Burglary Friday Afternoon (18th Feb)

TJ

Would anyone who was on Hillcourt Rd between 3.30 and 5pm on Friday pls PM me if they saw anyone acting suspiciously.

There are reports of 2 men working or at least pretending to work on a fence halfway along the street. I would like to find out who they were.

Also, anyone who was seen wandering around with a 32" Panasonic TV or loading one into a vehicle would be of interest.

TJ

Just so people are aware some one tried to break into my house yesterday. Still just light, really strange time of day. Luckily I was in so scared them off. It was on Landells Road. Police were brilliant but I had nothing really to tell them as I had not really seen the person. Just remember to bolt lock your doors as well as the yale. I am sure everyone does but just to remind us all to do it is no bad thing.

I am really sorry TJ i have no information for you but I am sure someone must.

We need more CCTV on the residential roads not just on the high streets!! Sorry to hear about your burglary TJ. I was burgled last year and my neighbour reported to the police that they remember seeing two workmen dressed in overalls; however my neighbour assumed these men had jobs on my road. There seem to be a lot of daylight burglaries in Dulwich, I wonder if they are linked.

We already have more CCTV than any other country in the world (and a proposed bill will cut it and it's permitted uses). Most burglaries happn on homes that are not secure. How many times has it been pointed out that sash windows are easy to force unless you have the right locks in place (and use them) on this forum? The message is clear....put good locks on your windows and doors and USE THEM.

I would agree that using locks and security is no.1 priority. We didn't, we got screwed over. You can't stop a burglar, but you can slow them down.

To place basic ground floor window bars (non obtrusive and aesthetically ok) including installation from SDS clapham cost me ?180...

According to the insurance company, less than 3% of burglaries are in houses with alarms.

Draw your own conclusions.

TJ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>.. According to the insurance company, less than 3%

> of burglaries are in houses with alarms.

> Draw your own conclusions.

Is this a national statistic or local, do you know? I'd be interested to know how many houses actually have alarms, as that's obviously relevant when drawing a conclusion. And is it actually the alarm that deters them or all the other precautions that someone who pays for an alarm will probably take? If there are two identical houses with identical high end electrical goods on display through the window then the one without the alarm is more vulnerable but in some of the less busy streets in ED an alarm can go ignored for a long time during the day, especially when it's has been a regular accidental occurrence. My money's on multiple locks and keeping everything out of visible temptation.

• 3 weeks later...

Having seen the recent burglary post about Dunstans Rd and having spoken to the police detective on her follow up, it would appear there is a team at work who have a very simple but effective routine.

Afternoons from 3-5pm. The majority of people are at work or doing the school run. They go in via the front door and pick / force weak locks. They take portable, small high value goods (electrical, jewellery etc). Its quick, clean and discrete.

There are 3 really simple ways to protect yourselves & hopefully push them to a new area:

1. Always lock the front door with a chubb style 5 lever lock AND a regular yale.

2. Fit an alarm. At worst, fit an alarm casing to make it appear like you have an alarm.

3. Try to vary your routine as much as possible.

TJ