Vacuum cleaner hate

Stuck at home with baby and daughter for two days (both coughing and one MILKING it) and going slightly stir crazy. Decided to clean the house to placate daughter who was bored out of her mind and itching to clean the stairs (!) and lets just say using the Dyson with a baby in the sling was not super effective.

I hate this Dyson - it's a good machine but completely unsuitable to our house which is 90% bare varnished floorboards. Lets not even mention lugging it up and down the stairs.

Can someone recommend a good vacuum cleaner that can cope with floorboards, some carpets, cat hair, toddler mess (and soon baby weaning mess) and is not super heavy but powerful? I may as well go crazy on Amazon while stuck indoors...

I have an Animal Dyson which is and has been fab. I have one carpeted room the rest are floor boards. It has a special adaptor for animal hair which was the main reason I bought it (2 cats) but I really would not change it for anything... unless I bought a Henry - fantastic with both carpets and non-carpets. (my sister used to own a Henry and I stayed with her for a month when she had a baby and the hoover was brilliant with 2 dogs and a cat)

I had a look on the Which website to find their recommended best hoover (especially for floorboards) they recommended the Bosch BSGL5126GB Pro Energy Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner for ?130 from John Lewis. Had it for 2 years and it is very,very good. Scored higher marks than a Henry.

Edited to say also have a cat, toddler and DIY crazy partner - it copes with all their mess too. Sometimes even use it to clean up ash in the real fireplace but that's not recommended by the manufacturers.

We have a miele, in fact we have two and love them. They have one specially for animal hair but ours isn't and works on slate, wood floors, carpets and rugs according to the setting. We went through two dysons in the past and kept breaking them (probably didn't help that we had a builder hoovering up nails with them).