Motorbike parking alternatives?

Don't buy something you'll be bored with or outgrow powerwise in six months.

I'm not a biker (but I am a buyer of stuff) and I would suggest not buying something which you will only use very rarely to the full - so if you are mainly going to be a commuter than buying a big touring bike may be too much, unless you know that you will be taking it touring every holiday. There's only so much power you can use in a 20mph limited world. I have found that, as a car driver, hiring out-of-the-ordinary stuff when I need it is a better (financial) bet. Of course you don't want to buy something which makes your every-day use less enjoyable, safe, etc. (i.e. you don't absolutely need power steering on a car, but it really makes driving more pleasurable). And of course buying something which is multi-purpose may well be a good thing, as long as those are really purposes you will explore.

The one piece of technology which I think is key is ABS. It saved my hide a couple of times (both times when I made panic stops to avoid idiot pedestrians who wanted to win the Darwin awards). Also bear in mind that, in the same situation, it is harder to make a proper panic stop, ie without locking the wheels, on a powerful bike with powerful brakes than on a 125; in other words, the fact you may have never needed it on a 125 doesn't mean you won't need it on a bigger bike.

The most modern bikes, with slipper clutch, ride-by-wire and engine modes (google them if you don't know what these mean) are easier to ride than older, less powerful bikes without these contraptions, so much so that they might delude inexperienced riders into a false sense of security. I find it much easier to get a smooth power delivery on a new BMW S1000XR (with ca. 160hp) than on an old Bandit 600, for example.

The debate on the number of cylinders is very subjective. Twins without a slipper clutch nor ride-by-wire tend to provide a jerkier acceleration and a very strong engine brake , which some people don't like for city riding. Of course, YMMV big time.

Not all of us have health options to ride bicycles. I wish people would stop trying to sell cycling. Like the Council. Keep saying it's healthy. Well it would kill me, and also breathing in fumes is worse when exercising. No thanks. Stick with motorcycling. More fun too.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not all of us have health options to ride

> bicycles. I wish people would stop trying to sell

> cycling. Like the Council. Keep saying it's

> healthy. Well it would kill me, and also

> breathing in fumes is worse when exercising. No

> thanks. Stick with motorcycling. More fun too.

Probably shouldn't follow you off topic but I'll bite...breathing in fumes is bad for you so I'll carry on doing what creates the fumes, right? Electric bikes are now brilliant for those who can't physically cope with cycling, I had one during a period of severe ill health and it was great fun - more fun in London than when I had a motorcycle, in fact.

They are powered vehicles, thus should be registered. Very irresponsible to let them on as they are. Technically you are not correct rendelharris - the electric motor won't assist when you're travelling more than 25 km/h (15.5mph), but they are not limited to 15mph.

bobbsy Wrote:

> They are powered vehicles, thus should be

> registered. Very irresponsible to let them on as

> they are. Technically you are not correct

> rendelharris - the electric motor won't assist

> when you're travelling more than 25 km/h

> (15.5mph), but they are not limited to 15mph.

The motor is limited to that speed and cuts out if you're going faster than that. If you can go above that under your own steam, as many cyclists can, nothing wrong with that. Why is it irresponsible to allow a bicycle on the roads that's exactly the same as (apart from having a motor, obviously), and can't go any faster than, any other bicycle ridden by an averagely fit person? Do you want electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters registered too? They're powered vehicles...seems as though you want to create a problem where none exists.

Any electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters that travel on the road, yes. And you've hit on the point exactly - they are exactly the same as a normal bicycle EXCEPT they have a motor...therefore aren't the same at all.

bobbsy Wrote:

> Any electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters

> that travel on the road, yes. And you've hit on

> the point exactly - they are exactly the same as a

> normal bicycle EXCEPT they have a

> motor...therefore aren't the same at all.

I really don't see how I can debate this with you as you haven't given any reason why ebikes should be registered except that you think they should. They can't go any faster than an average cyclist, they can't do any more harm than an average cyclist, they're no bigger than an average bicycle, they're just as safe as an average bicycle and they can provide a way for the ill, disabled, elderly or those with journeys longer than they can manage unassisted to remain cycling instead of congesting public transport or using cars. Please can you just give your reason for saying they should be registered?

As mentioned above, when I was seriously ill and there was no way I could cycle normally (could just about manage flats, needed assistance uphill) I fitted an ebike kit to my normal bicycle. I researched the best kits etc for months and in looking at literally hundreds of pages and dozens of forums about ebikes I don't think I ever came across anyone suggesting they should be licensed.

Rendel, I've a feeling that roadworthy mobility scooters, the ones you don't want in cycle lanes because they go too slowly at a max speed of 8mph, have to be registered with DVLA- not trying to pick a fight again, just saying.

However, I note how you use disabled and elderly as part rationale for e-bikes. So many disabled would never have that option and I am sure you know that.

first mate Wrote:

> Rendel, I've a feeling that roadworthy mobility

> scooters, the ones you don't want in cycle lanes

> because they go too slowly at a max speed of 8mph,

> have to be registered with DVLA- not trying to

> pick a fight again, just saying.

>

> However, I note how you use disabled and elderly

> as part rationale for e-bikes. So many disabled

> would never have that option and I am sure you

> know that.

Yes you're quite right it seems - 8MPH mobility scooters have to be licensed. But then I think that's a nonsense as well, especially as no licence is required to drive them, they are not MOTd or require insurance etc etc - seems an entirely irksome and unnecessary layer of bureaucracy. Would gladly have that requirement removed.

Of course many disabled and elderly people can't use an ebike. But many can, and do!

We won't get back into the should mobility scooters be allowed in cycle lanes, I think we wrung (wrang?) the last drop out of that one previously! :-)

Because they have a motor and legally need to travel on the road - simple as that. I don't understand why you think something with a motor that travels on the road and needs to obey road rules should be excempt from registration? Should we exempt a normal car or motorbike because the driver/rider feels they need some assistance?

bobbsy Wrote:

> Because they have a motor and legally need to

> travel on the road - simple as that. I don't

> understand why you think something with a motor

> that travels on the road and needs to obey road

> rules should be excempt from registration? Should

> we exempt a normal car or motorbike because the

> driver/rider feels they need some assistance?

That's such a syllogistic argument, just because it has a motor it therefore should be treated the same as anything else with a motor! That's like saying my dog has four legs and a tail, my cat has four legs and a tail, therefore my dog is a cat...I can only restate what I've said above, ebikes are no faster than ordinary bicycles, no bigger and no more dangerous. If you say ebikes should be registered then why not bicycles - they have a motor, it just happens to be human! I'm sure as a cyclist yourself you wouldn't want that.

Yes, because a motor - is there anything else legally allowed on the road that has a motor which doesn't need to be registered? Should we exempt motorised bicycles just because you think they are handy for some people?

bobbsy Wrote:

> Yes, because a motor - is there anything else

> legally allowed on the road that has a motor which

> doesn't need to be registered? Should we exempt

> motorised bicycles just because you think they are

> handy for some people?

We're just going round in circles. Are they more dangerous than bicycles? Are they faster than bicycles? Is there in fact any difference between them and a bicycle apart from the fact that they have a small motor attached? It appears you just have some strange resentment of the fact that something with a motor doesn't need to be registered rather than any logical safety or any other argument to say they should - if you have such an argument please produce it, as you haven't yet. The fact that the very safety and regulations conscious EU sees no need to register them should tell you something.

Yeap, definitely going in circles. My argument has nothing to do with safety - you introduced that element - mine is completely to do with being a motorised vehicle. I believe motorised vehicles should be registered. You disagree - good for you!

bobbsy Wrote:

> Yeap, definitely going in circles. My argument has

> nothing to do with safety - you introduced that

> element - mine is completely to do with being a

> motorised vehicle. I believe motorised vehicles

> should be registered. You disagree - good for you!

Just restating a belief without any justification for it is not an argument, you know. Well, you go on believing that, they're not required to be registered and nobody apart from you seems to be suggesting they should be.