virgin media in se22

lordship_bod

Hi all

Has anyone had these guys round to install broadband/tv/phone at all?? I only ask because i've had these guys visit my place 4 times now, and after 4 visits they still havent been able to connect me to anything remotely useful!?! What really bugs me is that each time a different bloke turns up, and each time they have a different excuse as to why they cant do the job (and i've taken 4 days off as holiday for this pleasure!). Am just about ready to through in the towel now and go with sky (yes murdoch is evil, but i'm fed up of my 5 boring channels!)

I was wondering whether anyone else in the area has had similar problems or whether i've just got the short straw. thanks.

When I moved in we took out NTL cable & broadband - same sort of hassle you have experienced L_B but once over have had very few problems with NTL and then, on its takeover by Virgin, with Virgin. The Virgin V+ box is good news and a great alternative to Sky +.

Hang on in there - it should come good.

NOTE: When Virgin took over prices fell by order of 20%.

Yep lordship_bod i no exactly how you feel. It took 5 weeks and 4 visits before VM finally got their act together. The problem is Virgins left arm doesnt no what its right arm is doing!! To cap it all VM only refunded 2-weeks installments even though we did not have any service for 5...

ooooh, the thought of virgin media does fill me with rage a little! im sorry to say that i had the exact same issue with trying to have virgin media broadband installed at my house.....and after several failed visits and then also several failed attempts to reschedule my appointments (they finally gave me a saturday appointment, only to call me on that friday to confirm my "wednesday" appointment with me.....proceeded to tell me that a saturday slot was NEVER booked for me...even though i was holding in my hand a written letter of confirmation for it!) - by this point, i questioned whether the guy on the phone in fact had a brain, and then swiftly asked to be transferred to the cancellation dept! which, i have to say was the most efficient part of the VM, as they cancelled my contract and refunded my installation fee i had already paid in one day!

soo, my advice would be, try someone else!!

p.s. sorry for the rant!

Virgin + is good. Being able to record 2 things and watch another is great. I'm not a big film and sports fan on the telly, so Virgin + is great for me. If you are in the same position, why not consider Freeview? You can get boxes that have the ability to record too and there is the top-up card. Nero

there are large areas of East Dulwich which have only just been upgraded. The cable is from the old videotron network which was bad and I guess they are having problems due to this. I am not defending them and I know their customer service is shoddy at best. I have been with Virgin/ntl for 9 years now and it is actually better now!

In my opinion 'cable' broadband far outstrips 'ADSL' broadband (i.e. through a BT line) due to the technology involved. With ADSL your speed and sevice relies significantly on how many others are on it and how far you are from the local exchange (closer the better!)

I would perservere - I have 20mb broadband on Virgin and it is FAST (I have 4 computers connected).

The only issues I have had over the last years for example are mainly due to drop outs connected with work going on in ED.

Freeview is OK but you cannot get the premium channels

SKY is excellent for the first year (but expensive) and if your box goes wrong after the year the customer has to pay for repairs - not good. With Virgin you rent the equipment so if it goes wrong (not often) they will just swap it out!

No I do not work for them but I have a good deal and just offering my opinion.

I bought a Thomson Freeview box for ?100 from Comet a couple of weeks ago,and it is great - no subscription to pay (though you can get Top Up TV whatever that is). Has two tuners to record two programmes while watching another, can pause live tv, and an electronic programme guide. Most useful gadget I've ever bought I think.

I have VM installed, TV, Phone and Broadband. I had to wait a few weeks for installation, however, there were no problems with the actual installation, the chaps that did it were helpful and tidy. The service has been great ever since.

I used to work for VM and can honestly say they are worth sticking with and as a company can be trusted, they are well aware their customer service needs imporvement and are actively working towards that. It has already improved and continues to improve.

blinder999 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I bought a Thomson Freeview box for ?100 from

Think they saw you coming!! Mine was ?25!

> You can get Top Up TV whatever that is

Is is a bunch of robbers that screwed their customers. I got my freeview box for this, mainly Eurosport, so I coudl watch sports that don't involve a ball. Anyway, after 3 months they strip it out and say it's not part of their Freeview Anytime. (Basically rolling repats every day, ala Sky.) Phones to ask what the benefit for me was to be told, "We show lots of football." Explained what i got it for, but they coudl not tell me if they would be showing anything other than football. So I cancelled.

All these tales of horror about delayed installations is why I stick with BT Broadband. I can;t afford to run the risk of being without service, due to my work.

We had V+ and broadband installed about 6 months back and have had no problems.

Plus its SO cheap! I don't quite know how they work out the bill, but it always come in around ?35 for telephone, family pack tv channels, 2MB broadband and V+ (like sky+)

DON'T GO NEAR VIRGIN MEDIA

lying, cheating, scumbags.

when they took over the ntl contact they over charged me by 100% for 3 months and then it took me another 2 months to get them to disconnect it. They didn;t refund me the money as i refused to pay for the extra 2 months it took them to disconnect me. You can NEVER get through on the phone either. In the end I had to literally beg the guy on the end of phone to cancel my contract and stop sending me bills. Probably the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. I even wrote to the MD recorded delivery but never heard back. (6)

That is very interesting susyp and it is a shame you had such a poor experience.

Just to clear something up - Virgin did not takeover ntl. ntl/Telewest bought the mobile arm of Virgin but as Virgin is such a strong brand they rebranded.

I have had significant issues at times but have always persevered with them and got a conclusion

i have just phoned them actually to complain about an intermittant prolem with the EPG (electronic program guide) which has been a problem for a while (for me at least). The guy I spoke to was very apologetic and has even credited me with ?15. it appears that there is a known problem with the EPG which will run until the end of October.

It would take a lot to convince me to change to BT and an ADSL broadband connection and Sky is too expensive.

We've got TV, broadband and home phone for ?20 - EXCELLENT value but if you want the HD content, and the easy of the EPG then maybe Sky is for you

Considering V+ but ?150 installation (!) and ?5 a month after that (if you are not on the top TV package) is a little steep

Sorry chaps but I ordered virgin cable and had it installed exactly when they said. I'm in Adys Rd and couldn't get a signal with a booster arial (wonky BBC1, ITV ok and others variable). Also can't get DAB radio to work in any room. My bro has a theory that it bounces back off the tall school building. Virgin did everything they promised for me.

I'm b*&&?red when analogue finally goes - how do I get my radio fix?