downsouth

downsouth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't mention it. :))

>

> Asset Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > that's handy to know downsouth, thanks.

Have you read the thread about the flies in Seacow?

"Not E Dulwich, but Masters Superfish on Waterloo Road (about 5 mins past the Old Vic as you walk away from Waterloo towards Elephant) does fantastic fish and chips. Its a licensed restaurant too. Its not a flash place and it is fully of black cab drivers, but to be recommended."

I had fish and chips at Masters a month ago and I wasn't impressed with their chips at all. About a month before that I got some from Olley's at Herne Hill (which I've been to before and liked) and the chips I had were horrible. I have fish and chips too infrequently to chance disappointment, so it'll have to be back to the Sea Shell in Lisson Grove next time. It's been consistently good for years.

I have stood in the lane behind Olley's during the day watching rats scuttling up and down. This was about two or three years ago. Guess where Olley's apparently stores its batter mix (according to the mechanic who worked there)? Why, in one of the arches.

Enjoy.

Again....totally not in South East London. But occasionally we all have to brave the west end. And for a great fish and chips after shopping I would urge you all to head 2 blocks north of Bond St ( 5 min walk) where you will leave behind the horrible impersonal Oxford St and find yourself in the genteel streets of Marlebourne. There you have two of my all time London Secrets - The Golden Hind for fish and chips (sit in option on old wooden tables, fresh fish, byo wine/beer). Its about 100 years old and still Italian run. And reasonable! (?6-?7)

Then have an after the shops pint at the tiny but great Golden Eagle - one of the last pubs in London to have a piano player and a singalong (Thurs and Sunday nights).

If I ever win the lottery and get round to buying a lease and opening a pub here I promise to install a piano player!

Masters Superfish rules! I am a northerner by heritage and a sairf Londoner by luck, and am in a constant search for fish & chips reminiscent of those we devour when on long weekends in Brid (Bridlington, East Yorks. to southerners), when, disgracefully, we eat them for lunch and dinner and bring some back to London to eat later...yeah, I know. I agree with northernmonkey - Superfish in Waterloo has by far the best fried fish in south London; generous portions, perfectly cooked, properly skinned fish, excellent mushy peas. Chips are ok; not perfect, but good enough. Olleys is ok but the portions are ridiculously small for the price they charge. Sea Cow is equally stingy and just pretentious - mushy peas made out of petit pois, for God's sake; I had to remonstrate when I discovered this. They thought I was mad; I have stopped giving them my money. I just drive down to Superfish and all is right with the world!

Remember having fish n' chips in Whitby a few years back because my then girlfriend who was from up that way assured me they'd be the best I'd ever had... What a load of bo!!ocks, best come from Cornwall and Devon.

Have to say, big a fan as I am of Sems, I wish they'd move those huge bins round the back, or pay a private company to empty them more regularly. They can bloody stink, and it doesn't really encourage me to buy my dinner from there.

Many years ago I was a regular at Olley's until the guy behind the counter let me use the toilet out the back. It had a bath in it which was where they kept the fish, nice!

Where is this great fish and chip shop in Sydenham? I need one to visit on the way back from the pub...

Nero Wrote:

> My nana used to work in a chippy a long, long time

> ago and she saw the owner pissing on a pile of

> spuds as he peeled them. TRUE FACT. Shaw Heath,

> Stockport, 1940s or 50s.

I always wondered why some chips looked so green.

DirtyBox Wrote:

> Keef, didn't that used to be a Turkish restaurant?

Not sure, I've only lived there 18 months. I is run by Turkish people I think, so maybe they decided to try something new... It's strictly a take away though (excepting one little table).

• 3 months later...

Kens fish and chip shop in half moon lane beats Ollies hands down, his chips are not greasy and his fish is freshly done while you wait.

I live very close to sema's but prefer to drive to Kens in half moon lane.

He has won some southwark awards too as best 'chipmunk' or something.

I feel I am qualified to answer this question as I am something of a chip afficianado. When I was a teenager I lived on chips and toast and I even insisted my mum make me egg and chips for christmas dinner in spite of the fact that she would be cooking a traditional christmas dinner for 10 people.

My favourite local chip shop is actually in Tulse Hill opposite the second hand car dealers. Very traditional and consistently good. I used to like the chip shop at the top of Denmark Hill despite the fact that you always had to wait for chips when you went in there, which was a good thing because they were always fresh. It's been taken over now so not sure what it's like. Brilliant Chip shop up near the Mount Pleasant sorting office.Proper old fashioned with formica tables and white tea cups run by Italians.Not mad about the one in half moon lane either to be honest. Chips I've got there in the past were cold. Olleys is vastly over rated and I have always thought this. I haven't used it for ages. Those stupid bloody paper cones done it for me (do they still use them). Also turning it all posh and making into a restaurant gave me the hump. Another thing when it comes to chips, and I know it's terribly non PC, but I have yet to get a decent bag of chips in a Chinese Chip shop. Dunno why, perhaps the oil they use is different. I suspect they are not fully committed to chips as they usually have a chinese food menu as well and this is reflected in the quality of chips.

Keef Wrote:

> We have a lovely chip shop on Sydenham High

> Street. Similar in quality to Sems I'd say, but

> they have a bigger selection on the menu which is

> a blessing if like me, you don't like fish.

:'(