Galliano -when sorry is not enough

How was someone who makes vile comments like he did set up for goodness sake? Did someone force him to say he liked Hitler, or to make the comment about jews that he did? Wake up Silverfox and have a really good think about the comments/ behaviour you are defending. Most people would be equally disgusted by them and wonder just what else goes on in the mind of a person capable of making them.

With regards to his job and status...he is a celebrity fashion desginer....with fame and celebrity comes some responsibility to not act like a dufus. He knows that as much as anyone.

I cannot for the life of me understand why silverfox is attempting to excuse this as a 'set-up'??

You can't 'set' somebody up to make these offensive remarks. You could deliberately put a video camera in the room, but people behaving like this should be jailed whether there's a camera there or not.

I can only assume that silverfox thinks the proposed 'set-up' is a big issue because he thinks the comments Galliano made are not an issue.

silverfox's views on Galliano's desirable creativity quite miss the mark. People buy Dior partly because they look good, but in majority because of the 'values' of the brand. Scumbag comments fo so much damage to the brand that they enormously outweigh any positive contribution made by 'creative' flair.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I cannot for the life of me understand why

> silverfox is attempting to excuse this as a

> 'set-up'??

I honestly believe that some people think it's acceptable to have racist or other bigoted views so long as they don't air them publicly: "Well, if I'd known I was being videotaped, I wouldn't have said it obviously!" To me it's along the same line of thought that leads people to think it's ok for BNP members to be teachers so long as they don't teach the drivel to the kids. The man should have been fired, no question.

eek.

I'm going to have to disagree on the latter point b_s.

It's one thing for a commercial brand to sack someone for tarnisihing that brand through gross misconduct.

It's quite another thing to sack a civil servant for political affiliations in a country where freedom of association is one of our paramount rights. Anything else is a road down which fundamental freedoms will be eroded by the thought police, no matter how good the intentions.

That was what was wrong with labour, they curtailed freedoms, not because they were evil, but because their attempts to be good were misguided.

If a teacher is a member of a proscribed organisation then fair enough, but however distasteful many of us may find the BNP, anyone has the freedom to belong, and rightly so.

Obviously if they peddled their nonsense or treated black pupils unfairly compared to the white ones, then that must be a case for discipline or dismissal, but simply to belong to a party...shaky ground if you ask me.

mockney piers Wrote:

> However distasteful many of us may find the BNP, anyone has the freedom to belong, and rightly so.

Belong? Absolutely. Teach children? Police our streets? No thanks.

> Obviously if they ... treated black pupils unfairly compared to the white ones

If people's opinions didn't affect the way they behaved towards other people I'd agree with you, but they do. Discrimination was inherent in the BNP's membership policy until they were forced to change their (probably) unlawful constitution. Personally, I don't see it as a problem with any "political" association, but unfortunately the BNP were allowed to carry on being a "political" party after the constitution amend.

mockney piers Wrote:

> anyone has the freedom to belong, and rightly so.

Neither police officers nor prison officers are allowed to be BNP members - they don't have to start peddling their nonsense or treating black people differently, they're just banned. I think the same should apply to teachers. In fact I'm actually amazed that children aren't protected against the same discrimination that prisoners and criminals are.

Look, any mother will tell her child: sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

what is it with this universal victim complex people have these days?

I reiterate - I do not for a minute believe Galliano actually believes what he said

and all you thought police have yet to reveal who the (so called) offended parties were and what they said to Galliano to provoke such a reaction.

How do you know what Galliano believes. Do you know the Guy? No you don't.

It doesn't matter what someone said beforehand, there is never any excuse for using the references he did to insult someone. Next you'll be saying that use of words like 'nigger' and 'poof' are acceptable in certain circumstances. They are not. There are some things that are just too deeply offensive, it's nothing to do with victim complexes as you call it but a mark of what a civilised society deems as acceptable - Galliano crossed that line of the unacceptable.