Lordship Lane street party for Royal Wedding?

silverfox

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> 'The Royals' cost us 62p each last year

Thanks for the numbers Bob.

If you multiply 62p by the number of years you expect to be a taxpayer, then divide by the number of Royal weddings/jubilees that prompt an extra Bank holiday, I reckon that's pretty good value for each day off produced.

If anyone has the figures for how much tourist income they generate that would be useful; I suspect it's a healthy multiple of the amount spent on them.

Outdated they may be but so is Shakespeare and all the rest of Britain's history that draws the crowds. I'm no royalist but I am a pragmatist so I'm happy to raise a glass to the continuation of an institution that brings in plenty of dollars/yen etc.

I vote for Goose Green.

If people want a street party, why not arrange something this year for

The Big Lunch ?

Crystal Palace Road and other roads in East Dulwich took part last year, and it was a great success.

Personally I have no interest whatsoever in the Royal Wedding, and no wish to celebrate it on the day in any way whatsoever :))

> No thank you. Militaristic flag-waving is more

> offensive than the irritation of the Royal Family.

Not half as offensive as i find this statement though BrandNewGuy.

Being able to separate politics from the bravery of troops putting themselves in harms way, i feel, (if we can actually afford a street party of any kind,) that this is a fine idea...

panda boy Wrote:

> > No thank you. Militaristic flag-waving is more

> > offensive than the irritation of the Royal

> Family.

>

> Not half as offensive as i find this statement

> though BrandNewGuy.

> Being able to separate politics from the bravery

> of troops putting themselves in harms way, i feel,

> (if we can actually afford a street party of any

> kind,) that this is a fine idea...

Well count me out. Warmongering politicians rely on people making that separation to continue their wars.

Back to the point of the thread, I don't see why a street party has to have any other purpose than just getting neighbours together to enjoy each other's company and have a good time. I wouldn't expect people who come round for Christmas drinks to have to subscribe to the Christian faith, so why should a street party be any different?

As Sue (who was crucial to making it all go with a swing!) points out, we had a Big Lunch last year on Crystal Palace Road - see CPR Big Lunch 2010_109 - and on a number of other roads in East Dulwich and Peckham.

The date of this year's Big Lunch has already been set.

It's Sunday 5 June - see http://www.thebiglunch.com/map/find-a-big-lunch.php - and we'll certainly be trying to organise a Crystal Palace Road Big Lunch again this year.

> Well count me out. Warmongering politicians rely

> on people making that separation to continue their

> wars.

Consider yourself counted out then, but it seems pretty simplistic to state that by supporting soldiers implies that one supports the political decisions to go to, or continue to go to war.

And I don't think that politicians actually rely on public support to go to war anymore, (e.g. over 1 million people marching in London against a war that went on regardless,) they have the media for that.

(Admittedly slightly off topic (sorry!) but i found it hard to take BrandNewGuys comments without responding.

> Back to the point of the thread,

Couldn't agree more...

Sounds like a great idea - lots of po faced republicans on here by the looks of things, although a residential street or Goose Green would be more practical. The Royal family, are by the way, net contributors to the public coffers as a result of the Treasury receiving all income generated from the the Crown Estates, which are the legal property of the Queen.

That's right.

Everybody seems to forget that 'The Monarchy' started-out as a small family business (with King Egbert in the early 9th century) and - through sheer hard work and determination alone - have built this business up to be the profitable success it is today.

I think that's right anyway.

civilservant Wrote:

we had a Big Lunch last year

> on Crystal Palace Road - see

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jermynphotography/480

> 8123956/ - and on a number of other roads in East

> Dulwich and Peckham.

>

> The date of this year's Big Lunch has already been

> set.

> It's Sunday 5 June - see

> http://www.thebiglunch.com/map/find-a-big-lunch.ph

> p - and we'll certainly be trying to organise a

> Crystal Palace Road Big Lunch again this year.

xxxxxxxx

A street party does of course rely on a group of dedicated people to make it happen, and in particular somebody to co-ordinate the whole thing.

I don't know if it's done to mention real names on here, but you know who you are .... you were a star, CPR resident (and the rest of you).

All very well saying "oooh, a street party", but are you willing to take on the hard work involved?

It's fun, mind you :)

Keef Wrote:

> I don't get why anyone would want to throw a party

> for the service men and women. Grot that a bit

> like saying "sorry it's so rotten over there, but

> we're thinking of you whilst having a great old

> time".

Can't agree more. If you want to show support for the troops, next time you see a serviceman/woman back from active service, make a point of walking up to them, shake their hand and then buy them a beer/box of chocolates/lunch. That will make them feel appreciated, not a party in their absence.

The problem with holding a public street party is that it looks as though you are speaking on behalf of the community... when in fact the relevance of the royal family is a divisive issue. By all means celebrate if you want, but do it in your home, or hire a hall.

From my point of view - best of luck to them, but I've no intention of celebrating the wedding of two people I don't know.