Loving One Born Every Minute tonight....

Meant to be having a forum break, but couldn't resist sharing my enjoyment of this week's episode. I am soooo the twin of that big sister.... I would be a rubbish birth partner - I found myself responding exactly like her to the whole thing. But what a cool customer is little sis (and what is with her man friend's non-stop texting!!!?)

Thank god I am not having any more children. It's bl**dy awful. Even the good births.

I liked when Maxwell was trying to suggest he go home for a sleep.

Tendayi - "you are going nowhere"

End of discussion!

Maxwell (to himself, looking like he might cry) - "I just want to sleep!".

What a lovely couple. And pleased he got a son, as he has 3 daughters already, and se has one (all from previous relationships, think this was their first child together).

Nice interview with them here.

Also liked Kate, the Welsh lass, thought she was a very cool customer.

ooh, interesting background info Keef! Love it. Agree - thought in fact all 3 were nice couples, and it was really nice (and reassuring) to see some less stressful looking births. Plus funny how we were commenting on all the women on hteir backs last week - t here was far more on all fours action this week!

It was actually suprising to realise they were so close with each of them, when it came to pushing time, you wouldn't have guessed. I loved it when Maxwell was really reassuring about the epidural, I was a bit worried for a second he might remind her that she'd wanted to do it naturally, like the annoying policeman from the first series.

Keef, I suspect you are one of a minority of men who watch this programme....I salute you!

I don't know, I suspect there are a fair few fellas who watch it because their other halves are watching it. I do actually like it, and what are the alternatives? (Glee... WTF is that about!?!?!?).

I guess I watch it in a different way from most of you ladies. I like watching the blokes, and either relate to them (like with Maxwell desperate to sleep), or think they're complete tw@ts, and that I'm not all that bad after all. Also think that it is done with a real comedy edge to it.

That said, I can be a right old softy, and enjoy seeing them meet their babies for the first time.

Find some of the midwives very annoying, but then, so does Mrs Keef.

I swore I wouldn't watch after last week's episode (which, as a first timer didn't make me scared so much as totally in denial that I would EVER have to go through that). But I did watch and was reassured by the positive attitude of all the women - really positive stuff!

I loved the older sister - when I went to King's to be a last minute extra birth companion for my sister it was all I could do to stop fainting too and I thought at the time it was just me! But I wonder if it's something to do about seeing someone you know and love extremely deeply in pain and knowing that there is absolutely nothing you could do to stop the pain? I was fine as long as I could shout reassuring words, or massage her back, but once we were into the getting ready for theatre stage I pretty much lost it. I also wonder if its different for birth companions who have already given birth. None of the Mums seem to faint....

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

u!

>

> I don't know, I suspect there are a fair few

> fellas who watch it because their other halves are

> watching it. I do actually like it, and what are

> the alternatives? (Glee... WTF is that

> about!?!?!?).

erm, actually, Monday nights are a big tv clash for me because I do like Glee and America's Next Top Model as well...:-$ - I like to think OBEM compensates for my otherwise shallow tastes.

I can't help but well up at each birth, must be a sort of primal thing reaction. I love the way they edit the programme, and the interviews are often genius, I'm so glad they didn't keep up the ill-advised xmas format.

Teary and broody watching this episode last night. Loved Tendayi and Maxwell, especially when he was reading out loud from that book.

Was really struck by how chilled all 3 couples were. Wish I'd trained as a midwife, what an amazing profession.

I'm in FLOODS every time a baby pops out - my husband stares at me in disbelief. I loved Monday's episode - fab births for 3 first-timers - bet they'll all be having more!

I'd love to be a birth partner - no sisters tho and everyone else just have husbands/partners with them. :'(

Was brill when, as a way to pass the time during the induction maxwell was reading aloud from the book of facts about people's sex lives, eg 50% of couples say their spouse isn't their best lover, and his partner asked him which 50% he was in and he evaded answering!

Am very much liking SMW or should it be SMWW? Will definitely adopt a moniker to reflect new status should I get through selection process & 3 years of training. Don't hold your breath!

SW

(And Thankyou very much indeed or the supportive posts, they've come at a particularly good time :))

Ha, same boat as you SW. Want to train, don't want to be in flood of tears at every birth. Infact I don't even think I want to train to deliver the babies I would rather deliver exceptional home visits afterwards! I've dropped my Doula idea as I wouldn't want to take money from vulnerable woman who should be getting the services for free!!!!!

All Mum's and babes in ED and then watching this programme is making me EXTREMELY broody! I cry at every birth they show. The birthing pool this week definitely made me decide I want a pool birth- I've always loved being in water, and I like the way you can hang onto the edges! Seems like you're more in control of finding a comfortable position than laying on a bed.

Laying flat on a bed seems like the most ridicolous position to birth a baby in, it didn't help me progress at all, but labour IS knackering. I'm gunning for a Water VBAC this time, have told Husband we may need to bring our own paddling pool with us because of all the opposition we're up against.

My Mum (of Kibbutzim/extended BF forum fame) is an Obstertrician and attends high risk births. Or she did before she retired. She was very much 'Come on, lets get the baby out and have a nice cuppa'. She was always very gung ho about it, she wasn't there when Baby Seb was being born but I spoke to her on the phone and she said 'Don't think about 'opening like a beaaaaaaaaaauuuutiful flower' but do think about him moving down and the lovely Nandos burger you can get Husband to fetch for you afterwards. You like a nice burger!'. It was really helpful actually. 10/10, would recommend to others.

I longed for my pool birth, planned it all and everything. In really early stages for like 13 hours, then within 2 hours went from 1 to 8 cm dilated and was too late by the time I got to hospital so all I hear is ..."Oops too late, I can see the head, we must start pushing"

Ended up still having a brilliant natural labour with my lovely midwife, and probably honestly wouldn't change it for the world. The way it happened or where never mattered once from that point!