knife crime in dulwich and muggings

VIGIL FOR BILAL KARGBO TRAGICALLY KILLED IN PECKHAM KNIFE CRIME ATTACK ON 28th APRIL 2017

The Vigil for Bilal Kargbo the young person who was tragically killed on Friday 28th 2017 will be held:

Date: FRIDAY 5TH MAY 2017

Time: 5.30pm - 7.30pm

Venue: The Peace Garden - Walworth Methodist Church, 54 Camberwell Road London SE5 0EN

Cllr Rosie Shimell and I are organising personal hand held metal detectors for East Dulwich ward local Police.

We did this some years ago for the whole of front linePolcie in Southwark - but officers move on.

They make it far quicker, less intrusive and safer for Police to check during a search if someone had any metal on them - knives, needles, etc. It's a tiny step towards helping the Police.

Local Police ask that people report suspicious activities. Give them more intel to work with.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cllr Rosie Shimell and I are organising personal

> hand held metal detectors for East Dulwich ward

> local Police.

> We did this some years ago for the whole of front

> linePolcie in Southwark - but officers move on.

> They make it far quicker, less intrusive and safer

> for Police to check during a search if someone had

> any metal on them - knives, needles, etc. It's a

> tiny step towards helping the Police.

>

> Local Police ask that people report suspicious

> activities. Give them more intel to work with.

Hi James.

Finding weapons (Knives) is not the problem..

The problem is what happens to those caught with a knife.

At the moment, not much. There is no deterrent.

Slap on the wrist. No. cant even do that. That would be assault.

The Police have their hands tied. There has to be changes to the Law.

DulwichFox

Hi DF,

I disagree. The reasons people feel the need to carry knives in the problem. The chances of Police catching people relatively low. Young male adults aren't mentally wired to weigh up risks of being caught and consequences.

You and I being nowhere near our teenage years get it but we're hardly likely to carry knives!

Weirdly the more fuss we make about knife crime then the primary reasons for teenagers carrying knives (research suggests 85% carry them for self protection), the teenagers are likely to carry knives. Fortunately few teenagers read this forum.

Police stats of reported crime - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/datasets/crimeinenglandandwalesbulletintables

Attached is relevant table appear to show a slight reduction in knife crime over recent years. Hopefully recent incidents are a stats blip made much more alarming by recent local incidents.

Interesting Guardian article form last month - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/28/beyond-the-blade-the-truth-about-knife-in-britain

Ministry of Justice latest quarterly report on Knife crime sentencing - please see attached - this link - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/597771/knife-possession-sentencing-statistics-oct-dec-2016.pdf

Summary Oct-Dec 2016:

4206 knife possession offences - 41% of adult offenders immediately imprisoned for average of 7.7 months, 11% of youth offenders.

People prosecuted are not getting slaps on wrist.

If you're caught with a knife twice it's a mandatory 6 months

Is that how I should read it (unless there are exceptional circumstances) ?

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/bladed-article-offensive-weapon-possession-of/

"When sentencing the offences of;

Possession of an offensive weapon in a public place;

Possession of an article with a blade/ point in a public place;

Possession of an offensive weapon on school premises; and

Possession of an article with blade/ point on school premises

a court must impose a sentence of at least 6 months imprisonment where this is a second or further relevant offence unless the court is of the opinion that there are particular circumstances relating to the offence or the offender which make it unjust to do so in all the circumstances.

A ?relevant offence? includes those offences listed above and the following offences;

Threatening with an offensive weapon in a public place;

Threatening with an article with a blade/ point in a public place;

Threatening with an article with a blade/ point on school premises; and

Threatening with an offensive weapon on school premises."

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you're caught with a knife twice it's a

> mandatory 6 months

>

> Is that how I should read it (unless there are

> exceptional circumstances) ?

>

> https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item

> /bladed-article-offensive-weapon-possession-of/

>

> "When sentencing the offences of;

> Possession of an offensive weapon in a public

> place;

> Possession of an article with a blade/ point in a

> public place;

> Possession of an offensive weapon on school

> premises; and

> Possession of an article with blade/ point on

> school premises

> a court must impose a sentence of at least 6

> months imprisonment where this is a second or

> further relevant offence unless the court is of

> the opinion that there are particular

> circumstances relating to the offence or the

> offender which make it unjust to do so in all the

> circumstances.

> A ?relevant offence? includes those offences

> listed above and the following offences;

> Threatening with an offensive weapon in a public

> place;

> Threatening with an article with a blade/ point in

> a public place;

> Threatening with an article with a blade/ point on

> school premises; and

> Threatening with an offensive weapon on school

> premises."

I can tell you now- there are at least 3 schools in South London that would NOT take the possession of a blade or point, or threatening with a blade or point- any further than the Deputy Head in charge of behaviour! Which of course is why it was not nipped in the bid decades ago when we possibly had the prison/ youth offenders' places.