Royal Mail Sorting Office Closure Meeting..

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The sale of sorting office was never about RM

> customers and probably all about asset-stripping

> the property portfolio.

To be fair, the East Dulwich delivery office was no longer fit for purpose as it could not handle the amount of parcels and packets with the increase in online ordering.

However Royal Mail do not appear to have looked at any other options than moving all the work to Peckham.

As far as ED-ers are concerned, the main (indeed only) problem about the move should be the inconvenience of travelling to Peckham to pick up undelivered mail. Where Royal Mail chooses to sort the mail, how it chooses to organise its delivery staff, should be its problem to sort out effectively. Equally, it should have planned to provide sufficient staff and 'windows' to support a doubling (or so) of callers to collect stuff. It's failure to deliver locally daily over 6 working days (often in a week at all), to deliver mail in a timely fashion, not to lose stuff, is a complete failure of management and planning.

Instead of one problem (Peckham is too far away and inconvenient) Royal Mail has presented us with multiple problems and failures, none, other than the location of Peckham, inherent in its plan.

This is a complete and disgraceful failure of management. And is inexcusable. I lived through the mantra of 'right first time' when working in an associated business - and it is a good (and economic) way to run a business. Royal Mail profits are falling, that is its cost of failure and of failing.

Sue Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The sale of sorting office was never about RM

> > customers and probably all about

> asset-stripping

> > the property portfolio.

>

>

> To be fair, the East Dulwich delivery office was

> no longer fit for purpose as it could not handle

> the amount of parcels and packets with the

> increase in online ordering.

Yes but I guess that they could have shifted some of the delivery routes to Peckham - and left the remainder at East Dulwich. The prime motivation for the move was to be able to sell the site and make some money.

As an aside, there was a RM posties bag (empty) just left on the pavement down the street from my house all weekend. I've never seen this happen before and to me it's just another sign that all is not well.

I am coming in new to this thread, so am wondering what exactly is on the agenda of the council meeting? I?m hoping it?s general dissatisfaction with the postal service as well as loss of our local sorting office? We have had at least 2 items of important mail not turn up over the last couple of weeks or so, and obviously I?m worried about the post we don?t know about!

Thanks

I would think the issues are:-

(1) Poor service before (as a consequence of the closure announcement) and since the closure of Sylvester Road Sorting Office. This is evidence of bad management and planning. This includes (very many) missed deliveries - with some houses receiving only one delivery or fewer a week, rather than 6. It also includes lost items and failed re-deliveries. First Class Mail is mainly not being delivered 'next working day' on a very regular basis.

(2) The apparent (but not proven) abandonment of the re-delivery promise made both to to our MP and on the circular some received about the move.

(3) The very poor (long queues and long waiting times) collection service offered from Peckham.

and (4) the fact that the Peckham office is too far for many SE22 people to be able to get to; such that a local alternative collection point (asked for by our MP) should now be instituted, outwith (see 3 above) any of the complete failures to offer an effective collection service to those able to get to Peckham.

It is also worth raising the practical issue of mail sorting in the street once rainy weather becomes the seasonal norm.

And also that complaints to Royal Mail customer services, with the response that this will be "forwarded to the delivery office manager to be resolved within 48 hours" or words to that effect, are completely ineffective, since the relevant manager seems unwilling or unable to act on them.

In my case this was a requested redelivery of a tracked item which never arrived on the requested day, inaccurate/incomplete information on the tracking page, and being told by customer services that it would be re-redelivered on the following Monday (which it wasn't).

Didn?t someone say earlier in this thread that people should just chill-out and show understanding of the RM?s teething problems in moving the sorting office function to Peckham !!!!!

?Chill-out? guys, it?s only your letters, parcels, credit cards, huge chunks of your day wasted queuing, re-delivery requests ignored and time wasted waiting at home for same.

?Relax?.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Bic Basher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've had no post at all this week. I'm

> expecting

> > my regular delivery of subscription razor

> blades

> > which were paid for on Saturday and still

> haven't

> > turned up.

>

> Bic razors?

Ha! No.

I'm sure I saw a trolley left unoccupied earlier with letters hanging out of it on Goodrich Road today at the LL end.

>I'm awaiting a mortgage deed in the post from my solicitor that he posted on Monday I'm awaiting a mortgage deed in the post from my solicitor that he posted on Monday

That's brave... I always actually went into the solicitors office for this kind of thing. Feels much safer.

It's not a local solicitor otherwise I would have.

Just spoken to Royal Mail on the phone, the route has only been "partially covered" since Monday so who know if it will actually get here at all. They've recommended I go down to the sorting office but given recent reports I don't know if that's going to help.

Can your solicitor not send a copy on guaranteed tracked and signed for next day delivery?

I don't know what they call it now. Royal Mail Special Delivery I think.

Surely Royal Mail can't f*** that up?

ETA: I'm wondering why s/he didn't do that in the first place given its importance and the fact it is time critical?

You can get Saturday delivery for an additional charge (supposedly).

Had to go to pick up a parcel today. After hearing and reading all the stories about the queues in Peckham sorting office I got up before 7 to get there and arrived first (well before 8 o'clock). They've found my parcel (phew) and I left the place exactly at 8:02 - there were already about 15+ people in the queue.