Motorbike parking alternatives?

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bobbsy, I think that if there is a requirement for

> mobility scooters to be registerd then the same

> should apply to other motorised vehicles.

As I said above, why should mobility scooters have to be registered when once registered there's no requirement for licensing, maintenance, MOT etc? What's the point? Who benefits?

Rendel, I don't know exact reasons behind requirement to register but would guess it is a means to ensure only disabled folk use them and that they meet certain standards of roadworthiness in terms of safety all round. The latter point is probably pertinent to all road users...I am thinking of my recent near miss at night of a cyclist clad in dark clothing with no lights.

first mate Wrote:

> Rendel, I don't know exact reasons behind

> requirement to register but would guess it is a

> means to ensure only disabled folk use them and

> that they meet certain standards of roadworthiness

> in terms of safety all round. The latter point is

> probably pertinent to all road users...I am

> thinking of my recent near miss at night of a

> cyclist clad in dark clothing with no lights.

Not as far as I can see, anyone can register a scooter - you don't need a doctor's certificate or similar, it's just like registering a zero rated car for VED, in fact until they were abolished road used mobility scooters had to have a "zero" tax disc. Technically the rules say you mustn't use a mobility scooter unless you "have trouble walking because of an injury, physical disability or medical condition
" but there's no requirement to prove that medically - it's not like applying for a blue badge, for example.

As may be obvious, I am a very keen cyclist and defender of cyclists' rights: I would be happy to see cyclists riding without lights at night pulled over and given on the spot fines of ?100, no problem with that.

Rendel I know that and really was not having a go. It is as you say but and 'tis a small but, I guess that a declaration with DVlA that one is disabled enough to require a class 3 MS, might be used as evidence in some way if for whatever reason the MS was involved in something untoward. I'd imagine a false declaration to DVLA mught carry a heavy penalty...well that's the theory.

In regard to cycling canot ever see on the spot fines working..who would do it and how funded?

Didn't think you were! The thing is as far as I can see from DVLA forms there's absolutely no requirement in registering a Class 3 scooter to say anything about one's reason for needing it at all, so the need for the scooter is entirely self-assessed. Not saying that's good or bad, just that it would seem to remove the only real point to the DVLA's involvement at all.

It would have to be the police, and of course it would be difficult in these constrained times, applying fines. Still, I've seen quite a few "sting" operations in town recently where they've pulled over large numbers of cyclists for red light violations and ticketed them, no reason they couldn't do the same thing at night.

first mate Wrote:

> Yes, they could do dangerous cyclists and 20mph

> motoring violations together. I am soooo sick of

> being regularly nearly rear ended, simply for

> keeping to the speed limit.

That would suit me fine!