The value differential: ED vs Nunhead & The Oak

MrBen

The next road over in the St Francis estate had a three-bedroom (well, yes, the third is admittedly bijou) end-of-terrace sell for ?330K, recorded as of 28 November. No idea of its condition inside; its garden is heavily shadowed by the plane trees along the road between the Hamlet grounds and the estate boundary; noise and night-lights might be a problem. (Not to mention gunplay at Sainsbo's.)

But it's nearer and cheaper than Honor Oak. And I reckon there will be others, are others, in that price range in that estate.

we had this exact issue!

we have grown up round here currently living in a flat in Honor Oak but have just bought a renovation project in Nunhead, lovely big victorian house with three good size doubles. We couldn't find what we wanted in East Dulwich, the standard victorian houses tend to be smaller and your paying a lot more, we also love Honor Oak, great transport connections and I often walk with the buggy to ED/Peckham Rye park, or 5 min drive, but again couldn't find what we wanted! the deciding factor for us was space, were moving because we want a good size family home, so I would recommend Nunhead! in our street alone 5 families have just moved into the street it seems to be a good place to invest and the local schools are improving, were spending the extra money on a kitchen extension!

For me the nicer end of Nunhead is just off Brenchly Gardens with a short walk to Peckham Rye, the streets running in between Athenlay Rd and Ivydale Rd seem to be nice quiet streets, 3 beds with 3 reception rooms.

Good luck

Darn this unfashionable house price quandry which is only remotely interesting if you, like me, actually need to buy a proper house in 2011. Otherwise please move swiftly on to the Fish Man thread. I hear you can get a very nice plaice for ?6.

Sorry....prices are still at peak levels or higher which tells me we're either due a sharp fall or simply years of lowish interest rate stagnation. If it's the latter I may as well jack myself up to maximum "utility yield" now and head to Dovercourt Road no? 5 mins from the park and safely detached from the rest of the world by people with gardeners and nannies.

Do your sums on say 5-7 years of 3%ish average falls and 4% average inflation plus interest rates going up I reckon...maybe good time to get a mortgae now, money should remain cheap but you'll see a depreciation in both nominal and of course real terms I reckon...but hey it's a house

What do people think of se4? If we had any spare cash, that would be a possibility. My dream would be to buy a really big old house - eg with relatives etc - and do it up. My idea (pipe or not) was that there are so few houses with big gardens etc in london that they have to shoot up going forward. OTOH, where does the cash come from?

Curious http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=7057506 not quite 330k

Alex K Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The next road over in the St Francis estate had a

> three-bedroom (well, yes, the third is admittedly

> bijou) end-of-terrace sell for ?330K, recorded as

> of 28 November. No idea of its condition inside;

> its garden is heavily shadowed by the plane trees

> along the road between the Hamlet grounds and the

> estate boundary; noise and night-lights might be a

> problem. (Not to mention gunplay at Sainsbo's.)

>

> But it's nearer and cheaper than Honor Oak. And I

> reckon there will be others, are others, in that

> price range in that estate.

• 3 weeks later...
I moved with my family to Honor Oak last year after 17 years in ED. We have a fabulous house at much better rice than in ED and rising thanks to the lovely overground. There are hidden green spaces such as Blythe Hill and some great eateries close by in Brockley. If only commuters would stop nabbing the parking spaces all would be grand. The families here are more down to earth than the posey ones seen in Lordship Lane and taking over eateries without consideration of others.

Imagine introducing capital gains tax on selling your main house. Presto, every boring wannabe 'property enterpeneur' silenced. It'd clear all those shows off the telly. People would be forced to talk about other things. It'd be bliss.

(I'd personally live in Nunhead, it's never going to get the 'Stoke Newington' treatment, at least not for the next 5 years)

• 1 month later...

Prendergast seems to be attractive a lot of families. I suppose only ones with girls though. Where do the boys go? Askes in T Hill perhaps?

Anyway, a few months into the property year, what do people think? It is an interesting one but I am starting to think that ED has topped out and that it is time to go for the peripheral areas. I hadn't even thought of the secondary schools issues but that would be another reason....

nicolajaneG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The families here are more down to earth

> than the posey ones seen in Lordship Lane and

> taking over eateries without consideration of

> others.

I can't fathom what this sentence is trying to say. Are entire families taking over eateries inconsiderately across ED? How do you take over an eatery? And do it inconsiderately as well?

We bought our house last year for 450k, it's in ED, v close to Lordship Lane - it's a fixer-upper though, and we'll be working on it for a while (nothing structurally wrong with it but it was neglected for many years!). It's a good size, all bedrooms are double and there's plenty of room for a loft conversion.

Garden is microscopic though and loses the sun by about 2pm.

we were previously in herne hill, needed to move though as my son kept getting mugged. I'm not naive enough to think that there's zero possibility of that happening again but we do feel safer that little bit further away from Brixton.

what attracted us to ED was the high street, herne hill is fabulous and has the most beautiful park (brockwell) but it didn't ever feel like it had a heart and I think you can find that with some of the other areas round here too...

anyway, if we'd not been able to get our house we'd have definitely moved to nunhead, it's very nice round there and some of the places we saw were enormous with the most fabulous large gardens too!

v happy to be here though, we've got everything we need within walking distance, it's a great place to live. I've lived in maida vale, chelsea and wimbledon before but east dulwich is by far my favourite :-)

i don't think it's necessarily the 'being further away from brixton' thing. Herne Hill itself seemed to deteriorate in terms of crime and antisocial behaviour in 2009 and doesn't seem to have got better. not sure what the reason is for that, but still.

i also agree about HH not having a proper 'heart' or centre. I guess it's really just a little place stuck between various bigger ones.