New 24/7 alcohol licence proposed 43 Grove Vale

I've just checked the Licensing Register for shops in Dog Kennel Hill, Grove Vale, and Lordship Lane with licences granted for 24/7 alcohol off-sales. The only ones I've found are:

Sainsbury's, 80 Dog Kennel Hill

Payless Food & Wine, 4-5 Badminton House, Dog Kennel Hill

Payless Food & Wine /Costcutter, 24 Lordship Lane

Londis, 93 Lordship Lane

Payless also have 24/7 licences at 178 Bellenden Road, 121-125 Peckham High Street, St Georges Court SE1.

As an insomniac, I frequently shop for cigarettes in the middle of the night/wee sma' hours of the morning at some of the establishments already mentioned. I've never noticed any trouble at any of them. Another one in Grove Vale will just give me more options. (Though I'm in love with the adorable men at Payless on L.Lane who are too, too sweet.)

I have no personal interest in or view on this particular licence application.

However, I'm querying why exactly James Barber is asking people to make representations to the licensing committee after the statutory consultation period has ended?

The applicant has gone through the proper process, displayed the statutory notice and placed an advert in the local press. (The licensing team will have checked, so James or anyone else failing to spot it is irrelevant. Anyone who is interested - e.g. councillors - can also check the licensing register regularly to find all current licence applications).

Licensing law isn't perfect, and it's an emotive topic, but the process is designed to make sure that interested parties have plenty of time to make representations within 28 days of the application being submitted.

There has only been 1 representation from a local resident, which is why the application has to go to committee; representations from the police and trading standards (statutory authorities) appear to have been withdrawn following conciliation. The people have spoken (or not), so to try to whip up opposition (or support) now is unfair and unjustified.

Good point Shebe.

James Barber's intervention does seem a little leading. Helping otherwise unconcerned people to Look At The Bad Thing. Then helping irresponsibly unconcerned people to understand why it is a Bad Thing by giving them the appropriate categories that define Bad.

Having shaken us from our lethargy and assisted us to identify the Bad Thing, we are then helpfully given the mechanisms by which we might stone it to death, by email.

If there is little naturally occuring complaint, why attempt to whip up concern about something which is following due process correctly and is after all, legal?

shebe and Mike, yes, agreed entirely. I asked on the previous page what evidence James Barber has that this licence is likely to lead to increased domestic violence and fighting in the streets. No answer.

While I think it's laudable that he comes on here in a bid to try to help get things done, I don't think it's acceptable that he uses his position as councillor to grind personal axes.

• 1 month later...