> Mugging is pretty opportunist and your crims most

> likely going along that way because its their

> locality and seeing their victim rather than

> hiking from over here. Complacency about 'lovely

> ED' makes you more vulnerable. There are a couple

> of roads in ED coming up again and again in these

> mugging threads and its naive to think the muggers

> are not from round there!

It is because East dulwich likes to think it is the rest of dulwich. It is not. We do not have these problems in west dulwich or the village, well at least not on the scale east dulwich seems to anyway. East Dulwich in itself is kind of rough. It may blow its own trumpet but no one else is lording it as some gentrified haven of the middle classes. It seems a very mixed area with a few problems no one seems to be resolving anytime soon.

I think "stick to your own" has questionable tones? A 26 yr old woman got mugged and her mum has come online to tell us all not to wave phones about which cost the same as some people's monthly wage. Given the spate of muggings/burglery that are constantly being reported on this very forum (and the odd murder) then I think it is fair to say that east dulwich is a bit rough and people being shocked by this is a bit old and silly.

zeban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Elderflower this is the ED forum, stick to your

> own ;-)

elderflower Wrote:

--Given the spate of muggings/burglery that

> are constantly being reported on this very forum

> (and the odd murder) then I think it is fair to

> say that east dulwich is a bit rough and people

> being shocked by this is a bit old and silly.

>

xxxxxxx

"A bit rough"? Oh for goodness sake, this is London.

Muggings, burglaries and murders happen everywhere.

It's just that not every area has a forum where they are constantly being brought to residents' attention.

"A bit rough". East Dulwich? No. Certain parts of Peckham, Brixton, Tottenham and Harlesden, for example, are 'a bit rough'.

East Dulwich is generally pretty tame. As many have pointed out this is London, and repulsive people who think it's ok to rob others exist here as well as the rest of the city. Sometimes no amount of sensible precaution protects you from determined criminals. I regularly come home late through Peckham and even now watch myself because I've had some close calls with guys who's intentions were to get money off me.

Just because it costs more money to live in Dulwich than some other areas of London doesn't make it any less susceptible to crime and I'm pretty sure the residents of an uber-expensive area like Knightsbridge or South Kensington would tell you that there's a fair chunk of crime round there too. Would you describe either of those areas as 'rough'?

The sad fact is it doesn't matter on your postal code or how much your bricks and mortar cost...someone somewhere will still rob you for whats inside. Nowhere is impervious to crime - I do think its wrong to point the finger though, as this only makes matters worse.

Jeanne, I am really sorry to hear this news and I feel for your daughter,

My little brother, his friend and myself were mugged, by what seems to be the same gang of thugs the night after your daughter was mugged. It happened roughly around mid night after I left the Clock house. I bumped into my brother and his friend after having to return to the pub to pick up my ruck sack I'd forgotten, minutes later we were approached by 2 boys (looking around 15 to 17 years of age) demanding us to hand over any money, phones or valuables with the threat of stabbing us. I'm not sure about anyone who is reading this; if someone threatens me with a knife I'm not going to do anything stupid that'd risk the safety of myself, my brother and his friend. They were coming out with all kinds of threats and one of the boys took hold of my brother and wouldn't let him go. A very quick few moments later we saw two much bigger and older lads (looking around their 20's) on bicycles racing towards us. Instinctively I pushed the boy who was holding my brother and reached for my brother and his friend and we ran for the nearest house ringing on the door bells for what could've turned out to be a life or death situation. Fortunately we were in luck and explained our situation to a woman through the intercom by which point the thugs realised that it would be stupid to continue to pursue their foolish actions and they scarpered. A bottle of win, or two, is definitely deserved to the woman who saved our skins which I shall be delivering in the very near future.

Sorry for the long detailed description of this event; I think Jaybee82 is right about no matter what area one lives in nowhere is impervious to crime. Pointing the finger at different areas because of their class, culture, costs of bricks or mortar will only result in more crime and worse. Its infrastructure that shapes societies and everyone as a collective is equally responsible it. And by communication and conveying ones concerns and opinion to the rest of our society is probably the best way to strengthen any community.

Strawberryfields Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is ridiculous, a young lady as been mugged

> amd her mother would like to warn others to take

> care and in response is a barrage of nonsense

> about who's area is more rough??

>

> Insensitive or what!

That's certainly not the point I was trying to make.

Thanks.