Lordship Lane street party for Royal Wedding?

silverfox

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone not entirely enamoured of the impending

> nuptials might want to get in a supply of these...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you click on the sick bag you can see that it says "throne up" at the top :))

ayresc Wrote:

> great idea.

>

> shocked about the lefty response!

Is being a republican the same thing as being "lefty"?. Eg Oliver Cromwell, Nicolas Sarkozy, Presidents of the US (various)?

Several members of the Royal family are on the left of the current government anyway. Charles is against food monopolies and speculation on food prices, he would def be a vg thing at Defra, and Her Maj the Queen I'm sure would stop short of leaving the sick and elderly out on hillsides to die, which is pretty much the way we seem to be going.

Magpie Wrote:

> Sounds like a great idea - lots of po faced

> republicans on here by the looks of things,

> although a residential street or Goose Green would

> be more practical. The Royal family, are by the

> way, net contributors to the public coffers as a

> result of the Treasury receiving all income

> generated from the the Crown Estates, which are

> the legal property of the Queen.

Actually royal residences where there are no more royals (Tower of London) make a lot more money and are cheaper to run than the ones taken up by the royals. And people really come out for beheadings as well as weddings. Could you imagine the merchandise?

And that .62 a person a year isn't all it costs you. The real price tag is much higher. 'Although the Palace never discusses security or includes it in its annual balance sheet, the cost of protecting the Royal Family is said to be almost ?100 million a year'(That's a quote from the Times). The greater cost is the fact our children will never grow up with a possibility of being head of state. They will be asked to look up to the current crop of royals, a pretty sad lot, completely out of touch.

Too bad another family can't take it off them. One that is actually British would be an improvement.

If we really wanted to save some money we get a real head of state. They could surrender all the state gifts, and move into a council house, or perhaps just buy their own houses. It's not like they couldn't afford it.

From the sound of things on this forum, a Republican party on May 1 might not only be more popular; it might be a lot more fun.

T

• 2 weeks later...
So basically we've a choice with people just out for having a laugh on a sort of communal day...or an alternative party with a bunch of po-faced middle class republican 'look at us we're so rad and above it all man' miseries....I know which one I'll be attending

???? Wrote:

> So basically we've a choice with people just out

> for having a laugh on a sort of communal day...or

> an alternative party with a bunch of po-faced

> middle class republican 'look at us we're so rad

> and above it all man' miseries....I know which one

> I'll be attending

Quids, my offer still stands...

Re: Lordship Lane street party for Royal Wedding?

Posted by: HonaloochieB January 19, 01:27PM

Tell you what Sue I'll start the ball rolling.

I'll pony up several big tubs of M&S deli coleslaw, a dozen M&S baguettes, various M&S dips, let's say half a dozen litre packs of M&S juices (even unto mandarin orange) and a good selection of M&S cold meats.

If that don't put a smile on the po-faced middle-class republican contingent, then I'm jiggered to know what will.

duchessofdulwich Wrote:

> i think silver fox's idea for a street party was a

> good one. its a shame people had to knock her for

> trying

xxxxxx

But if she wants a street party, why doesn't she organise one?

Nobody here is stopping her as far as I can see, and some people seem to like the idea.

ETA: However if she just thinks it would be a nice idea but wants someone else to do all the work, then that's a different thing ....

Hi lordshilass,

Deadline is tomorrow to apply to the council - this is due to the legal requirement for advertise any road closures and check with emergecny services that they don't have a problem with anything proposes. This latter point is even more important is several roads plan to close on the same day.

This from the Islington Gazette:

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/features/do_we_really_need_to_have_a_right_royal_knees_up_1_811135

It seems that Islington council haven't received a single application for a street party that weekend, despite waving the standard fee it costs to close a street i.e ?3,200.

Seems as though a lot of people just aren't up for it.

• 2 weeks later...