Manual breast pump: What am I doing wrong?

radnrach

This is quite an urgent query, as I will be going in to work for a day next Tuesday and leaving the hubby with babe, and he's exclusively breastfed.

My very expensive electric breast pump has recently broken, and as I couldn't afford to replace it, I now have an Avent manual pump. I used to be able to pump up to 8 ounces in one go with my electric one, and so far I have only been able to pump up to 2 ounces with this one. On bad days (like today) I laboured for half an hour only to get half an ounce! This was in the morning at the peak milk producing time.

What am I doing wrong?! Does anyone have advice? I know there's milk in there but it just won't come out!

I used the Avent manual pump. Firstly, have you got all the little bits in place on the pump ?. I also found that I had to hold the rubber part of the pump quite hard against my breast... Sorry if not much help.

You may have tried all this, but just in case:

- be close to your baby when pumping, or have a recording of his/her cry or gurgling

- spend 5 minutes massaging your breast first - form your hand into a pointed fist, and roll (don't drag) the fist across your breast from outside to towards the nipple all round the breast (think of a clock face)

- then hand express a little - your hand is more efficient than a pump - as this will get things going

- Drink LOTS and LOTS of water to help with supply

- Try increasing frequency of breastfeeds for a few days too to help with supply

Finally, when I had to express early on with my first baby due to thrush, I found that I got pretty wound up about the fact not much was coming out and that I was failing my baby if I couldn't feed her. A midwife came round and completely relaxed me and said that ultimately, my baby wouldn't starve as although I hated the idea, there was always formula. And you know what? As soon as I relaxed, the flow was much better and I never had to get to the formula situation.

Hope that helps in some way and good luck.

Have you tried ringing up the seller of the pump? During the first year with mine a rubber bit perished so I rang the supplier (found the details in the history of my Amazon account, useful if that's where you got it from) and they sent the part the next day. Also, if not under waranty is it a part that can be replaced. Buying an individual part may be affordable. (When, after the end of the warranty, my adaptor plug broke and I was panicking the kind person at the supplier 'reminded' me that it also works with batteries!)

I can't agree more with what fidgetsmum has said - you do need to do some prep first before you use the pump. Try a hot flannel on your breast before you do the massaging. Then light downward strokes from the armpits to the nipples and soft kneeding with the knuckles around the breast (fist closed). It should stimulate the milk ducts.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments! I had put it together right, I checked the manual many times. It would appear that some people work better with manual, some with electric. And manual certainly is not for me!

Fuschia has very kindly dropped off an electric pump for me, so I'll see how that goes in the morning.

Once again, thanks for all of your help!

• 8 months later...