Virginmedia broadband issues (in East Dulwich)

I wrote the following on an earlier thread towards the end of last year regarding Virgin Media

"I have been with Virgin Media for years, I have had more engineers round than.....!!. I had another problem last year and got so fed up, I googled the Chief Executives name, got his email address, wrote to him and within 24 hours there was an army of engineers at the property, been fine ever since. Good luck"

Now if one person can get a response like that (although I did say I would spend the next 5 years putting people off the company) think what a group like this could do?

You should email them all this stuff.

• 1 month later...

Anyone having any joy from Virgin - we've been without TV and the internet (honestly it's like the 1950s - we've had to TALK to each other) since Friday afternoon. Am logging on from relative's house to post this, but I really wish I'd read this extensive thread about how rubbish Virgin's service is as we would never have swapped from BT.

My husband is freelance and while we are sort of enjoying the break from 20th Century communication, by next week it won't be so funny. All Virgin say is there's a fault in the SE22 area. This happens on an all too regular basis - so heads up to anyone thinking of signing up to Virgin - really not a good service at all.

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd have to say that my experience with Virgin is

> that problems are few and far between.I couldn't

> justify calling their service as rubbish.

Well that's good to hear there are some satisfied customers but I reckon the I'm going to take the advice of an earlier poster and email the chief exec. Out of interest Narnia are you an Se22 postcode ? Every time I've called virgin they say it's a fault in the se22 area .

No internet or tv since 2pm Friday, they say it won't be fixed til 9am 8th feb.. but as I've been fobbed off so many times by them saying it'll be fixed in a few hours, or the next day, I don't believe them at all. They've offered me ?5 off my bill, but as I've rang them 4 times now on a 0845 number from my mobile, being put on hold, I've spent way over ?5 just calling them. Luckily I have 3GB allowance on my phone, so made a wifi hotspot. But being at home 24/7 with no tv or internet (I don't have normal tv), has been utterly boring and I'm fed up of being fobbed off by Virgin every time I call. If it's not fixed by 8th feb 9am, some managers are going to be getting an earful!

I've had intermittent broadband service since starting this thread, no discernible pattern. Luckliny my neighbout has given me his WiFi password and said he won't change it, so switch to his when I need to, but this seems obtuse given that VIRGIN are recieving 100% of my subscription and that neighbour receives nothing for approx 30% of my usage.

Neighbour is on Virgin too, which is even more of a wind-up.

I'd love an engineer to come round but after 2x appointments where they don't turn-up and I have no comms advising me beforehand, I've lost more money from unpaid days off work than my annual virgin subscription !

Seriously couldn't invent this stuff.

Grrr they refused to offer me more money off! I can't even afford my bill as it is. Now theyre saying 10pm tomorrow, but i bet thats just another lie.

My flat has never been so quiet with no tv or internet. I'm unemployed and cant job hunt without internet, and broke so can't go out far.. I'm utterly bored with nothing to do but clean the flat.

I had the Virgin engineers out yesterday and apparently the main network guys put the wrong network box in when they were doing repairs and an upgrade to the one on Melbourne Grove. This has knocked out the broadband and TV signal to most people in the area. They said it would be fixed by this morning... Fingers crossed

JMC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had the Virgin engineers out yesterday and

> apparently the main network guys put the wrong

> network box in when they were doing repairs and an

> upgrade to the one on Melbourne Grove. This has

> knocked out the broadband and TV signal to most

> people in the area. They said it would be fixed

> by this morning... Fingers crossed

I'm on Melbourne Grove so I guess thats why. At last some explanation though, I've just been fobbed off for days. Thanks for the update. Hopefully it'll be back up today, my mobile internet allowance is running out fast!

[Edit] 13:38 - internet is working now.. but still no tv. This flat has never been so silent, it's spooky!

I had Be broadband. It was top rated by Which? Quite cheap (?7.50 or so for 8MB; you can pay more for higher speed) and very good service. You need to have a BT line, though. My BT line was crap so had to switch everything to Virgin (not Be's fault). No problem so far.

So are BT. I've been a life long user of BT thinking they would improve. When I tried to move my BT a month ago to my new address they cancelled my order with no explanation, and no apology - first available date for the engineer scheduled for March (that was bad enough), then I was told it would be April. I was told I would have to put up with it or go elsewhere. So Virgin Media it is - it's being installed next week!

There's good and bad for just about any provider. We're on BT Broadband and getting an actual download of 16085Kbps as we speak, never had a gap in service. Telly through Sky and always been 100% unless it snowed on the dish..

You pays your money I guess.

> We're on BT Broadband and getting an actual download of 16085Kbps as we speak,

I'm on Virgin National (ADSL). Apart from a total of about twelve weeks when my download speeds have approached the 7.5 Mbps that my system routinely negotiates on connection, all my downloads, however measured, have a very noticeable ceiling, quickly reached, close to 860 kbps, regardless of time of day, and despite a daily download total usually well under 100MB. All for ?18. :)

Unrecorded periods, in the attached plot of brief tests on speedtest.net, are all periods when the standard 860 kbps ceiling applied.