Royal Mail Sorting Office Closure Meeting..

I was dreading going to Highshore Road this morning to collect a 'signed for letter' after a Saturday redelivery failed to arrive. I was surprised to see only one other customer being served when I arrived. No queue at all. The man at the counter was very cheerful. It was nothing like what I was expecting. I might have been very lucky today.

It's a private company now and should be avoided just like any private concern that cannot deliver (not intended) it's services that have been paid for. Problem is they have a monopoly (although diminishing by the year) with their infrastructure and customer base.

We don't yet know, do we, to what extent the local problems may have been just transitional? Or, if they've been more fundamental, how easily and quickly they can be overcome? In either case, I'd suggest giving it a little more time before coming to any firm conclusions.

We don't yet know, do we, to what extent the local problems may have been just transitional? Or, if they've been more fundamental, how easily and quickly they can be overcome? In either case, I'd suggest giving it a little more time before coming to any firm conclusions.

Poor/ No service has been an experience for many since mid-end July. And is continuing for some at least (my deliveries are, currently, daily but this has only been true so far this week alone, and no delivery yet today). I have not received a weekly journal on the normal delivery day - Friday - for 13 weeks running. That means that Royal Mail has been offering poor or no service to people in SE22 for a quarter of the year. So far. 'A little more time' gives us the next mile-stone at half a year. And will include Christmas when the post is anyway (and understandably) under stress.

The move was poorly planned and the loss of staff suggests very poor staff management and planning. I know that emergency posties were being drafted in from North London just before the closure, and probably after. Assurances to our MP have been reneged on (apparently) and proper provision for close to a doubling of activity at Peckham was never made. Sorting mail on the street (particularly as normal winter weather closes in) cannot be an acceptable 'new normal' surely?

I think they have now been given enough rope - more than enough - and continued letting them off the hook is now unacceptable. We have the rope, we have the hook, now to fulfil the metaphor...

We have been told that the service is back to normal, but we know that they don't have enough staff to run the service in the normal way, without resorting to additional measures. Last week I saw and spoke to the postman who had been my regular one before the change. He was delivering letters elsewhere in East Dulwich, so I asked if that was his new area - it wasn't. Although it was early afternoon, he said he was doing it on overtime.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We don't yet know, do we, to what extent the local

> problems may have been just transitional? Or, if

> they've been more fundamental, how easily and

> quickly they can be overcome? In either case, I'd

> suggest giving it a little more time before coming

> to any firm conclusions.

'Transitional' for crying out loud- if ALL businesses were reactive rather than proactive then there would be very few successful businesses. They KNEW the volume of post etc they had to deal with and the number of residents in ED... it is shoddy and totally unacceptable.

The October/November issue of The Peckham Peculiar has a piece headed "Royal Fail" which ends with a statement from "A Royal Mail spokeswoman" which includes "She added that customers can use the free redelivery service, which means their item can be redelivered to their address or another in the same postcode area - including on Saturdays - by calling the number on their delivery card."

Yeh, right. Redelivered at a time of Royal Mail's choosing, not redelivered at the time requested of, and specified by, the customer.

Several days this week we've had no post at all - which is pretty unlikely. In addition we get 2 magazines delivered on Fridays for the kids and these still haven't arrived. I've reported it on twitter and Royal Mail help just continue to say there are no known problems! Also that unless its signed for mail there seems to be no chance of them conceding there is an issue.

"We don't yet know, do we, to what extent the local problems may have been just transitional? Or, if they've been more fundamental, how easily and quickly they can be overcome? In either case, I'd suggest giving it a little more time before coming to any firm conclusions."

Who cares what the reason is ?

That's like saying that it's the diners' responsibility to deal with and make allowances for the cock-ups at a new restaurant or a restaurant that is undergoing transition, regardless that they've paid for the meal with their hard-earned money. There's always a reason, but when you're waiting on a decent service it's all sounding a bit blah blah blah. I don't know what conditions would make it OK to have to spend repeated visits and hours of one's personal time per parcel, especially when RM may not have even attempted to deliver it to you in the first place !

Just arranged a redelivery for a missed item - noticed on the redelivery website there's the option to have your item redelivered to your local post office for collection for 70p. I know, you shouldn't have to pay extra for something they should do anyway, but if you're a long way from Peckham worth considering and cheaper than the bus fare and whatever you consider your time worth queuing.

I thought the same and arranged for a parcel to be redelivered to the post office on Lordship Lane. I went alomg today and they sifted through a massive Santa's stack of parcels before saying it hadn't arrived yet. When I said it was due yesterday, they said that this has beem happenimg. So no parcel yet.

We get post every other day if we are lucky. No doubt the package of new swimwear for the kids that should have been here by now will arrive after we leave for holiday tomorrow. Rubbish service. Also have items to send back to Amazon that have to be taken back to a royal. All delivery office to send (?!) and just can't face the faf of going to Peckham. How did they think this was a good idea?!

Amanda1979 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We get post every other day if we are lucky. No

> doubt the package of new swimwear for the kids

> that should have been here by now will arrive

> after we leave for holiday tomorrow. Rubbish

> service. Also have items to send back to Amazon

> that have to be taken back to a royal. All

> delivery office to send (?!) and just can't face

> the faf of going to Peckham. How did they think

> this was a good idea?!

I normally do Amazon returns at the Post Office, as long as you print the returns label off, they just scan it and take it off you.

Hmm I missed a parcel on Thurs. Booked redelivery for earliest date available (Sat) and waited in all day. Of course it never came. Do I now assume it's in Peckham tomorrow and go there? I'll call them obviously but don't want to miss home delivery while out and it's quite important I get this package ASAP before I go into labour! Very frustrating.

I booked an Amazon return today too but realised my error when I saw it would have go to sorting office. Cancelled and rebooked service I can drop at PO on LL.

All very annoying to have such an unreliable service!

Can?t believe they?ve closed the East Dulwich office. Missed a delivery and now need to go to Peckham to collect my parcel. As it?s only open for a limited number of hours during the day (and I work)., I?ll not be getting it. Will be very careful not to order anything which comes via Royal Mail from now on.