Roadworks/bus diversion Rye Lane

Twirly

I found myself on Rye Lane yesterday evening trying to get home from a doctors appt - like the poster above pointed out, the stop by the Station gave the codes for the nearest functioning bus stops but without a map it was useless information. I walked down to the bus stop at the end of Rye Lane by the Library as it seems to me quicker than walking down to the Clayton Road stop. Rye Lane was quite pleasant without the traffic, a much more relaxed vibe.

So, I eventually got a bus and we went all round the houses to come back out onto the route at the bottom of the Rye. Unfortunately, despite the appeals of several passengers pleading with him to let them off, our driver flew past the other buses dropping off passengers outside Tesco Express. Although the roadworks had been cleared away and there was no obvious reason why the stop was still out of action, TFL had failed to remove the out of action jacket.

Fortunately, it has since been removed and that particular stop is now fully open for business.

Well basically it seems you have a choice of walking up to the stop in Clayton Raod, or walking down to Tesco Metro at the southern end of Rye Lane, there's nothing inbetween. I caught the 63 from Elephant and Castle last night, and it went the route I would normally drive from Clayton Road (down Consort Road), then left into Heaton Road. Our bus did stop outside Tesco's last night - sorry to hear you're didn't The Minkey.

What I had forgotten is that the southbound bus stop by Peckham Library is still closed due to that bit of roadworks, so the bus is basically on diversion from there until Tesco's. Madness!

Luckily, it wasn't me wanting to get off at Tesco Express, Twirly, I just felt sorry for those who did.

Is the southbound stop just before the Library closed now? It was open on the 15th, that's where I caught it and it's a shorter walk from Rye Lane than the stop on Clayton Road. Damn, that's made the weekly shop very difficult. I don't have the stamina for Sainsbury's DKH so I rely on Morrissons. The shopkeepers along Rye Lane can't be very happy about things.

The stage at the Northern end of Rye Lane is now in preparation for resurfacing (the thames water works are in the final stage at the southern end). The reason the lane is entirely shut off is because the resurface is a deep one and as part of that the old tram rails are being removed too as they cause problems (breaking up the tarmac).

• 2 weeks later...

so i notice that they are now pretty much finished with resurfacing the north part of Rye Lane (apart from painting the lines on). However the bottom part is still the subject of Thames Water works. Does this mean the council simply wanted to use their budget before the year end and therefore had to push on with the resurfacing?

If so presumably the bottom part will not be resurfaced?

Sigh..no it doesn't mean that at all. They are waiting for Thames water to finish - can't resurface until they do and yes they are hassling Thames Water to get a move on and will be looking at measures that can be taken in future to get utility companies to be honest about how long work takes etc - it was in fact mentioned at the CC meeting on Thursday for Nunhead and Peckham Rye - the Council will be writing to Thames Water. The resurfacing incidently is on schedule.

Instead of presuming anything, go ask a local councillor. There has been so much nonsense posted on this thread.

i think i may be cynical, for some reason I'm expecting it to be ruined within 2 months, either from shopkeepers adding more of those annoying tarmac ramps, or Thames Water deciding that they botched their work up and therefore having to dig it up again.

I hope I'm wrong! (Im sure I will be!)

That is a relief then! I did not get a chance to get a proper look yesterday morning, as I was running late for my train due to my diverted bus, and I naturally assumed the worst with the road works. Sorry for causing concern!

Perhaps we should open a book as to how long it will be before they do start digging it up again though?

Tram lines: I went round to see my ex-neighbour last night who will be 95 in April and has always lived in the same house on Ivydale. I mentioned that I'd spent a couple of minutes watching the workmen removing the old tramlines from Rye Lane. Oh no, she says, the tram didn't run down Rye Lane, it went from Stuart Road, down the side of the Rye then across to Goose Green and along Denmark Hill to get into town.

So what are those bits of metal being dug up from Rye Lane and why does everyone think they are tram lines - did the horse tram which would have been and gone before her time, run a different route I wonder?

Tarmac ramps: They're back - spotted just yesterday servicing shops directly opposite the station entrance. That didn't take long - lol..!!

Seems a bit pointless to wage a war on the tarmac ramps. I suspect it is a war the Council will lose as you can buy ready made tarmac in packs and build a small ramp quickly and cheaply. Why not just help the shops out and have small dropped kerbs at regularish intervals?

Loathed to suggest this though as it would probably necessitate the Council shutting the road again while contractors took an age to install them.

i loathe the tarmac ramps as well, but I dont actually think it was shopkeepers who were responsible for those ones outside the station. I noticed when they were doing up the pavements that they lined up with the diverted walkway instead of their being the normal plastic ramps that are installed in such circumstances.