East Dulwich! Forest Hill! Sydenham! Where to live?

Spangles30

Yes but Keef....you're of course right that you are able to access all the best bits of East Dulwich from all the aforementioned areas, BUT the fact is they're not there on your door step - and however much I slag the trendy stuff and yummy mummies off; not to mention the hussle and bussle on Saturdays I WOULD BLOODY WELL MISS IT!

Everytime I view these nice properties further afield I have found myself wishing they were in areas a bit more like where I currently live. It is for this reason that I will probably end up staying put, even though you can't swing a cat in my house and I have a family. Oh well.

I have always much preferred more urban living to residential suburbia - the latter terrifies me actually.

Gerrard is quite right to say one must be cautious about 'up and coming areas' (estate agents speak for starters). New Cross is exactly the same 15 years later, and so is Nunhead!

I have lived in Honor Oak and Forest Hill and moved to Sydenham last year and definately prefer this area. It is greener and feels like a more stable community, one reason I can think of for this is that there seem to be a lot of family homes here and less flats. From what I can gather the area has been mainly 'middle class' for some time it's just that the high street has not reflected this. You don't have to wander far to find lots of leafy roads with lovely houses (the Thorpe estate is one example - a conservation area just to the north of Sydenham road - part of a larger conservation area that includes most of the high street now). But things are really looking up for the area. The Dolphin underwent a major facelift and reopened last December. It is now managed by the people who run the Dartmouth Arms in Forest Hill. It's a family- friendly gastro pub with fantastic garden. The Blue Mountain cafe is opening another branch at the top of the high street. And there is a lot more in the pipeline. We also have fantastic train links to central London. Trains run every five or ten minutes most of the day. There, the advert finishes!

Benndant, that's interesting about Sydenham. I agree with you that the High St. is rubbish (you didn't say that exactly, but reading between the lines...). The Blue Mountain Cafe is opening there then? Is that near Sydenham train station? I always found Sydenham a bit suburban, and Penge-like (OK so it isn't as bad as Penge....).

*Takes a deep breath.... anticipating Penge lovers to come out of the woodwork and lambast me for that comment!*

Certainly people are being nicer about Sydenham than other surrounding areas. I actually saw a house I quite liked on Sydenham Pk Rd, not far from the Dartmouth Rd which it intersects. How is that area?

I think I am a bit scared of 'family' areas ironically, even though ED is unquestionably over run with 'em. Perhaps this is because ED is full of 'kidults' (a bit like me, if I am honest).

Anyway, I have given myself a few more days before making my definite decision!

Keef, New Cross has Goldsmiths' - its only saving grace! Of course Telegraph Hill is New Cross.

Of course places change--doesn't anyone remember what Lordship Lane used to be called in the late 80's? And I guess the reference to Telegraph Hill must be tongue in cheek, bc those houses around the park cost a bloody fortune. We saw one for 700K that needed complete doing up.

The Sydenham revival may happen it may not. Pubs like the Dolphin can act as a catalist for regeneration as venues like the EDT did for ED (I knew the area 10 years ago). Whether it will come to much we shall see but it would be nice if it improved and it already is, and the pace seems to be quickening (have listed in above post). And the high street might look rubbish but it is very useful. Also has one of the best independent book shops in south London, a great health food shop (where you can get Ecover products not stocked in Somerfield) a Turkish deli. An excellent Nepalese restaurant. And all the usual stuff you would expect - a bakers, a proper green grocers (and lots of other shops selling fresh fruit and veg), three or four banks or building societies, a large post office, a pet shop, school uniform shop and a good DIY shop, two optitians and lots more. Everyone slags off the pound shops but even they are good for bits and bobs, they are just hardware shops really. Just google Sydenham if you want to find out more or check out the Sydenham Society website.

East Dullites? Resorting to 'virtual' insults now, are we? Sad.

"Brad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I do find Nunheadians

> seem to rant on and on about that fish shop.

I think you'd call it 'clutching at straws', Brad."

Very funny Bob.

Anyway, off to view another house, but this time near the Horniman. I think I could handle living in that area. By the way, I agree Crystal Place is OK, but it is just that bit too 'far away' for me. Also that very over rated 'triangle' bit has dreadfully heavy traffic, and I hate the way that a white van always parks on yellow lines outside a second hand furniture shop when you are just about to turn right into whatever the road is called with Woolworth on it.

That was not intended to be an insult - had that been my intention I may have gone for East Dullards. But that is not how I feel.

What is the correct word? East Dulwichians. East Dulwichers? East Dulothians? I genuinely don't know.

If anyone other than Spangles30 was offended then please accept my humblest apologies.