Wanted: recommendations for toys for 6 month old

Miss JB is approaching 6 months and is getting more and more interested in toys. I think she's bored with her 'baby' toys and would appreciate any recommendations for things that she'll enjoy playing with over the next few months. For example I've been really surprised about how much she's enjoying her stacking cups - can spend hours -well minutes swatting them off the table and passing them between hands. The smaller and the cheaper the better.

My daughter loved a pint-sized milk jug, rinsed and filled with dried peas. Different sized peas/beans make different noises. Bigger beans = more noise. The little handle on the milk jug is just the right size for babies.

You can try different types of bottles too. I had a clear plastic soap bottle filled with red and white beans that was a big hit with Little Saff at that age.

xx

My daughter loved her jumparoo and the Vtech baby walker at 6 months. Didn't use the walker to walk with obviously but loved all the buttons and sounds. She also had a bouncer that went in the doorway that was popular.

Simple sensory toys were all good too, and generally inexpensive.

Definitely agree that the simple everyday things are what catches their attention (although I also loved the Jumperoo!)

At 6 months they begin to be able to sit up or hold head up really well when lying down so the whol world opens up to them. A wonderful thing to create is a treasure basket filled with natural and everyday items that can be mouthed, bashed and explored using all of the senses. I have a little collection of treasure basket ideas and other baby play ideas that have been tried and tested with my two on my blog.

You can see them here if you like- it's a direct link to the baby play list.

Baby PLay Ideas at The Imagination Tree

Hope some of those help- most are from recycled/ every day materials so cheap and easy to create!

My daughter LOVED those plastic stacking rings you can get at the ELC. They lasted for a good year. As she got older she wore them as bracelets. I would always buy them now as presents for 6 month olds!

susypx

Can I just say darlin' that i tried one of the 'small world' (is that the right name?) ideas from your blog with my 3 year old, and she played with it ALL DAY (apart from errands out and mealtimes) for 3 whole days...now when we're out on walks she's always looking out for small twigs/stones to put in her 'island' as she calls it - thank you!- with a new baby around ideas like that are a life-saver!

Your baby's best toy is you and the more you play with her the more she will learn.

For your treasure basket you could add wooden pegs, rolled up socks, shiny paper, brushes, combs, wooden spoons, etc.