What is it with all the poo

Cat poo in my garden - why can't cat-owners have litter trays and take some responsibility?

Easy, cats would much rather go outside in a clean, smell free environment, in total privacy and usually in the dark of night, even if they have a litter tray at home. They don't particularly care for standing in a 1'x2' box in their own wastes, unless there is no other choice.

I have an indoor cat and she is only really happy using a self-cleaning litter tray. I'm told the ultrasonic cat deterrent devices work well. Completely agree with you about the dog mess though.

Totally agree with Curmudgeon. The dog mess is totally inexcusable - I frequently see dog eggs left within 10m of the dog mess bins, so it's certainly not that there's nowhere to dispose of it. And I object to having to clean up after other peoples' cats in my own garden. It's frankly antisocial to have a cat if your garden is so small it has to go into your neighbours' gardens.

And before everyone starts going on about deterrents - why should I have to spend ?50 on ultrasonic deterrents? Why can't the owners put deterrents round the perimeter of their gardens so the cats don't stray? It would have the added benefit of reducing the number of "Lost Cat" posters on every street...

yes it is frustrating about cat poo ( I am an owner of two) but rather amused by peckhamboy's assumption that you can contain your cat in the garden - mine jump high fences and roam over their 'territory' - despite have a very large garden. I am afraid that is the nature of cats. I, of course, are more bothered by dog poo left on pavements for unsuspecting people to tread in

On an associated note - am I the only person who can remember the days when dog poo would lie in the street under the summer sun so long that it became dry, white and dessicated? I remember this clearly from being a young child yet am starting to wonder if it is just an unreliable memory.

Two things: The council can come and spray yellow signs that say 'Bag it and bin it' if you ask them. Contact 7525 2000 and explain the problem and ask for some signs to be sprayed.

As for white poo, it was more to do with the stuff they put in the food in those days, rather than the lenght of time it spent on the pavement. Nero

"On an associated note - am I the only person who can remember the days when dog poo would lie in the street under the summer sun so long that it became dry, white and dessicated? I remember this clearly from being a young child yet am starting to wonder if it is just an unreliable memory"

The music of our past, much loved TV programmes, those films that are of blessed memory - all have been discussed on this Forum.

Nontheless, a wistful reverie on dog poo of yester-year is rather, novel.

Nero said "Two things: The council can come and spray yellow signs that say 'Bag it and bin it' if you ask them. Contact 7525 2000 and explain the problem and ask for some signs to be sprayed."

There are already both bins and yellow signs on all the streets round me, and people still refuse to pick up after their dogs. The problem is not the absence of signs, but the irresponsible and antisocial behaviour of a small number of dog owners.

I'm amazing at dodging poo. I haven't stepped in it for as long as I can remember. I'll probably step on some on the way home now.

I didn't realise cat poo was such a problem in these parts. The only problem I've had with cats in the last year was when this big cat came in through our back door and sat down in our lounge. We couldn't get it to leave for a day and a half. Not such a problem, really. I like cats.

Bird poo, though. That really gets me. I've phoned the council about cutting down the tree outside my house numerous times and they haven't done a single thing!

Fellbrigg Road used to be the worst worst road for poo when I was a kid... No idea why, but it seemed to attract it. In those days though it was common for dogs to walk themselves. Our dog used to wait in the pub for my dad to turn up, and get an ash tray full of beer :)-D

Anyway, owners who don't pick up after their pets should be fined if spotted, just as people dropping a fag butt can now be.

As for cats, it's a problem that can't really be avoided without shutting them all in the house (not really a bad thing in my opinion, but there you go). I don't like the attitude of some cat owners who think that dog owners not picking up after their dogs are scum (which they are), but that no one should complain about cats shitting in their gardens, even if someone might actually be rather fond of their garden, and not want it to be a public toilet!

Cat owners tend to think that cats should be able to do whatever they like! Of course they can, and will do what they like, but don't rub peoples noses in it!