> young girls are preoccupied by their phones in

> public places because they're used as a barrier to

> keep away the unwanted attentions of sexually

> aggressive men.

>

> This is true in my case and I imagine in many

> other cases too.

I agree with Huguenot & Zeban.

Both my daughters (early twenties & late teens) have always used their phones for this purpose, so I'm sure it is a common practise amongst young females.

When they have been alone, either walking home, at bus stops etc and have been worried about attracting the attention of predatory males, they feel far less vulnerable if they are chatting into a phone. It also means that they don't have to talk/make conversation with them, if they don't want to.

Usually, by the time they have finished the real or pretend phone call, the male in question has lost interest and moved elsewhere.

aquarius moon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> zeban Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Huguenot wrote:

> >

> > 'It wouldn't surprise me if we discovered that

> > young girls are preoccupied by their phones in

> > public places because they're used as a barrier

> to

> > keep away the unwanted attentions of sexually

> > aggressive men.

> >

> > This is true in my case and I imagine in many

> > other cases too.

>

> I agree with Huguenot & Zeban.

> Both my daughters (early twenties & late teens)

> have always used their phones for this purpose, so

> I'm sure it is a common practise amongst young

> females.

> When they have been alone, either walking home, at

> bus stops etc and have been worried about

> attracting the attention of predatory males, they

> feel far less vulnerable if they are chatting into

> a phone. It also means that they don't have to

> talk/make conversation with them, if they don't

> want to.

> Usually, by the time they have finished the real

> or pretend phone call, the male in question has

> lost interest and moved elsewhere.

Makes sense but what a sad relection of our Society circa 2010. I have heard that said about young Females late at night which makes perfect sense but its like that during the day, as well in broad daylight!

Simonet Wrote:

'I'm embarassed for some of them as their lives appear to consist of endless Chit-Chat, about nothing in particular. Gossiping about everyone and no-one, watching Big Brother and other mindless shows and at the end of their time I'd like to ask the embarassing question: What have you done with your lives apart from yak endlesly on the phone, watch mindless programmes that teach you very little, if anything.

Where is the adventurous spirit and actually DOING things rather than idly chatting about them?

My irritation is that I want the average Female to get more out of their lives instead of filling up every available minute yakking about nothing in particular to fill up their time.'

I think it's a sad reflection of society when someone like yourself makes such judgements on young women.

If these 'women' you are talking about are teenagers then quite frankly it sounds to me like they're just being teenage girls- what's wrong with that? They're not doing any harm, and they're not judging you as you are them. And please tell me what exactly had you done that was so amazing when you were their age that makes you look down on them so much?

I'm guessing you don't have teenage girls Simonet?

ImpetuousVrouw Wrote:

> I know men who fit the description Mr S has given

> too.

Yes but its all about proportion and scale and degree IV.

I know or have known Women who are physically aggressive but its clearly a more common trait in a Male but, of course, that does not mean all Males are agressive or even a majority of Males are aggressive but what irritates me is that if I said that truism no-one would say a word as its so obviously correct ( quite rightly imo ) but if one makes an equivalent negative Female observation or generalisation then its a different story.

I've seen the way the 2 genders are treated differently in Offices all my life when it comes to receiving criticism.

With a Male its much more to the point and firm with a Woman its, usually, "Er,Joan I've got a teensy-weensy little point and don't worry its NOT your fault and its no problem and I really don't need to say it for the future but would you mind, if its fine with you that is, and take this the wrong way and its not personal if you ,,,,,,,,,,,,zzzzzzz" lol

david_carnell Wrote:

> Could someone explain the etymology of the word

> "fierce" when applied to people please.

>

> I keep hearing it used in a positive sense and

> have no idea how, what, when or why. I feel old.

It was used in the Irish community as a term of approval or disapproval, but more often as an emphasiser.

So a a good evening would be one where the 'craic' had been 'fierce', a less successful one might be described as 'fierce bad'.

A rainy day which prevented a fellow from working might elicit the comment 'Feckin' weather is fierce altogether'.

That was my experience anyway, maybe it was a local thing.

American gay men use it as a term of approval these days.

When they have been alone, either walking home, at bus stops etc and have been worried about attracting the attention of predatory males, they feel far less vulnerable if they are chatting into a phone. It also means that they don't have to talk/make conversation with them, if they don't want to.

Usually, by the time they have finished the real or pretend phone call, the male in question has lost interest and moved elsewhere.

Seems a bit strange to feel safer when out at night when distracted by your phone, then when fully aware of whats going on around you

Magpie Wrote:

> want to.

>

> Seems a bit strange to feel safer when out at

> night when distracted by your phone, then when

> fully aware of whats going on around you

I do this, and for all the reasons above. I am usually pretending to have a conversation, so am fully aware of what is going on around. Either that or talking about/describing the person I feel is watching me to Mr VBC. Even to his voicemail, just in case something happens, then at least there is a record of it.

I think it is terribly sad that as a woman I have to do this and have to find ways of protecting/preventing an attack. I do sometimes wonder if guys (drunk or not) realise how scary it is to be approached, benignly or otherwise.

I also feel terribly sad that because of a few men out there behaving in such ways, the knock on effect is that is causes other men to feel wary about approaching women.

Magpie Wrote:

> want to.

>

> Seems a bit strange to feel safer when out at

> night when distracted by your phone, then when

> fully aware of whats going on around you

I didn't actually say it only happened at night.

My youngest daughter can't even walk around in broad daylight, without being approached by men (sometimes twice her age), trying to strike up conversation/ask for her phone no. etc. She is 17 years old.

I think it is such a shame that nowadays, young women feel threatened when out alone and this happens, so they need to use their phones in this way.

When I was my daughters age (many years ago), it was fun & an ego boost being chatted up by a random guy.

Nowadays, it just causes fear & suspicion.

How times have changed, definitely not for the better.

zeban Wrote:

> Simonet your posts scream of serious issues.

Either you don't get it, won't get it or don't want to get it or can;t get it but I want Women to get more out of their lives than chatting aimlessly. It actually happened to me an hour ago.

Female friend wants to share her problems so she rings me tells me the story about how she and her Partner's Mother no longer speak,

Naturally her Partner is stuck in the middle so its "You tell her blah blah" and from the other party "you tell her blah blah". She then REPEATS the same point 3/4 more times when I actually understood the point the first time.

Why the constant repetition of the same point?

Strange that if I've got "issues" and serious ones, at that (!) that I stayed with someone last night, am seeing someone else during the day tomorrow, live with a female friend and have had 3 other Women phone or text me today. You would think one of them would gently let me know that I had "issues".

Though ONCE AGAIN I have to say that its a FEmale trait to accuse the other person ( Male or Female) of having issues when they say things that are unpalatable. lol

RosieH Wrote:

> Not remotely tetchy, just don't believe a word of

> any of your fabricated tales.

Based on a lifetimes experience RosieH.

Absolutely no need to fabricate anything at all. I've plenty of anecdotal stories and when one sees the same things over and over then one notices a pattern forming.

Are you , seriously, telling me that in your work experience that Women, overall, are not treated more "gently" when it comes to receiving the blame or criticism because, I don't believe a word of it, if you do as 2 people's life experiences can not be so dissimilar.

Oh my god, I hadn't seen the post above.

Hilarious, the lady friend stories. How could I have forgotten?

Any of these ladies a wee bit younger than you Simonet, and look up to you no end, and any of them your cleaner? Absolutely corking. Priceless.

but I want Women to get more out of their lives than chatting aimlessly. It actually happened to me an hour ago.

Then what in the name of all that is holy are you doing prattling on with your blatantly made-up stories on here? As they used to say on the tellybox, Why don't you..?

RosieH Wrote:

> Oh my god, I hadn't seen the post above.

>

> Hilarious, the lady friend stories. How could I

> have forgotten?

>

> Any of these ladies a wee bit younger than you

> Simonet, and look up to you no end, and any of

> them your cleaner? Absolutely corking. Priceless.

That don't look up to me RosieH.

In fact they spend most of the time talking about themselves. I even called my friend "Mimi" yesterday as its all about "me me me" as far as she is concerned.

I don't have a cleaner but if you are offering?? I pay top rates and I just KNOW we will get along like a house on fire.

Are you up for a bit of washing and tidying and general cleaning ?

p.s. As a little incentive I got regale you with my VERY amusing anecdotes and vignettes while you are working!

p.p.s. Please supply your own pinny though.

Deal ?

RosieH Wrote:

> but I want Women to get more out of their lives

> than chatting aimlessly. It actually happened to

> me an hour ago.

>

> Then what in the name of all that is holy are you

> doing prattling on with your blatantly made-up

> stories on here? As they used to say on the

> tellybox, Why don't you..?

Thats how far you are from reality RosieH as none have been exaggerrated, let alone, "made up".

Perchance which one(s) do you not believe and I will elaborate giving any details of time/place etc.

Now don't get all "Girly" and coy with me RosieH .

What about my kind offer ?

I assume you are unemployed at the moment, doubtless, "just resting " from permanent work. lol

This could be a great career opportunity, especially if you can cook, as well !

Oh! Do say YES !!!!