Nunhead Station gets shortlisted

Apparently it's going to get a big metal sign saying 'Nunhead' as a gift from the council. Maybe it needs something more substantial than a than a cosmetic crumb.

"Peckham Rye and Nunhead have been named in a shortlist of four of the London's 'weakest link' train stations."

"Passengers at Nunhead berated the absence of adequate signage or maps and lack of local information such as nearby taxi numbers. They claim visitors have no idea how to reach the cemetery from the station.

Howard Francis, a local resident, said: "There should be a sign with directions that tells passengers to alight here for Nunhead Cemetery as it is such a famous landmark."

Transport 2000, an independent pressure group, plans to send the findings to local authorities, the association of train operators and passenger groups to encourage them to make improvements.

Tara Melton, campaigns assistant for Transport 2000, said: "We are not saying these are the worst stations in London but they were highlighted by respondents in our survey as troublesome.

"Nunhead Cemetery is a local landmark but people know it is not being promoted very well. When you leave the station you have no idea about this attraction and it should be highlighted."

Southwark News 2007 oct

It's an Annoying London Thing in general.

Driving down through London from north to south, Mrs *Bob* must have asked me fifty times "where are we now?". Naturally I attempted to sound cocksure and London-savvy (whilst straining my eyes looking for a the next tube station).

It wouldn't cost a fortune to get some signs up.

Though I suppose with the current fad and obsession with 'rebranding' sub-postalcode-sized areas ("Denmark Hill?! Bellenden Village?! Get a grip!) the signs could be up and down like a whore's drawers.

Peckham Rye, unlike ED, at least has a building.

"Passengers at Nunhead berated the absence of adequate signage or maps and lack of local information such as nearby taxi numbers. They claim visitors have no idea how to reach the cemetery from the station.

Peckham Rye differs from Nunhead in that getting from the PR station to the cemetery is usually too easy and quite involuntary. ::o

Ohhhhhh it gets sillier.

There's now officially a place called West Peckham apparently. I think that's around Bellenden Road. Eileen Conn told me about it and I just laughed till I realised she was being serious.

To be fair signage is up telling you when you are entering one of the 8 community council areas but they're daft. Nunhead and Peckham Rye starts on Old Kent Road and that's just confusing.

Anyway,

*Bob* Wrote:

> Though I suppose with the current fad and

> obsession with 'rebranding' sub-postalcode-sized

> areas ("Denmark Hill?! Bellenden Village?! Get a

> grip!) the signs could be up and down like a

> whore's drawers.