Half moon lane montessori

LeilahB

Hello all - I've been looking at lots of nurseries for my 2.5 year old (1/2 day ones rather than full day care ones) and went to visit the montessori on half moon lane this morning. I absolutely loved the feel of the place - the kids seemed really happy and were doing yoga classes (!), the manager was really friendly, the space was great etc - definitely my favourite of the ones I've seen so far (dulwich village pre-school, BUDs, HH school and mustard seeds). My daughter's quite shy and this will be her first experience of being out of the home on her own as it were, so I am keen to get it right for her. Anyway, I just wanted to canvas opinions and see what others have made of it and whether there are others I should look at (although at this stage, I am slightly running out of steam!) Thanks, L

My daughter goes to the "red class" (for the youngest kids) and seems to really like it there. She's not shy but there's a rather shy girl in her class and I like how the staff interact with her (for as far as I can observe that during pick-up time). They don't force her to be more outgoing, they just let her be herself but they do actively engage with her. I also like the manager, there's nothing fake about her (some school/nursery managers seem to want to "sell" themselves and have different agendas than you'd want them to but A is lovely without all the frills ;)).

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more.

I loved Half Moon Montessori - all 4 of mine went (last one left at Christmas) and it worked really well for them all, despite them being quite different characters. You are so right about the head, she loves kids and is not at all corporate. Couldn't have hoped for a better start for my lot. My eldest (now 12) still pops in sometimes to let her old teachers (most of whom are still there) know how she is getting on - thats got to be a good sign.

2 of my 4 went there. It wasn't so great for boys, but I think it's a reflection on the montessori method rather than the nursery. Having said that they were both relatively happy(ish) and safe there, and it was vast improvement on our horrible experience with Dulwich village pre-school, which my teenage daughter still recalls with horror. Is Dionne still there - she was just reassurance on legs really, and was fab. The best ever, ever nursery though from my perspective was Mustard seed. I could weep even now when I think that my older 3 didn't go there, and my eldest is 15! However I have heard that it's changed in the last couple of years and maybe isn't quite the place it was?

My daughter LOVES Half Moon, as do I. They work to Montessori methodology but not to a militant style. I would still say that you need to be sure that your child will thrive in that encouraging Montessori environment - there's a boy in my daughter's class who really struggles with it and in my (very non-expert) opinion, shouldn't be in the Montessori system.

The staff are amazing - my daughter settled immediately into Red class, and has just moved up to Blue class - and all the staff involved in both classes have taken time to get to know her so that she benefits most from the system.

I've just had another baby (boy, this time) and if he shows signs of being a Montessori type learner, I wouldn't hesitate to send him there.

Thanks so much for all the feedback, Fidgetsmum - I should probably know this given that I'm looking at a montessori nursery, but what do you mean by some children being suited to a montessori system and some not? What type of children would you say are/are not suited? Thanks, L

Have PM'd you re DV Pre school LeilaB.

IME Montessori doesn't work well for kids who just want to run around and play games without being limited by a structure. It's a very structured environment with certain things done at certain times in a certain way. If you have a child who just wants to play Buzz Lightyear with his friends, or Mums & Dads or whatever & isn't so into puzzles, drawing, painting etc.etc then Montessori might not be for them.

There. Sillywoman has explained it perfectly!

My daughter naturally had been systematic in her learning style from very young and also, I was pretty structured with her at home (i.e. don't run around like a banshee all the time - sometimes there are rules) so she slotted right into nursery as it was almost a natural extension of what she has at home. Don't get me wrong - I'm in no way a strict mum, but have just offered structure for her.

There's loads of resource on the internet about Montessori and I think the half moon website gives you a good jist of how they approach it.

p.s. I've also really liked all the parents I've met so far which I take as a very good sign too!

Good point re suitability for boys, I only have girls so have no experience of that. However, in recent years they have added alot of facilities to support "big play" such as ride on bikes and trikes and trains, and an outside (though small)area that is open for play all the time in good weather so they may have addressed these caveats. Mustard Seeds is indeed very fantastic, beautiful space to work in and lovely teachers, and kids I know who went there had a great time and have come out as lovely, well rounded, pleasant people....but it was a bit too Christian for my taste....

• 2 weeks later...

@ Fidgetsmum & sillywoman

What you described here "It's a very structured environment with certain things done at certain times in a certain way" is from my experience a complete misunderstanding of Montessori. My son who is a very lively 3 year old goes to an accredited Montessori school (Rose House) and he just blossomed there from day one.

Half Moon is not an accredited Montessori school and real Montessori schools have nothing militant about them. On the contrary. You should take the time and visit an accredited Montessori setting before come to a conclusion about Montessori. Here is a list with accredited schools in London:

http://www.montessori.org.uk/msa/accreditation/accredited_schools?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZhZG1pbi5tb250ZXNzb3JpLm9yZy51ayUyRnNjaG9vbCUyRmluZGV4JTJGcmVnaW9uX2lkJTJGMTImYWxsPTE%3D

Hi parkview, it maybe a complete misunderstanding of Montessori but it's not of Half-Moon. Half Moon is highly structured with certain things at certain times and in their own way. Staff are fantastic, I have spent some time working there, but would say outdoorsy, boisterous or very creative children would not suit it there as they may find it restrictive.