from these stations and provision of new journey opportunities to Victoria."

A fine example of even-handed analysis ...

SIGNED.

Admittedly I am now on the west side of Dulwich - I grew up using the line when I was in Bermondsey and then Peckham as I've worked at both ends of the line. A No3 bus took me 1hr to get to Lambeth North from West Dulwich this morning. The amount of traffic in south London is @*&%^$%. I know it is similarly useless from Denmark Hill to central London, 45 minutes minimum. Trains are a lifeline to many.

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

It's National Rail, not TfL, who are making this proposal. Ken isn't in charge of suburban London railways (yet!) Though TfL will be a statutory consultee on it, along with local authorities etc, so do write in to your councillor as well.

Although this may be proposing to replace the LB - Victoria service, I don't think it would affect the South Eastern trains which only stop at Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill before London Victoria, so a direct link may not be lost, though that's only half hourly at the moment.

On the ELL Phase 2, which could be assocaited with replacing the LB - Victoria service, don't necessarily believe yesterday's Evening Standard. I understand that Ken said that schemes up till 2010 are all funded (e.g ELL Phase 1) but beyond 2010, who knows. As with all other transport schemes, they've got many more hurdles to jump and no guaranteed funding just yet.

ELL Phase 2 would provide a direct link from Peckham and DH to Clapham Junction, so you might get potential journey time savings and more orbital rail journeys that way.

Alan Dale will hate me again but a few more points.

Peckham is in line for a Tram (if Eileen doesn't block it) and a tube. ED has promise of more and better too. Also, I note references here and on the petition about 'buses from ED take 45 mintues to London Bridge at rush hour'.

I'd say 'welcome to Camberwell'. It's actually closer to central London (London Bridge) than East Dulwich (hell it's zone two almost zone one NOT almost zone 3 like ED) and from many points, there are very limited bus routes that can take 45 minutes to London Bridge at rush hour.

So what we're saying here is Peckham and East Dulwich deserve better transport and quicker access to London than Camberwell. Not saying it is wrong, just offering clarity for debate.

Eileen can be very irritating/narrow minded but I'm with her on the tram thing. Where they propose to put the terminus would wipe out an integral part of Peckham including artisans studios, historic buildings and several churches, which might be a good thing in some folk's books, but I think would be an absolute shame. We've already destroyed all the art deco buildings in Peckham - let's leave something for the future.

All of these are jam tomorrow. We now have cross-rail and the Olympics to pay for before ELLE phase 2 is due - so you can forget that then. The tram had a very glossy consultation exercise, but I cant see it happening before 2012 and I fear that an awful lot of future investment will get quietly dropped to pay for the redevelopment of Stratford and all points noth of the Thames in the name of something which will have sod-all benefit to us.

The only hope is that Harriet Harpie is a Brownie and she might be able to get something for Peckham and so to the benefit of ED.

Tessa of North London isnt going to put her constituency before the Olympics as that is the only power-base that she has left.

I don't disagree but many of her (Eileen's) arguments (I say her because they all come from her not some large collective voice) are based on her filling in blanks with what she fears, not working with authorities to make it special.

To say a depot will ruin Peckham Town Centre is just foolish. It's like saying Liverpool Street Station is so awful because it just ruins the City. No, it enhances it. If it were not built yet, I could scare the community into believing all that steel and track and trains would ruin things. As it happens, it's a landmark.

It also just amuses me (I don't care much about the Tram to be fair) that Peckham Vision spends so much time demanding what they want but refuse to support this major initiative. Amusing.

I don't laugh. Just ask that you weigh the benefits of making it easier for people to come to Peckham and for local residents to get into Central London and beyond easier (and more environmentally friendly) against trying to create a depot you can live with.