McMillan Support knocking on door last night?

Did anyone else have anyone from McMillan Cancer Suppor knocking on their door last night? I thought I'd ask on here as seemed a bit odd to me. Someone called Karen knocked around 8.30pm. I didn't open the door.

Yes, a woman saying she was from MacMillan Cancer Support came to my door last night.

She seemed genuine to me, however I object to the hard sell approach of charities either approaching me in the street or coming to my house. I prefer to decide in my own time who I give my money to.

She said she wasn't asking for money, so I told her I wasn't filling in a direct debit form either, and she went away .....

I do not believe that charities should knock on doors after dark.

Firstly it is impertinent. I do not wish to be interrupted in this way in the daytime, let alone in the evening. And like most people I am perfectly capable of deciding which charities to support, which indeed I do, without such visits.

Secondly, when there is - always - a certain amount of deception burglary going on, it does not seem to me to be a good idea for charities to go on the knocker after dark (although I know they do have ID and show the charity's name on their garments). Many older people - and I am one - do not appreciate having to experience this and should not have to do so.

I realise that charities do make a lot of money by this means - a recent caller from RSPB told be that they make more this way than the chuggers do. But this does not I believe excuse the practice.

I do not believe that cancer should knock on the door after dark. It is quite rude, I do not want to interrupted in my busy, exciting life by illness of any sort. Many older people - and I am one - do not appreciate having to experience cancer and should not have to do so. Let there be an end to it.

The rules about field market reaearch say that you shouldn't call after 9.00 in the evening - clearly that's about dusk in the summer but way after dark in the winter.

If you do set a 'not after dark' limit then house-calling for charities in the winter would be pointless - as very many targets wouldn't be home before dark at the best of times. Which would rule out a lot of time when money could otherwise be being collected.

Day-time calling is OK but won't pick up the employed, who are probably best placed to make donations.

I got a call from MacMillan today. The young woman seemed genuinely nice and was very persuasive. I almost signed up but I too don't like this hard sell approach and prefer to select charities myself. However, I did spend the rest of the afternoon feeling guilty for not donating!

The very personable and I am quite sure genuine woman from MacMillan knocked for me tonight. Unfortunately, I am not terribly impressed with them as a charity at the moment (personal circumstances) and, whilst I wasn't rude, just said that MacMillan weren't high on my list of priorities for donations. She didn't push it and was polite and went away. Not much of a job, I can't imagine.

had a very nice young lady at the door tonight. Let's face it, if you have to raise money (for a very good cause) sometimes you just have to go for the jugular. (remember Sir bobs 'just give us the ****** money!) I don't envy those door knockers and good on them. I did a door to door for the poppy appeal one year and it was just horrendous and humiliating!!

I dont think its a good idea of an evening,after eight,wasting shoe leather I think as not many people will

open their doors,

The police have put leaflets in doors telling us not to open the door unless they have made an appoint ment.

Maybe charities should unite and have one shop in each area, then split the profits between them equally, then everyone gets an equal amount, with shared costs.