Plastic bags

bubbachumps

I think the email from the Op to G&B makes him/her look like a bit of a t1t and whilst I neither agree with your bag policy or the tone of some of the email you wrote I think bravo for sticking to your guns and not acquiescing to his pointless, inflammatory email.

OP - If you had a genuine issue why not just send a normal complaint.

I don't see how you can conclude the punter was forgetful LB. This was a person who made an off the cuff decision to purchase some wine. Someone who would normally have their own bag. Perhaps if you had a policy in cases like this of renting to the customer a suitable bag for its cost price which could be refunded next time they were in, it would solve the problem. For someone paying ?40 for a couple of bottles of wine, I imagine paying a little bit more would be no hardship and also get them onside with your policy.

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps if

> you had a policy in cases like this of renting to

> the customer a suitable bag for its cost price

> which could be refunded next time they were in,

Why should they bother - they have a policy that they stick to which supports the environmental campaign that they believe in. They have had 1 complaint in three years and other posters have said it encourages them to remember to bring an alternative.

Perhaps forgetful isn't quite the word. It's more remembering to have a bag with you whether or not you plan to shop, for those "just in case" times. I have one that folds up into something hardly bigger than a handy pack of tissues which is permanently in my handbag, and several in my car. It's just a change of mindset really.

I'll mention that idea to the staff, Narnia, thanks.

Because if I went in there without a bag and wanted to buy some wine, it would give me the option of returning the bag without being penalised.

Why shouldn't they bother? They are a business after all. I wouldn't want to see customers walk out the door empty handed because they had no 'free' means of transporting their bottles home.

This suggestion is nothing to do with one or any complaint. It's a suggestion ffs to help get round their hard line policy as one customer described it above.

Narnia's idea of a deposit for a reusable bag sounds like a winner. Paragon asked "Why should they bother"? Because it would be good customer service, and enable people to buy wine without planning ahead.

I completely reject the idea that not carrying a spare bag - just in case you decide to buy something - is either lazy of forgetful. I often don't carry a bag of any sort, as it's simply not necessary for my day-to-day activities. I'm not about to start carrying a bag, in which to carry a smaller bag, in case I decide to buy stuff.

I agree with Narina.

>> Why should they bother - they have a policy that they stick to which supports the environmental campaign that they believe in. They have had 1 complaint in three years and other posters have said it encourages them to remember to bring an alternative.

How do you know they only have 1 complaint in the past 3 years? Do all the posters here represent everyone in ED? The complaint is about her being a customer was called lazy and forgetful when she tried to communicate with the shop. G&B is right in terms of sticking to their policy, I think the OP would agree. But who do they think they are to punish their customers by calling them lazy and forgetful??? I dont think it is acceptable.

Cherrybear - the reference was to complaints we at the shop have actually received from customers on this subject, which is one in three years. And as you'll see from my earlier explanations, we did not call any of our customers lazy or forgetful. It's regretful that comments were interpreted as such, for which we have apologised.

We don't charge if you are within a 2 mile radius. If you are outside of the 2 mile radius and have spent over ?200 we don't charge. If you have spent under ?200 we charge ?10.

Whether or not you get same day delivery will depend on what it is you want, so best to call the shop and check. If we can do same day, we will.

Our suppliers aren't delivering over xmas and new year, so we may run out of one or two things if we are unlucky, but you should be able sort something out with us.

It's not often that I have bad things to say about the EDF but this is one of those times. What an abuse of the forum this thread is; unless I missed something and the EDF exists just to stick the boot into local businesses at the drop of a hat. Is that what we're about?

This, as an opening gambit from the OP is bang out of order and deserves an apology:

"I have heard people say Green and Blue are "up themselves" before, but this was the first time I had experienced it first time."

Inflamatory, much? Nasty. Spiteful.

The single most "up themselves" bit of prose I?ve read so far is the email written by Mr X to G&B. Is that supposed to be amusing? Because to me it's supercilious and sarcastic and that?s not how you talk to people.

Green & Blue has a policy in place, which it stands by. Good for them. They?ve apologised to you (needlessly I would say), they?ve offered you free wine, a free bag. How much more gracious would you like them to be? What would you like? Because it seems to me that what you would like is to do damage to a perfectly sound ED business. Vile.

It doesn't have to be a plastic bag offered but a potatoe starch or corn bag that breaks down and is compostable could go down well. Good on G&B to stick by their policy though. A cardboard box certainly stops the bottles from falling and breaking. Shame that this has escalated into this and LB has offered many apologies nice one LB. (Can i have my free bottle aswell now please?)

You know felt-tip, you've got me there. I can tell you about bag policy and ethically sourced alternatives and deliveries over Christmas. I can recommend a wine, try to mediate an argument, and implement new policies. I can entice you in for new year's eve, explain our new menus and espouse the virtues of our many wine courses.

But wrapping wine in paper?

Nope.

No idea.