A man dressed as a cyclist (asking for money)

Someone like this asked me for money in Nunhead a couple of months ago - he was on the other side of Nunhead Lane from me, near the crossroads with Linden Grove, pushing a bike. I noticed that he let some people walk past him on his side of the road, but called over to me, presumably because I was on my own. I advised him to go to the chemist 30 meters (?) further on, as they could help him better. He then swore at me and kept walking, as did I. I had heard about the scam, and his reaction to me suggests it was a scam.

I remember a man around E&C who would say he was a doctor, needing to get to the hospital to performs surgery, but he has had his wallet stolen and so needed money for a taxi. Saw him so often, and he really made an effort with his clothes etc, but was clearly a bit dirty. We saw him buying a load of beer in the offy and stopped to ask him if he had made it to the hospital on time. Even at the time making fun of him seemed a bit off, when he said we must be mixed up (as he was a vet) we just agreed. Sad life.

Emma Bailey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I saw this "cyclist" guy complete with bike asking

> for money outside Forest Hill station the other

> day. Judging by all the comments above, it sounds

> like he's earning quite well from his scam.

Maybe inland revenue should get on to him.

I ride a bike but need some money for some decent clothing. Can you all pm me your card details, including pin and password. You can sleep happily in your bed knowing that I will be able to get some Dulwich Paragon CC kit so I no longer look like a tramp

• 2 months later...
Thought I'd post as he's still active: junction of Bellenden Road and Peckham High Street a few weeks ago, and Rye Lane latish Wednesday evening. I felt guilty refusing the first time (I was in the car at traffic lights) so gave ?1 the second. Next time (as I'm sure there will be) I'll just give him my packet of wet wipes!

well, it's common knowledge and people do like to appease their guilt by giving money to anyone who asks for some.

I offered my lunch to a homeless chap in Victoria, he said he'd only take it if it didn't have any greens or salad. We had a really good chat, he made me laugh.

I have seen a lady on a number of occasions "crying" and distressed but ultimately asking for money but would not articulate what was wrong. I foolishly did the first time, but please be warned.

• 4 weeks later...

He was at Denmark Hill station last night and this morning just before the junction with grove lane, where the path narrows and there is a sculpture. His bike was upended, and he sat there with identical knee wounds on both occasions.

Description was mid 40 something, grey beard, foreign (guessing central/eastern european)accent. Got very verbally aggressive when I challenged him this morning loudly saying he'd been there last night and that he is a con artist. But, within 5 minutes of being challenged he'd packed up and moved off.

If I see him again I'll get a picture and report it to police - without doubt a con trick.

Self- mutilating in beggars to gain sympathy has a very long history - indeed it is almost a tradition of that profession. As long as you're not tempted to fall for it it's nice to see the old ways being kept up. Maybe he could get an Arts Council grant?

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Self- mutilating in beggars to gain sympathy has a

> very long history - indeed it is almost a

> tradition of that profession. As long as you're

> not tempted to fall for it it's nice to see the

> old ways being kept up. Maybe he could get an Arts

> Council grant?

He could use it to do a Bikeability course at the Velodrome and might have fewer accidents and scrapy knees. Or collaborate with Franko B..

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen people begging with open wounds in London Bridge too. Things have clearly moved on a lot ? I remember about 6 years ago in Brockley a well-spoken man, dressed nicely, asked me for money to get back to Tunbridge Wells as he said he'd lost his phone the night before. Originally asked for ?2 and as I opened my purse, complained he didn't know how long it would take to get all the money for the ticket home. I stupidly gave him ?10. I was sleep-deprived and carrying a 1 year old so that's my excuse. Saw him 10 minutes later going into a flat nearby ? seemed to remember where his friends lived suddenly!

• 2 months later...