The value differential: ED vs Nunhead & The Oak

MrBen

Mr. Ben I moved out of ED but only 20 minutes walk away while my terrace house was being renovated. I have to say there was nothing wrong with it but it was not the same. 20 minutes may as well have been an hour, mainly i lost the sense of living in a little village like i get in ED. There are things I would change but we love living in ED and i wouldn't sell up for a place 20 minutes walk away, i would probably prefer to move to a completely different area of london.

I think the value differential you quoted is not quite right though...i would bite anyone's hand off if they offered me 600 let alone 700k, but the point is probably valid. Even so, having experienced moving out for 5 months I know what its like and I really missed the place a lot, and would recommend against it, but that's just me.

Congratulations to Indiepanda on your new house.

As ED downunder says you may as well move out of the area completely. Being closby is not the same, you will not be able to walk out of your front door down to the local places of ED and back. Honor Oak may change though in the future.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A house prices thread! Woo!! It's been a while.

>

> Jezza - here you go: check out this little fella

>

> Lawks-a-mercy!

Crikey indeed. I think we viewed that house when we moved to ED in 1995. It was on the market for about....?95,000.

Make what you will of that...

If only the price difference were so much. I'm looking for a 3-4 bed house in ED, Peckham Rye, HOP or FH and maybe HOP and FH are slightly cheaper for a bit more house. Anything halfway decent seems to be minimum ?500k.

Good schools are dictating our move, Fairlawn, Dalmain and Stillness look very appealing. Right now our closest school is Bellenden but we're only renting anyway.

any tips appreciated!

When we were househunting around 18 months ago, you could get a 3 bedder in ED for around 450-500k but they were fairly small, with few having more than backyard sized gardens - or required too much work for our budget. For the same price bracket we eventually settled on one of the streets off Bellenden, which got us a lovely Victorian terrace with three decent sized double bedrooms and a decent sized garden (the big advantage of Peckham over ED) which needed a bit (but not too much) of improvement.

We're still only 5-10 mins from the bottom of Lordship Lane - but also have the benefit of Peckham Rye's better train connections / impending East London line. Also - now have the benefit of new pubs, delis, etc etc in the Bellenden area which is an added bonus on the doorstep.

Looked at several houses in both Nunhead and Honor Oad. Nunhead victorian terraces tended to be bigger still and have decent gardens - but the longer walk to shopping streets / community hubs was a deal breaker there. Honor Oak had the advantage of a nice little street / centre with cafes etc, but felt more removed from the centre of London - which I accept could be what some people are looking for, but as we were moving from Kennington was probably a step farther than we wanted. The price advantage is also reduced now the East London line is up and running.

Got to agree with jimmyraj, if you haven't already, look at Peckham Rye. We lumbed for it over ED for similar reasons as above, but touching on your orginal "value query" could get good sized 3 bed for the price of a 2 bed in ED. Seen recent 3 beds with asking prices of circa 450k-500k, compared to the 550k-600k in ED. Peckham Rye is actually closer to Lordship Lane than much of SE22. Could be the perfect compromise.

hmmm, i'd love to stay in Peckham Rye (better rail links than anywhere else, though schools remain an issue) but most of the houses are poky and not 3 double bedrooms. Also find prices aren't looking any different from SE22 these days ...

but maybe just because there is VERY LITTLE actually on the market.

Have lived in Nunhead for 13+ years and love it - very friendly, village feel, 5 minute walk to Peckham Rye Park, 15 minute walk over the park to Lordship Lane...close enough to be convenient, far enough away to feel like we are in a quieter neck of the woods (not for everyone I know).

I love the fact that because of the park, railway line and cemetery we are fairly cut off so we don't have loads of traffic etc.

My friends moved to Honor Oak a year ago - similar doubts as OP and are very happy there, got a bigger house for 100k less by moving 'across the tracks' so to speak!

Good luck with the house hunt.

We have similiar quandry - we need to downsize from our large 4 bedroomed house in the next few years due to retirement, but with 6 grandchildren who stay over, would want a 3 bedroom place. 2 double bedroom and a single room to act as a study. Looking at all the estate agents sites, there is very little in ED with decent size rooms, a shower (not over the bath - have a disability) and have 2 toilets. We are looking to the future as if we became more disabled mobility wise, we would need space either to convert a downstairs room into a bedroom and have shower/wc downstairs. Level access on ground floor and level access into house. Alternative would be to have a straight wide staircase for a stairlift. Also parking for car.Garden essential for cats.

What I have seen so far will cost me as much as my current home is worth for a much smaller place.

ED lacks private sheltered housing complexes - there is only one in Half Moon Lane.

Talking about gentrification, in 1969 my mother and I moved from Spurling Road as many of the properties there were deemed poor quality and area had been designated as a slum clearance area twice We went up to Forest Hill, but I later returned to Ondine Road (Grove vale end) before purchasing with relatives my present house. Interestingly, the slum clearance did not happen in Spurling Road so assume new owners spent a few thousand on modernising the properties.

The primary schools around Bellenden end of Peckham seem fine, with reasonable reports about DKH, Bellenden etc (or at least I will find out soon with one on the way). Secondary schools are an issue throughout the area, ED included. I will have to think long and hard about that one in ten years time.

mrcee Wrote:

> I looked at this when I first moved to the area

> and chose Honor Oak Park but mainly for the better

> transport links i.e. East London Line and when

> Thameslink finishes the through trains to Kings

> Cross will be excellent (I work in the north part

> of the city). Plus both Fairlawn and Stillness are

> very good schools.

>

Just on the Thameslink - surely it's not definite that it will stop at HOP?

> Although I loved ED i realised that during my

> working week (Long hours, work drinks etc) I would

> not benefit from being in ED hence the price didnt

> stack up and at the weekend I can always pop down

> to lordship lane if I wanted to. I figured even

> for nights out that the 300k difference covered a

> lot of cabs plus its better to live somewhere

> relatively quiet and travel for mayhem than live

> in mayhem.

>

> I dont think you can go wrong with either option.

Yes it is definitely planned to stop at HOP, you need to look at page 113 of the South London Rail Strategy http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/rus%20documents/route%20utilisation%20strategies/south%20london/south%20london%20rus.pdf

It shows that Honor Oak will be served with the below trains in morning peak (please bear in mind in 2018!)

- 2 trains per hour terminating at London Bridge

- 10 trains per hour on East London Line

- 4 trains per hour on Thameslink (Blackfrairs, Kings Cross etc)

- 2 trains per hour to Victoria

The only realistic way for HOP not to benefit is if they scrap Thameslink altogether however I think thats been secured now and they have already started works at blackfriars, LB etc.

As i said I am biased but i do like both areas, you cannot go wrong with either. For me personally when i looked at transport, schools, house prices and crime HOP seemed to work out better for me. Travelling to ED on a weekend etc is no hassle for the price difference, its better for me to have an easier journey to work than to lordship lane until i retire that is :-)

mrcee Wrote:

> I looked at this when I first moved to the area

> and chose Honor Oak Park but mainly for the better

> transport links i.e. East London Line and when

> Thameslink finishes the through trains to Kings

> Cross will be excellent (I work in the north part

> of the city). Plus both Fairlawn and Stillness are

> very good schools.

>

Just on the Thameslink - surely it's not definite that it will stop at HOP?

> Although I loved ED i realised that during my

> working week (Long hours, work drinks etc) I would

> not benefit from being in ED hence the price didnt

> stack up and at the weekend I can always pop down

> to lordship lane if I wanted to. I figured even

> for nights out that the 300k difference covered a

> lot of cabs plus its better to live somewhere

> relatively quiet and travel for mayhem than live

> in mayhem.

>

> I dont think you can go wrong with either option.

Oh hurrah, many thanks for this. Let's hope they don't change it.

mrcee Wrote:

> Yes it is definitely planned to stop at HOP, you

> need to look at page 113 of the South London Rail

> Strategy

> http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/ru

> s%20documents/route%20utilisation%20strategies/sou

> th%20london/south%20london%20rus.pdf

>

> It shows that Honor Oak will be served with the

> below trains in morning peak (please bear in mind

> in 2018!)

> - 2 trains per hour terminating at London Bridge

> - 10 trains per hour on East London Line

> - 4 trains per hour on Thameslink (Blackfrairs,

> Kings Cross etc)

> - 2 trains per hour to Victoria

>

> The only realistic way for HOP not to benefit is

> if they scrap Thameslink altogether however I

> think thats been secured now and they have already

> started works at blackfriars, LB etc.

>

> As i said I am biased but i do like both areas,

> you cannot go wrong with either. For me personally

> when i looked at transport, schools, house prices

> and crime HOP seemed to work out better for me.

> Travelling to ED on a weekend etc is no hassle for

> the price difference, its better for me to have an

> easier journey to work than to lordship lane until

> i retire that is :-)

>

> mrcee Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I looked at this when I first moved to the area

>

> > and chose Honor Oak Park but mainly for the

> better