Any Jewish families in Dulwich wanting to get together? (Lounged)

Malarkey

I'm an American Jew with a 1 and 3 year old looking to move to Dulwich area or maybe Clapham. I'm looking for a rental now. I'm very interested in shabbat activities for little kids and holiday celebrations (I'm not affiliated but was raised reform). Orthodox stuff wouldn't really work for me too well. Please keep me posted.

If you're going to indoctrinate your children into a mawkish pre-industrial bundle of prejudices and self-righteousness, it makes sense to start as young as possible.

If you can, start with fun and hand-clapping. Don't progress to the other stuff until you've made it clear that they're 'different'.

Huguenot

The European Convention on Human Rights upholds freedom of thought, conscience and religion and the manifestation of religion and belief.

It is ironic that you chose to post this, considering your name-Huguenots were persecuted throughout Europe for being different.

Another East Dulwich jew gal with non Jew hubby - and our 2 girls aged 3 and 8.

I will be joining Streatham Synagogue and signing my daughter up for religion school later this Summer - never too early for the lead up to her batchayil :-)

My brother and his family (also in E Dulwich) are already members and it's a nice synagogue - v inclusive of all and also has English speaking as well as Hebrew :-). I've been with him on Rosh Hashana before.

I'm surprised there's quite a few of us around here ;-)

No worries, Sandimous, always willing to welcome people to our country so they can establish a private gang to which no-one else is invited ;-) are you from a special race? We don't normally do racial discrimination in the UK unless it's the chosen one?

Peckhampam, I'm not sure to what rights you allude, would it be the same rights that allow me to take the piss out of people who only allow special people into their gang?

Not sure.

So excited! I've been in New York for the past 17 years, so it is hard to imagine living in a place without many Jews. I should be moving to London by early August. I want to find a synagogue that has activities for pre-schoolers. I'll try to check out some of the ones people suggested, once I figure out how to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and can actually go anywhere. Bromley Reform synagogue and South London Liberal Synagogue in Streatham could be good, but are they close to Balham? I think that is where I'll be moving. I'd love to do a playdate too and can host once I'm settled. And, abodetojoy, I am very interested in the shabbat sing-a-long idea.

/irony

Hurrah!

What do you think about 'white' being a religion? I prefer to think about it as a race, so long as they have the right genetic heritage. I think Britain should be an equal opportunity place, so long as other people know their place, and know that it's a white nation.

I'm thinking we could put it in a constituion: 'Everyone is welcome so long as they know that whites are in charge'. Wouldn't that be great?

I live in Singapore, as many people know, and it was hard to imagine living in a place without many white people.

I'm trying to find a place that has white people pre-schoolers. I'm going to take some of the recommendations that white people have suggested, once I figure out how people with different coloured skin can even drive! LOL!

We could have lots of white parties! YAY!

I'm trying out the local white people place, and hopefully there's some more places for white people!!! They have some great songs starting with 'White is Right', clapping and sing-a-longs! it's so good to hear! LOL!

If we can all get together and sing about whiteness, it'll make it all seem so acceptable!

/end irony

Personal recommendation is not to use 'freedom of speech' to be a bigot.

Peckhampam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Huguenot

> The European Convention on Human Rights upholds

> freedom of thought, conscience and religion and

> the manifestation of religion and belief.

> It is ironic that you chose to post this,

> considering your name-Huguenots were persecuted

> throughout Europe for being different.

It?s also ironic that given what?s happened to Jewry in Europe/Eastern Europe in the last 500 years that the Israelis can persecute the Palestinians the way they do in Israel.

And please don?t squawk anti Semitic- the first demonstration I went on was to stop the nazi NF marching through Lewisham and I have been involved in several Jewish groups since.

PS just for the record I hate anti Jewish racism.

I don't necessarily agree with what you are saying, Huguenot. You could see it as analagous to the way expats tend to stick together and "network" - especially the British. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's the way it is.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of indoctrinating children into religion before they're old enough to see through it, but at the same time, I can understand parents wanting their children to be in touch with their cultural heritage. It's not realistic (or desirable) to pretend that London is culturally homogeneous.

I'm with Jeremy. Isn't it the cultural imports that lend colour to London, that give us our Brazilian bars and jerk chicken festivals, asian restaurants of various ilks, chinese new year celebrations, selfridges salt beef counter etc etc etc?

I know we have a long history of discussing exclusion on this forum, women only swimming and gay bars being two of the classic forum bugbears, but I can't see any harm in some expats gathering together to reaffirm their culture.

I'm sure they'll do this whilst embracing the culture that london has to offer too.

Jeremy's also right that it's the Brits in Spain, Greece etc who are among the worst offenders. I met the aunt and uncle of friends of ours the other day who had moved to Spain 6 years ago, bleated on about how much they love the place and the quality of life they have, and when I tried to engage them in conversation in Spanish they apologised and said they didn't speak a word.

Jaw...floor...

Thank you Chair - I meant.. oh you know what I meant.

Religion as a topic has been covered exhaustively on here before - and will be again no doubt. But I would like to think we can welcome someone first, allow them to bed in and see if they want to talk about it before we just bypass all civility

• 1 month later...

CALLING All EDJs (East Dulwich Jews)

Oy vey, life in fast London has been MESHUGGINA!!! Only a couple weeks left in August. How about we get together toward the end of September for a bit of noshing and kvetching.... start off the New Year meeting new people. If you private message me we can discuss more about details. We can do a 'Hello my name is'.... Shabbat potluck where the kids can run around and the adults can play the Jewish version of Kevin Bacon's 6 degrees of separation. Hope to hear from you soon. Shalom.

• 2 weeks later...