virgin media in se22

lordship_bod

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> I'm b*&&?red when analogue finally goes - how do I

> get my radio fix?

I have a similar problem with radio, and now only use internet based radio. Your PC will do it and there are also standalone internet radio boxes that will connect to a wireless network - a bit overpriced at the moment, but coming down all the time, so by the time analogue radio goes off you'll be sorted. :)-D

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=503

The big issue in the past has been the BBC who wouldn't transmit their main stations in mp3 or compatible stream format, so products like this could use them. They've recently changed their policy so I can now get Radio 4 over the internet.

For what its worth I used to be an NTL user. Moved home within the area (just as it was being rebranded) and it was an unmitigated disaster. Without going into detail I showed them the finger despite many phone calls offering free months etc. Tried BT and wasn't impressed again and found their customer service even worse than Virgin (is that possible?). Opted for BE. Have 24mg line, unbelievable service, freephone customer service number and calls are answered within a few rings. Their web site is really user friendly and their communication about upgrades, servicing and billing top notch. What prompted me to post today was an email from them giving me 2 days FREE surfing because it's their 2nd birthday. I can't bear SKY and use Freeview or download progs/films (some in HD quality) that I want to watch. And yes I know ADSL means I probably dont always get the full 24mg, but it's still VERY fast and VERY reliable. Owned by O2 incase you're wondering.

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been listening to R4 over the internet for

> about 4 years so it's not that recent.

Absolutely - but I'm guessing using an .asx stream via the BBC website? Or Realplayer? So, via a computer.

What the BBC has recently done is open up a .mms stream, which means you can plug it into something like the Roku or Squeezebox and listen without having to have a PC on at the same time. Big plus (for me at least) as it's much more like using a radio proper.

I was with ntl and am now with Virgin, there is a problem with broadband if someone sends you an email over a certain MB size - it won't download and you have to delete it from their server. There are also persistent problems with the signal from Channel 4 and Hallmark: pixillation, sound blackouts, picture freezing. Other than that they are not too bad, and will even come out on a Sunday to fix a problem.

Hi Asset, yes that is with VM - tried pasting the link here but check out the website under offers (Broadband, Home phone and free TV for ?20)

Virgin isn't perfect, but I feel they offer value and what I need. Also Sky charge you if/when your box breaks down - Virgin doesn't

HD content wise the only channel they have on V+ is BBC HD, and a few programmesusing their On Demand services - although I suppose connecting your V+ box to your HD Ready TV (via HDMI) will upscale the picture - but still not full HD (Sky has over 10 HD channels curently)

Am waiting for a deal on V+ (heard rumours it will be soon) - at present am happy with the basic digital TV and my new LCD arriving this morning...

• 3 weeks later...

This is pure gold.

If you are having problems with Virgin media then try this.

My mate reckons he has tracked down their only conscientious call centre employee.

Dial 0800 953 9500, choose option 1 then insist on talking to Kylie.

I tried it and after weeks of waiting on hold and getting the run-a-round we now have phone, TV and broadband.

Thanks Kylie. Sorry Kylie...

My experience of Virgin Media was terrible.

Wrongly installed box so VM bloke had to come out twice

terrible NTL handset

box blew and took out my modem with it

channels often froze transforming 'on demand' into no demand

awful on screen display - all that type out black ain't a good idea

and to cap it all paying for tech support.

Am now on sky + which is great apart from being phoned and sent letters almost daily.

ap

I had to phone VM today as my set top box is stuck on the word PACE and not connecting. They can't send someone to fix it until Monday evening. Absolute pain in the butt as i'm off work with a stinker of a cold and was looking forward to a dose of crap tv!

Am I the only person in East Dulwich still with only five channels? I've been thinking of upgrading for a long time but don't watch enough TV. This thread has certainly put me off Virgin Media and I'm not sure I want to deal with the Devil (Murdoch). What to do?

Oh! and get well soon Shambles.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am I the only person in East Dulwich still with

> only five channels? I've been thinking of

> upgrading for a long time but don't watch enough

> TV. This thread has certainly put me off Virgin

> Media and I'm not sure I want to deal with the

> Devil (Murdoch). What to do?

> Oh! and get well soon Shambles.

FIVE channels !!!! how do you cope ?

jah get sky + and you,ll wonder how you lived without it, its simply the most important discovery since penicillin.

freeview isnt too bad but you,re very dependant on having a decent reception so its not the most reliable system

virgin i admit i dont know a great deal about but as far as i know they have some channels missing off their package as sky wouldnt give them the access.

so i would go for sky +, its so good that if you,re out and about and have forgotten to record your favourite programme you can send it a text and it will record it,now thats clever.

Years ago there was a photo of John Thaw and Dennis Waterman in the Herne and I was told they filmed part of an episode in the pub. This was confirmed by one of the new owners who told me that a director or producer of the programme owned the Herne once.