Speed limits on side roads

I have recently slowed a couple of speeding cars on Fellbrigg Road by waving at them and asking the drivers if they were aware of the 20 miles per hour speed restrictions - (on both occassions I was told to F off!)and last night I drove at 18 miles an hour and had someone driving so close to me they couldn't see my brakes lights and almost drove into me when I parked and the other driver was beeping like crazy - clearly I was inconveiencing him!. I regularly hear cars and vans driving down the road very fast - much faster than they would/should/can on Lordship lane. I have noticed the '20' road signs at the Whately Road end of Fellbrigg Road are partly obscured by street lamps and are very close to the junction. Is there anything we can do about these inconsiderate drivers and also improve awareness of the speed restrictions? I think this is over to JB. Hennypenny.

It is interesting to drive at or slightly below the legal speed limit on local roads in ED to see the fury of those who wish to travel faster - perhaps we should make it an intentional act to drive legally around the place to set and enforce the limits that others wish to flout.

Maybe white van men (not that these are the only speedsters) would stop usng our roads as cut-throughs and access them only when they need to get to properties in them.

The last speed data I was sent showed vast majority stick to speed limit but frankly I only notice the selfish idiots going faster.

I take a look at the weekend but if you think any signage has been damaged or badly placed tell me the specific details and I'll try and get fixed asap.

From the highway Code:

20mph Speed Limit

The 20mph speed limit is

predominately used in urban areas.

Commonly you will see them in town

centres, high streets, residential roads

and in the vicinity of schools.The aim

of this limit is to reduce vehicle

speeds that allows for the presence of

vulnerable road users; cyclists,

children and the elderly. More often

than not a 20mph speed limit will

come in the form of a ?zone?.A zone

will contain traffic calming features,

usually road humps that force drivers

to reduce their speed to around

20mph. Research on the effectiveness

of these zones has shown that

casualties can fall by up to 70%

where they have been introduced.

I was nearly run over by a lady in a merc speeding down heber road. She stopped with a screech outside the primary school and ran in. Clearly late picking up a child. Totally thoughtless. Speedbumps just seem to be considered sport for the White van drivers who sail over them at speed (perhaps they've misinterpreted the name). Unfortunately bumps seem to have replaced actual enforcement.

KeyboardWarrior Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why does Fellbrigg Road have a lower speed limit

> than the other surrounding roads where you can do

> 30 ??

Don't most side streets in and around SE22 have a 20mph limit?

Hi SCSB79,

Yes, most roads in East Duwlich excepting the area bounded by Lordship Lane, Melbourne Grove and East Dulwich GRove and the area bounded by Lordship Lane, Watelely Road and Barry Road.

Both these areas are about to become 20mph zones or speed limites after requested from residents to local councillors and using our devolvled Cleaner, Greener, Safer budgets from this financial year.

On Lordship Lane the speed limit is routinely broken by lorries/cars/coaches thundering up and down the hill. There are no traffic calming measures whatsoever in the section between Dulwich Library and Townley Road, and this is precisely the point at which vehicles pick up speed. Clearly speed bumps are not feasible, but a few 'Watch your Speed' signs wouldn't go amiss........

There are a number of points on Barry Road, Lordship Lane and even Whateley Road, Upland Road, Underhill Road and East Dulwich Grove where zebra crossings or traffic lights could be used to slow down traffic instead of speed bumps and would be of more use to pedestrians

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd like to know what's happening with the extra crossing on Lordship Lane. You take your life in your hands trying to cross outside the Coop or negotiating the traffic turning into or out of (rat-running?) Matham and Ashbourne Groves.

Hi civilservant,

The extra crossing outside COop/Somerfield is meant to have happened this financial year!

We will eventually get it.

We'll also get one on Lordship Lane at the junction of East Dulwich Grove. My brai nwave appears to have cracked this junction conundrum of traffic lights causing more harm than good and doing nothing not good enough.

I'll chase officers for the latest time lines.

Hi Kraken,

Those speed signs tend to reduce average speed by 1-2mph. Helpful but not a panacea.

Hi rahrahrah,

Speed sinusoidal humps on Matham, Ashbourne and Chesterfield. Remainder speed signs.

"create entertainment for speeding mopeds."

...............and danger for cyclists - I cannot count the times I've had a driver of a van or car head straight for me when I'm on the correct side of the road and driver of that lethal weapon is straddling the central speed bump.

Yes, those square speed humps make many drivers focus on 'them' rather than what's going on around them in the road, and most cars if they position correctly can go over them at more than 20 mphr. On top of that they cost more to maintain than sleeping policemen that go right accross the road. I hate them personally.

No I wasn't surprised at the language at all, but given that one of the drivers was a woman with 3 small children in the back I might have expected a more courteous response, but then she was driving a very large black 4 wheel drive. Since starting this post I have been listening out even more to the speeding traffic (good excuse for a lie in!) and the 'busiest' times are 7.30 too about 8.15 although it happens all day. Perhaps we could persuade a traffic policeman with a speed camera to come a few times and zap them - that might stop it.... HP